Notices

Staying accountable

Old 08-06-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Staying accountable

I need this group because I need to be accountable to you for what I'm doing, among many other reasons. Last night I posted in the Class of August thread that I had let the addictive voice win and I drank some wine.

In the past I would have told myself that there was no point keeping on because I'd ruined it all, giving myself the excuse to keep drinking ad infinitum. Last night, though, I had barely had the first sip before I started thinking about the damage I was doing to my body after several days of healing.

I didn't stop there but I did make a new resolve to get back on the wagon today. I didn't enjoy the drinking I did last night. I didn't like the high, I didn't like the feeling of being out of control, I didn't like the loss of coordination. I was surprised how drunk I was on just a few glasses of wine.

That I held myself to just a few glasses is a major accomplishment. I'm not too hungover this morning, but today I don't feel like I need a hangover to remind me why I don't want to continue to drink. My body is falling apart from drink, hangover or not. I really do want and need to stay on a sober path, and so I'm here to be accountable to this group and let you know that I'm moving forward from this point and not going to look back. Thanks for being here and keeping me honest. It helps just to say this.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk Retread having a plan is vital imo

Here are very helpful SR links that you can print off to keep

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html

There is lots in them links that will help you
Old 08-06-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been there so many times! Your insight into the experience is awesome. Stick with it and fill your time with something opposite. Last night I ran on my treadmill after dinner because otherwise I would have spent 7-9 with wine. Day 3 for me.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you. It's easy to throw the hat in and say "heck with it. I'll quit later".

Use this as something to learn from. Ask yourself the hard questions and be honest with yourself.

Why did you drink?
What could you have done differently? For every why, list 3 alternatives.

Now....you have to look at why the wine was there. If it was hanging around, it's time to dump everything.

Good for you for jumping back on the wagon. It's a bumpy ride, but the destination is awesome!
Old 08-06-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you're back. So much of what you said here resonates with me. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back Retread!!
Old 08-06-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support. Tonight is much better than last night. I'm having minor craves but I feel a lot more stable again. I keep reminding myself that I don't have another option. Alcohol wants me dead, and it will find a way to make that so if I keep going the way I have been. It is stealing my health, my spirit, my dignity. Not anymore.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

In the making a plan link is help with urges and cravings