Notices

I'm finally here

Old 09-02-2020, 01:49 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

Originally Posted by Tailai View Post
As I’m sure you already know you need to focus all your energy on not drinking at this early stage of sobriety, white knuckling it as they say. You are wiser now than 5 years ago when you first posted. The relapses have shown that you can’t drink. Full stop. Four years ago I went through what you did after an alarming blood test and still I had to relapse twice to convince me I could not control my drinking. Sure I could moderate for a little while but always ended up drinking all day, every day and the physical effects only got worse from the increased alcohol dependence and the progressive nature of alcoholism. Thanks to the advice and encouragement from SR, daily gratitude, exercise, and eliminating negative thinking I am now sober for over two years. It gets easier. You can do it!
Thank you for your kind words.

I've been drinking since college years. I loved those years, that's when I met my future wife and friends that I still cherish. I partied all the time, then I began working and my habit slowed down, but once in a while, on vacation, or at parties, I had always a cup on my hand.
Fast forward 10 years ago, I enjoyed some wine or beer with the meals. This is where things started to worsen. I began drinking not one, but two beers during meals. I started pouring more wine than the others at the table and the bottle was always near me. I enjoyed that tingling feeling.
5 years ago I suspected I was having difficult stopping. That's when I first joined SR, shortly after my horrible journey during a company party where later in the night I blacked out.
I continued getting worst. Working at home during April and May was terrible. I had a can of beer in the morning while I worked. I was functional, I worked and delivered. My work ability never deteriorated. But it was a fake reality. I had a can of beer by my side in the morning. What a heck.
Weekends were always the worst part of the week. I drank copious amounts and was a zombie for the rest of the day. Last Sunday was the worst. I can't remember parts of it. I know I've been socializing, but, luckily, I didn't make a fool out of me, I hope the others didn't realized how I was.
I started my recovery this Monday and this time is for good.
Never again.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:26 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I'm on day 5 and, so far, everything's fine.
On day 3 I felt stressed and sad. Today I feel fine, although my liver is pressuring my ribs constantly...
I'll be so happy once my liver pain stops... I've been having this for years now. Never gave my liver enough time to heal itself. Poor guy.
Now comes the hard part - the weekend - when I'm mostly at home, where I'd usually drink and with more spare time than during the week.
I'll have to be busy all the time. I'll pack some stuff, rearrange some things around the house, or something.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:55 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Beginning Day 11!

Feeling good, but with mood swings and feeling tired sometimes.
I'm getting used to drinking sugary drinks at meals, which is a nice alternative. After so many years drinking wine and beer, I'm turning to Coke, Sprite or similar, which I didn't drink for about 10 to 15 years...
Old 09-10-2020, 01:31 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Congrats on the one one!
Old 09-10-2020, 04:16 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Encouraging stuff here renegade. Your drinking patterns really mimicked my own. I'm kicking the habit too.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:26 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Congrats on almost two weeks!!
Old 09-11-2020, 03:57 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dpac414 View Post
Congrats on almost two weeks!!
Thanks! Almost 2 weeks! This is most days I ever been clean for as long as I remember.

Got to keep focused and busy. That's how I got to 12 days!
Old 09-11-2020, 07:16 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I hit the gym and felt more tired than usual. I really struggled to get all my workout plan done. What is wrong with me?
Old 09-11-2020, 03:32 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey Renegade

They call it recovery cos we're recovering from a lot of physical and mental wear and tear.
If you're like me you drank for years - it's probably going to take more than ac couple of weeks to feel normal levels of energy and lose the fatigue?

D
Old 09-11-2020, 03:38 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renegade2 View Post
I hit the gym and felt more tired than usual. I really struggled to get all my workout plan done. What is wrong with me?
And you'll be a wee bit better the next time you hit the gym Renegade. I think the gyms a great tool on sobriety as it kills time and focuses your mind of betterment, and you can go whenever you feel a spike coming. Mighty oaks from small acorns grow and all that. Keep with it.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:10 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I started going to the gym a month ago because I was feeling unwell with my body and my looks.
I've always been fit and athletic. In the last couple of years, due to my drinking problem, I got fat for the first time in my life. My wife didn't like it. I didn't like it. So, at first I thought going to the gym would solve it, but I took the extra step, the most important one, and also quit drinking.

Originally Posted by ALBAdrunk View Post
And you'll be a wee bit better the next time you hit the gym Renegade. I think the gyms a great tool on sobriety as it kills time and focuses your mind of betterment, and you can go whenever you feel a spike coming. Mighty oaks from small acorns grow and all that. Keep with it.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:44 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Day 16!

Today my liver keeps hurting me. I stopped feeling my liver for a few days, but today it returned.
It's probably healing in a more intense way, I hope.

Tomorrow I'll be home working remotely. This was a typical scenario where I was in my office at home with a can of beer way before lunch... Not anymore.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:35 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

isn't it worth seeing a dr about that pain resurgence?

D
Old 09-15-2020, 04:19 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

It might not be liver pain also. It could be lots of other things. I agree, go check it out.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:13 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

It's been 3 weeks!

It's 11 AM and I'm home alone working. In my previous life, I'd have drank 3 cans of beer by now.

Not anymore.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:52 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 3 weeks renegade

D
Old 09-21-2020, 09:43 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

That's awesome, Renedade2!
Old 10-01-2020, 06:52 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

1 month! HOORAY!

This is my longest streak ever!

And I'm making it for 100 years!
Old 10-01-2020, 04:43 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations renegade

D
Old 10-01-2020, 05:50 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

A whole month! Wonderful news, Renegade.