Notices

Do I need to change my sobriety date?

Old 08-08-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mlw

Do I need to change my sobriety date?

I have been sober now for 10 months. Due to my a.d.d., about a month and a half ago, my doctor started prescribing me to vyvanse. I have never liked using uppers, but being on this prescription before I know that it works well. I asked for the lowest dose because I was worried that I would become addicted. My doctor disagreed with me, but respected my wishes. Also, I am overweight which effects how well the pill works.The first month it was fine, I felt the pill working. After the second month I found myself unable to concentrate. I started taking two pills a day without my doctors knowledge, because he was unavailable when I called the office. It was working very well. I was able to concentrate during classes and complete all of my homework. I was not chasing the high, in fact it made me very anxious and I could never just relax, and I don't like that feeling. I just wanted to be able to concentrate in school and actually learn what I was studying. Do I need to change my sobriety date because I was taking too much of my medication without my doctors knowledge?
Old 08-08-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
I can't really answer that question about your sobriety date.
Just glad you found your way here.
Hope you'll stick around and participate in the forums.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi mlw

First of all congratulations on 10 months sober - that is awesome

I think you need to pay another visit to your doctor and explain to him/her what you have just laid out in your post - mentioning your concerns about addiction.

For the record I don't think you need to change your sobriety date but I don't think that is the most important thing here which is to receive the correct tratment for your condition
Old 08-08-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is up to you to decide. You did cross a guideline by taking more than prescribed, yet your intention was not to get high but to be able to function better.

I can see why this is confusing for you.

What does your gut instinct say? What are the consequences of changing your sobriety date vs not changing the date? Do you feel like you relapsed or do you feel like you were doing something you needed to do to take care of yourself?

Nobody has the right to judge and point fingers and force you to change your sobriety date.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Mlw youl find so much support here nice to meet you
Old 08-08-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome mlw

It sounds to me like your Dr was probably right and you needed a bigger dose

It's always best to check before you change doses, but I do see you tried doing that and your intent was good

if it was me, based on your post, I wouldn't consider myself relapsed

D
Old 08-08-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

MLw, My Dr sub. me anxiety meds at the beginning . I believe If I hadn't had something , there's no way I would have made it this long . Some people with health problems ( I think ) needs that extra little bit of help .
I used the full dose for at least the first 3 months . I'm not going to cut those 3 months off my sober date !! I didn't pick up a drink
Old 08-08-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is not medical advice. It's meant only to put your decision in context.

According to the Vybrid PI (assuming the one I found was current) the recommended starting dose is 30mg with a target dose of 50-70mg. The maximum dose is 70mg.

While you should always talk to your doctor first, assuming you were started on 30mg per day and began taking two pills, your dose of 60mg is right in the middle of the target dose range recommended by the company.

So, not only were you not intending to abuse the medication, your ultimate dose was probably within the ideal therapeutic range (again- that's between you and your doctor though).

Congratulations on ten months!
Old 08-08-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 10 months of sobriety!

Since your dr prescribed this and you tried to reach him about changing the dosage, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Mlw!!
Old 08-09-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would only change my sobriety date if I honestly felt I crossed the line. Only you can decide that.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Huge congrats on 10 months. If your post is 100% honest, then I think you only took the dose your doctor probably wanted to give you in the first place, and for the same reason. Like others have said, only you can decide, but personally I think you absolved yourself just by asking the question here.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 10 months