Notices

losing weight and being sober

Old 08-06-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Earth Child

losing weight and being sober

i have an eating disorder i have had it for many years now
even though am obese i starve myself lately i havent been starving myself
Am a member of an eating disorder forum witch encourages but yet supports those who have eating disorder
av not been on that forum a week and i went on it today and i feel like i should be starving myself again
i said to my husband i should find a non dangerous way to lose weight am not looking after myself my step dad wouldn't want me to starve myself to death ( he is also one of my Higher power )
and my husband agrees
i have tried weight watchers before but i felt bad at every weight in
so am unsure if i can do that again
Old 08-06-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Im sorry crow i dont have any experience in this but i just wanted to show some support is there other options rather than weight watchers that youd try
Old 08-06-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I don't have a lot of experience with eating disorders either, sorry to hear you are still struggling with that Crow. Generally "fad" diets or crash diets aren't the best for you of course, especially if it's coupled with an eating disorder.

Have you considered asking a physician or dietitian for a formal diet/exercise regimen? There are a lot of factors that can affect our weight - genetics, lack of exercise, diet, emontional issues, hormonal imbalances, the list is long. Someone who could look at all of those issues holistically for you might be a good place to start.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think i can kind of relate to having an issue with food, i am a couple of stone overweight, i dont starve myself, i seem to go overboard with everything i do, so i tend to be the opposite, all around drinking though to be honest

Drink on the night, roll in find food
All day the next day eat everything in site, the unhealthier the better

I am actually a lot better on days that i am not drinking or hungover, i am more prepared for 3 meals a day, watch what i am eating and even walk the dog or go to the gym

For me drinking makes me fat and sluggish, empty cals on the beer then junk food for a day, 2 or 3 times a week and its bound to have an affect.

Maybe your sober head will make better choices

Good luck
Old 08-06-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Why not factor exercise into your schedule? Although you won't probably lose a ton of weight without having a healthy diet as well, it certaintly doesn't hurt. As, exercise releases a lot of those same brain chemicals that drugs and alcohol do. It's not a coincidence that so many recovering addicts become long distance runners.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Crow,
First, I'd suggest to delete that website from your browser/history/everything. If viewing it makes you want to starve yourself again, it's doing you *zero* good.
And as mentioned, there are alternatives to Weight Watchers. Granted, some are pricey like Nutrisystem, but I think a good place to start (if you're not familiar with it already) is MyFitnessPal.com. Tons of activity in the forums and it's really helpful to just log everything you eat each day for a week or so, to see what kind of patterns you can define.
Like with drinking, dieting/food is another "One day at a time".
Best of luck to you, Crow!
Old 08-06-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

i could never starve myself. and believe me i wont lie when i was obese and even now there are times I wish i could (and i know thats bad). But when i decided to loose weigth I new watching my intake would never do. when i'm hungry i wanna eat plain and simple. I initially did a low carb diet. i was able to eat till my heart was content and still loose weight it worked out well I lost over 100lbs. Now I do a high carb low fat vegan diet and again I can eat like a total pig and still maintain a nice healthy weight with no issues.

My point is there is no reason to starve yourself in order to loose weight. Maybe your starving yourself for other reasons?
Old 08-06-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Earth Child

So people who are obese dont starve themselves according to you zjw?
YOU CAN HAVE AN EATING DISORDER AT ANYSIZE
Also am not lying
YOU HAVE NO ******* CLUE ABOUT MY LIFE AND WHAT I HAVE BEEN THROUGH YOU HAVE NO ******* IDEA
IF I COULD ID CUT THE FAT OFF MYSELF I WOULD
Old 08-06-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Back in 2008, I found out that I needed surgery to have a cancerous kidney removed. I was 40-lbs overweight and couldn't walk a standard city block without huffing and puffing. I also have a lung disorder that has left me with about 56% of normal capacity. Anyway, I began eating fewer carbs and forcing myself to walk. At first, it was really hard work. But it got easier over time. Within 6 months, I had lost those 40-lbs. and had so much more energy. I bounced back from the surgery quickly, too.

I kept it up great until last year. I've regained about 10 unwanted pounds, and I'm not walking as much. I'm also eating more crap. I'm trying to get back off the sugar and carbs, but it's difficult. I went through a divorce last year and eating crap was one of my coping mechanisms I guess.

However, I was able to get myself into good shape before, so I'm going to do it again. I have to.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Im sorry crow i dont have any experience in this but i just wanted to show some support is there other options rather than weight watchers that youd try
Thank you
Old 08-06-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I don't have a lot of experience with eating disorders either, sorry to hear you are still struggling with that Crow. Generally "fad" diets or crash diets aren't the best for you of course, especially if it's coupled with an eating disorder.

Have you considered asking a physician or dietitian for a formal diet/exercise regimen? There are a lot of factors that can affect our weight - genetics, lack of exercise, diet, emontional issues, hormonal imbalances, the list is long. Someone who could look at all of those issues holistically for you might be a good place to start.
am in the uk i cant see a dietion because my BMI isnt under 16
but thank you
Old 08-06-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Originally Posted by Getagrip View Post
I think i can kind of relate to having an issue with food, i am a couple of stone overweight, i dont starve myself, i seem to go overboard with everything i do, so i tend to be the opposite, all around drinking though to be honest

Drink on the night, roll in find food
All day the next day eat everything in site, the unhealthier the better

I am actually a lot better on days that i am not drinking or hungover, i am more prepared for 3 meals a day, watch what i am eating and even walk the dog or go to the gym

For me drinking makes me fat and sluggish, empty cals on the beer then junk food for a day, 2 or 3 times a week and its bound to have an affect.

Maybe your sober head will make better choices

Good luck
i know that sometimes i dont exercise i have to get into a work out schelue and thank you
Old 08-06-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Originally Posted by LilyMarie View Post
Hi Crow,
First, I'd suggest to delete that website from your browser/history/everything. If viewing it makes you want to starve yourself again, it's doing you *zero* good.
And as mentioned, there are alternatives to Weight Watchers. Granted, some are pricey like Nutrisystem, but I think a good place to start (if you're not familiar with it already) is MyFitnessPal.com. Tons of activity in the forums and it's really helpful to just log everything you eat each day for a week or so, to see what kind of patterns you can define.
Like with drinking, dieting/food is another "One day at a time".
Best of luck to you, Crow!
yes am getting rid of the link to that forum
and ill log my food intake and exercise
and thank you
Old 08-06-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Originally Posted by JD4010 View Post
Back in 2008, I found out that I needed surgery to have a cancerous kidney removed. I was 40-lbs overweight and couldn't walk a standard city block without huffing and puffing. I also have a lung disorder that has left me with about 56% of normal capacity. Anyway, I began eating fewer carbs and forcing myself to walk. At first, it was really hard work. But it got easier over time. Within 6 months, I had lost those 40-lbs. and had so much more energy. I bounced back from the surgery quickly, too.

I kept it up great until last year. I've regained about 10 unwanted pounds, and I'm not walking as much. I'm also eating more crap. I'm trying to get back off the sugar and carbs, but it's difficult. I went through a divorce last year and eating crap was one of my coping mechanisms I guess.

However, I was able to get myself into good shape before, so I'm going to do it again. I have to.
i like walking only thing is takes me a long time to get anywhere am slow
thank you
Old 08-06-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Earth Child

can i have this locked please
Old 08-06-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Crow:

Ditch that forum!!! Starving isn't a good way to lose weight because your body thinks it's a famine and holds to the fat.

I would just suggest to you to try to eat as clean as possible. Cook your meals, restrict yourself in bad sugars, and bad carbs and eat as much fruit and veggies and nuts as you want. If you want a sweet make a dessert at home. Processed foods should be eliminated if possible. Drink only water or fresh squeezed juices. Pop and sodas are nutritionally pointless and after a while you won't crave them anymore. DO NOT diet per say. It has to be a wholistic change for your entire life and little chNges everyday make the difference.

I had bulimia earlier in my life but I haven't had an episode for over 12 yrs. I had to find a balance.

It isn't easy but really try to go outside yourself and examine all perspectives when doing self work.

We are with you!!!
Old 08-06-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by TheCrow View Post
So people who are obese dont starve themselves according to you zjw?
YOU CAN HAVE AN EATING DISORDER AT ANYSIZE
Also am not lying
YOU HAVE NO ******* CLUE ABOUT MY LIFE AND WHAT I HAVE BEEN THROUGH YOU HAVE NO ******* IDEA
IF I COULD ID CUT THE FAT OFF MYSELF I WOULD
I must have missed something or perhaps my initial post reads or is interpreted bad? I was not intending to offend. I'm fully aware people who are obese can have an eating disorder.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by TheCrow View Post
i like walking only thing is takes me a long time to get anywhere am slow
thank you
There's no rush to get anywhere..walking is good exercise no matter how far or fast you go. If you do decide to take up walking as a regular exercise regimen, most likely you'll be able to increase your speed and distance over time if you choose to.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Crow - if you enjoy walking, go for it, at your own pace and own time, even if you start at just 5 mins up and down the street, then after a week or so 6, you will soon be walking further and faster, it will get easier as the weight comes off too

Maybe set youself a goal to be able to walk to a certain place in so many weeks/ months
Old 08-06-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
I must have missed something or perhaps my initial post reads or is interpreted bad? I was not intending to offend. I'm fully aware people who are obese can have an eating disorder.
Sorry i have a bad temper ( very bad ) didnt mean to have a go at you i misinterpreted what you said sorry