Notices

Higher power

Old 08-04-2015, 11:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This has come up on here before, but as an atheist, every time I look at what the 12 steps are I can't get past the second one, calling for me to find a higher power (more or less). I could probably benefit for aa, I am an alcoholic and all, but the religious component keeps me away. I'd love to hear from some people (those that don't believe in god) and what it was like for them in AA.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi,

I struggled at first with this, but for me, the higher power is not that God as the Bible tells it. For me, I just had to admit that there COULD BE something out there more wise and powerful than me.

I don't even know if I believe it yet; but something odd has happened. I've never managed to quit for 34 days before now, and it was never this easy. Maybe it's all in the mind. But I'm happy to admit that there could be a higher power helping me! I'm starting to believe in SOMETHING.

I dunno if this helps, but that's how it is for me.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There are other recovery programs that might appeal to you more such as S.O.S and SMART.

I suggest that you give those a try too.

It's not so much as a belief in a specific God or a higher power that works as it is having a support group to be accountable to. I have a recovery friend who is atheist and he says "my higher power is all of you, you Group Of Drunks"

I'm agnostic. I go to AA. I just let the praying people talk about how their prayers keep them sober, and usually they let me talk about what I do as an alternative to prayer. For example, I keep a gratitude journal. When it seems like everything has gone to hell in a hand basket and you can still think of at least 5 things everyday to be thankful for it changes how you look at things.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

When i was in aa i remember an oldtimer with 25 years sobriety he always said he
didnt believe in god and was atheist

There are smart secular meetings ?
Old 08-05-2015, 01:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have the same issues, and I talked about this in my AA group last night.

I have this mental image of a mom lifting a car because her child is trapped underneath. It's the closest I come to believing in a Higher Power, that there is something for us to tap into when we really need it.

Most of my (agnostic) peers tell me it will sort itself out as I work through the steps, so I'm trusting my Group Of Drunks at the moment.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A higher power can be anything. I'm not a believer in much, but when it came to getting Sober I needed something to do it for, and that was me, I wanted to no longer allow alcohol to affect my life, I wanted to be the best human being I could be, live up my potential and in years to come be able to look back and be proud of a life that I had built on the foundation of Sobriety!!
Old 08-05-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi.

A.A.'s use of the term God, that does not necessarily mean that we believe in "God" with the flowing robes and shooting lightning bolts, and it does not mean that we have a common understanding of what we do believe in. The term, God, is used only as a convenient way of referring to the Spiritual Power of our respective choices.
Often it’s said to pick something like Mother Nature or something we feel is powerful, EXCEPT OURSELVES.

BE WELL
Old 08-05-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

im not religious but I am a spiritualist. Tbh the actual meetings only a small percent of them is the god stuff, its mainly talking about peoples experiences and how they have remained sober. I don't do the serenity prayer but what I do do is listen. I listen to peoples experiences and I can identify with them. I go with an open mind, you can take the higher power stuff in whatever way works for you, you don't need to believe in anything all you need to do is have faith.... in yourself. I personally meditate, I've been meditating for years anyway and that helps me. There are tons of books out there on sober recovery, the AA meetings DO help me I take from it what I need. Don't worry no ones there to brainwash you into believing in god and its not cult like (if it was id be well out of there lol) All I can say give it a go and take what you need from it. I look forward to the meetings I went to one yesterday and im going again today... it helps.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I went into AA with skepticism and a very antireligious attitude. Wasn't sure where I stood on God so I guess agnostic? At this point my take is this: I wouldn't say I found God in the commonly understood sense. What I would say is that I have found I am not God. I am not the center of the Universe and all knowing. The world doesn't revolve around me like I thought it used to. I have developed spirituality after separating it from religion (in the past I didn't think you could have one without the other). I have developed a belief in a universal power more closely tied to nature than the concept of God I was taught in churches growing up. I've also become more tolerant of others and their opinions regarding Religion. I don't agree with religions but I don't get my hackles raised either.

Last edited by ScottFromWI; 08-05-2015 at 06:29 AM. Reason: link removed
Old 08-05-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There are secular programs out there. I spent a bit of time in AA and got a year of sobriety there. It took up a lot of my time, but that was okay, because it was time not spent drinking.

The higher power thing has shifted for me. I'm not an atheist, per se, but I don't believe in a god that interferes with our daily lives, like a traffic cop. I guess I am an agnostic. I didn't really fit in with the people I met in AA.

Nonetheless, some of the tools I picked up in AA are useful to me even outside of it. Right now my higher power is this group and the support I give and receive here. If I believe in a universe that has good things, this group is a good thing.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Several posts have been removed from this thread. Debates/arguments about particular recovery methods and links to commercial recovery sites are not allowed in the newcomers forum.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hang on!

Whatever works.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have really unorthodox views on some things, so take this with a grain of salt. A higher power is really nothing more or less than you decide it is, so in a sense it's self-created. I have found it is entirely possibly to hold to a higher power as a conceptual framework while rationally understanding that it may not be factually true or "real". It's just a metaphorical way of gathering and focusing energy into strength and power to overcome addiction.

Another way that you can look at it is that addiction is a problem in your brain which is one of your body's organs. "You" are more than just your brain, so in a sense you can conceptually separate your brain from your whole being and in that sense "you" can be your own higher power over your addiction.

At the end of the day, sobriety is chosen and acted out by us as individuals. Even if we believe in a higher power, it's not like some supernatural being stands in front of the liquor store with a flaming sword and bars entry. We have the choice whether we go in or not. I believe the power to make that decision is the same for everyone, no matter where they are on the scale of belief or unbelief. Everyone just identifies it in different ways and calls it different names.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Beeroholic, have you checked the secular forum on this site? Lots of things to look into there . There may be some SMART meetings in your area. ( my experience only, that appeals to me ) I'm in California and attended a SMART meeting last week. Also seems there are secular or agnostic AA meetings available too. Yeah, whatever works!
Old 08-05-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sadie1 View Post
Beeroholic, have you checked the secular forum on this site? Lots of things to look into there . There may be some SMART meetings in your area. ( my experience only, that appeals to me ) I'm in California and attended a SMART meeting last week. Also seems there are secular or agnostic AA meetings available too. Yeah, whatever works!
I have found it disappointing that there aren't more secular and non-12 step meetings around. I'd like to check one out, to see if it's a better fit for me. For now I'm going to hang out at SR and make this my main source of support.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I like the reply, "whatever works"
So true, cos if one was desperate enough for a solution to their drinking, atheist or not,
alcohol does not discriminate !

OK, the "God" bit.
Firstly, it's not religeon, AA is not a religious organisation as such.
There is no need for me either to come here bat for AA, but here to offer my experience of how I got around the "God" bit.

At first, I did not care a rats razzo about the word "God" in the 12 steps of AA.
For me, it was the end bit, "..as we understood Him", and that was put there at the request of Athiest at the time the BB was written, according to what was passed on to me about early AA history.

I came into the rooms of AA cursing the HP I thought I could trust.
Problem was, there was sooo much BS in my head, drinking, and all the rest of it, the problem was me !
My HP/God gave me free will, at least I understand he did, we all have, "free will" don't we ?
Then in chapter 5, when it is read out, it says, "may you find him now"
It does not say you must find him right now or don;t come back again !
Then, the "how" we found Him ?
It's the 12 steps !
Why does one have to go through the 12 steps to find a HP to solve their drinking problem.
Because until we clear our head about our drinking, then that whatever is blocking what might just be there, your HP, your very own understanding of a HP that makes sense to you, as it makes sense to me, but I cannot describe it, cos I don't know what it is, it's just there, and always was there.
It was blocked by fear, resentments, my thinking/defects of charactor, mental obsession over alcohol, drugs, money, financial insecurity, ( how am i going to pay the rent AND drink ! ).
See ?
It's not the "God thing that is bothering you, it's you !
That's what the steps are for, "you, meet.., you" !
Old 08-05-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Several posts have been removed from this thread. Debates/arguments about particular recovery methods and links to commercial recovery sites are not allowed in the newcomers forum.
sorry, I'll remember that next time.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses
Old 08-16-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

i don't see the step as asking us to "find" anything, but seeing that we are "not god", that there is greater-than-self.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

It took me a little while to accept this fact:

if God exists . . .
Or if God does not exist . . .
is not dependent on my belief.

So, who am I to say that there is, or is not, a god?
Or, more importantly at this stage, how can I say that there is not a power greater than myself?

You may want to read the book: Came to Believe.
You will probably find it in an AA meeting.
Amazon sell it also.

All the best, Beeraholic.