Notices

Angry, teary, annoyed, but not drinking!

Old 08-07-2015, 09:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry, teary, annoyed, but not drinking!

I've just closed up on day 18 and I can say the last few days have been a doozy. I accidentally went off my Sertraline (for SAD and to control anxiety) about 10 days ago because of a prescription mistake and I've been feeling the discontinuation symptoms on top of the usual emotional stuff after quitting drinking. I didn't really have any alcohol withdrawals. Maybe because I drank 2 or 3 times a week and never hard liquor. Or maybe I'm just lucky.

Anyhow, I've been on a roller coaster of emotions, overjoyed one moment, teary the next. But mostly, I'm pretty punchy. Since my normal is a rather dulled mellow thanks to my meds and alcohol, all of this emotion is quite new. The fact is that I haven't been without an emotional crutch of some sort in over 10 years. I didn't even know what my full range of emotions were. But I'm finding out now! :-D

In spite of all the crazy stuff going on inside, I'm feeling very optimistic. I've had very few cravings, and when I did have them, I knew how to handle them. As it happens, food and water keep cravings away. And I've found some delicious non-alcoholic drinks to replace the beer and wine.

Don't worry, cautious folks, I'm staying vigilant in case the AV is waiting around a corner trying to catch me unawares. I've read enough here to know that things can happen when you least expect them, especially during the first few weeks.

Thanks for sharing your experiences-good and bad-on this site, everyone. It's helped pave my path to recovery.

Delfin
Old 08-07-2015, 10:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
love is the answer

I love your honesty.

Yep, feeling feelings can be tough. Be good to yourself.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep the optimism going.

Getting sober isn't easy. But sometimes, as we get so caught up in the solemn and momentous decision we've made, we forget that optimism is good for us. I think of it as hope manifesting itself in our day-to-day existence.

You're doing well, Delfin. Like you, I didn't have the textbook severe withdrawal symptoms, though I was horribly fatigued for a while. But that doesn't mean that ending our dependence on alcohol is a romp. Your commitment to vigilance will serve you well.

Stay close and congrats on choosing sobriety. You'll never regret it.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Getting sober isn't easy. But sometimes, as we get so caught up in the solemn and momentous decision we've made, we forget that optimism is good for us. I think of it as hope manifesting itself in our day-to-day existence.
Geez, this is beautiful, Venecia...and..here come the waterworks...:-)

Did I mention I'm a wee bit emotional? Lol

Delfin
Old 08-07-2015, 10:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mystified View Post

Yep, feeling feelings can be tough.
I guess that's why we hide from them behind a bottle (or two, or three)...
Old 08-07-2015, 11:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

On Day 18 too and feeling lots of intense and unpredictable emotions! Hang in there. For me it will take some getting use to because I drowned them out as well. Not the real solution and certainly not healthy and also dangerous for me anyway! You are doing a great job!!! Try to eat, sleep, and take care of yourself. I am telling myself to expect a lot of emotions these early weeks.
Lilly
Old 08-07-2015, 11:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're doing great honestly! I'm on 4 months and it's really only now my emotions are pretty even again (but not every day even now). At day 18, like you, I was crying, then high as a kite, then numb, then high again, then very angry and frustrated.................. all within a few hours. Seems the early days are like taking a tight lid off a pressure cooker.
Things get calmer, take care.
xx
Old 08-08-2015, 01:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can;t add much to what has already been said...but the raging emotional sea does stop surging and you will find a 'normal' emotional state again, I promise delfin

D
Old 08-08-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

I take antipsychotic medication and now I'm tapering them, so I know how the withdrawal from these drugs feel, it's a very unpleasant situation, but hang in there OP, our moods get balanced again with proper time.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 18 here for me.... i so relate to your post! I too been on that emotional roller coaster!
Old 08-08-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Helpful.

I haven't taken meds. Afraid it will jeopardize my good job.

Anxiety is there, but because of all of your comments here, I know it will get better.

It has gotten better over the last 91 days. Some days just a few issues, some days more.

I feel like now that I am over the major body physical issues. The mind will take a while.

I am educated now on what was going on by drinking. I never investigated.

I didn't have the real desire to know until I started unknowingly quitting/relapsing and started to worry I was dying or something. The hangovers and anxiety escalated each relapse.

The internet, SR, and all of you have saved my good life. 1daat. Ghm.