SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Tomorrow is 9 months! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/373201-tomorrow-9-months.html)

blueberry2015 08-08-2015 11:18 AM

Congratulations!

newpage119 08-08-2015 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by RogerD (Post 5502326)
Awesome, can you share more on what worked for you? Meetings, this site,... Maybe, a little more about your plan. I would find this helpful. Thanks

Hi Roger,
Sure....I would be glad to share what is seeming to work for me!

This site. I read every day, pay particular attention to the long-timers! Also it has been drilled into my head that moderation doesn't work. Not ever. So no question about when or if to moderate. Never. I made that mistake once, don't want to make it again....fool me once.....

I don't do meetings. The first couple of months I read every book I could find on alcoholism and recovery. Favorites were Recovery 2.0 by Tommy Rosen, Quit the Drink by Jason Vale, Rational Recovery. Watched movies and documentaries....

I was an after work drinker. Grabbed a beer or a glass of wine the instant I walked in the door. Changed that habit to a non-alcoholic drink, some sort of fruit juice mixed with club soda. Fresh limes....
And indulged in a snack to tide me over till dinner.
THAT helped a lot...and don't worry about the calories here. You are saving a ton by losing the alcohol.
Even with 5 flavors of ice cream in my freezer, and enjoying a dish every evening, I have lost 20+ pounds in 9 months.

Avoid dangerous situations and people. You know what and who they are. People you always hung out and drank with....
Either find some other thing to do with them, or avoid them until you are solid in your recovery.
DON'T GO TO BARS!!!!

Exercise. Take up meditation and/or yoga. Find a way to relax your mind. You will no longer be numbing yourself with alcohol.

Keep track of your progress and reward yourself with something nice.

I actually started getting up earlier and going to bed earlier. I found I enjoy the daylight hours, so much more to do. And I am never tempted to drink alcohol in the daytime.

I find that at 9 months, I am no longer interested in drinking alcohol anymore. I have no desire, no temptation.
I noticed feeling better right at 6 months, after a bit of a hard time at 4-5 months.
And it gets easier and better every day.

Hope this helps.....do whatever you can to push through....remember it gets easier.
Don't look back. Remember if you slip up you will have to go through everything you have already gone through to get to where you are today.
If you keep at it, you will reach the top!!!:c011:

1dayaddatime 08-08-2015 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by newpage119 (Post 5502116)
Tomorrow will be 9 months for me!

I can honestly say that quitting alcohol is the best thing I have ever done for myself.
It is great to wake up in the morning feeling wonderful! No hangovers, not even the thought of a hangover or feeling of dread, what did I do last night??

The road can be tough at times, our AVs are worthy opponents and are quick to get you when you are not prepared. Have a plan, know your triggers and be ready! Hang in there everyone, it is so worth it! If you haven't started your quit, get started, you have everything to gain and nothing to lose. Nothing good ever comes from alcohol.

There is so much good advice on this forum, thank you to everyone for sharing and providing guidance!

Now off to yoga class, 9 am Saturday morning. Never did THAT when under the spell of alcohol! :Meditate:

YOU'RE KILLIN IT NEWPAGE! Keep it up! Such a great inspiration post for me, thanks!!!!

Dee74 08-08-2015 03:34 PM

Congratulations newpage :)

D

LadyinBC 08-08-2015 05:22 PM

You rock! Congrats on 9 months and keep going! You are doing great.

skipper123 08-08-2015 05:31 PM

congratulations! food and something sweet always helps me!

PurpleKnight 08-09-2015 02:10 PM

9 Months is fantastic!! :You_Rock_

Calicofish 08-09-2015 06:22 PM

Well done Newpage - your posting has helped strengthen my resolve and interesting that 5-6 months you found difficult (that's where I am right now). Good to know it gets better.

CF

Soberwolf 08-09-2015 11:54 PM

Congrats NewPage

MythOfSisyphus 08-10-2015 01:20 AM

Congrats, Newpage! That is awesome!

LBrain 08-10-2015 02:56 AM

Congratulations and well done on 9 months! It's official now!

newpage119 08-10-2015 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Calicofish (Post 5504346)
Well done Newpage - your posting has helped strengthen my resolve and interesting that 5-6 months you found difficult (that's where I am right now). Good to know it gets better.

CF

Keep on pushing your way through Calicofish. Another few months sounds like an eternity, but I guarantee you will start to feel better soon!!:slider3: Don't let your AV beat you!