Notices

Higher power

Old 08-17-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Step 2

"Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity."

There is no mention of 'God', nor any religion.

Go down to the ocean and see if you can stop the waves. I'm betting that you can't. Gravity is a power greater than ourselves. I had to realise, at Step 2, that I wasn't 'God'...that I couldn't control people, places, things and my drinking. That I needed help.

For me, meetings & the fellowship are a power greater than myself. I couldn't quit drinking on my own, but with the help of others, I was able to do so. For many people, AA, the meetings and groups serve very well as a 'higher power'. Myself, I verge on being agnostic and having faith in some kind of benevolent, universal force. I don't believe in 'God' and have no desire to associate with any kind of religion. I have 17 years sober. My father is an atheist, with 24 years sober. You don't have to "find God" to get and stay sober and work the AA programme.

Step 2 is about realising that we can't successfully quit drinking on our own, try as we might and that we need some kind of help, whether that be from religion and 'God' and/or from our fellow alcoholics.

The second part of the step doesn't require us to believe we are going to be restored to sanity. The operative word, for me, is 'could'. I only had to look around a meeting, to see the shining eyes, smiles and laughter belonging to people who were sober, living life and actually dealing with their problems, without alcohol, to believe that maybe I could, too, be like that. And they looked and acted sane, to me. My constant reaching for the bottle to solve my problems and to constantly find booze didn't solve them...that was part of the insanity.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Just to add a little levity. You need to watch until the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEheh1BH34Q
Old 08-17-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I know of some who attend AA and have no God in their life
and then at times we will hear ones in AA say that
in AA is where I found God

all are welcome

AA was based on the Bible in the beginning
but, has drifted far away from that in these days and times
for in the Bible no one is told to "pick a God of your own understanding"

MM
Old 08-17-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post

AA was based on the Bible in the beginning
but, has drifted far away from that in these days and times
for in the Bible no one is told to "pick a God of your own understanding"

MM
That's news to me. Could you please clarify/quantify your claim.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Step 2
"Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity."
It's written in the past tense, have you noticed ?
Came to
believe that a power greater than

So, someone had to tell a story of something that happened,
So far, these early AA'rs were desperate enough to listen to what someone that drank like they did, did to recover.

Now here's the catch;
greater than ourselves

Opps, my ego is being questioned !
But, looking back at my drinking, it has cut me down, and my so called ego was in shreds, every time I tried to drink like others who drank with impunity, How do they do that ? I'm going insane every time I try to drink, and remain a respectful member of society, my alcohol fueled actions become like that of an insane person, yet deep down inside, I know I'm not crazy.
I have become, labeled "insane" by my actions, and my actions are the process of my thoughts. Therefore, my thinking is that of someone who is actually, insane. It is no longer a "badge of honor" to brag about Saturday night's drinking episodes.

Who made me ? may be the next logical question for one who is in "that place" of alcoholic dark consequences.

How then can I begin to think "right" ?
( for me, I remember thinking this)
Restore my thinking.

OK, hope you see the illustration here, in the plural.
But we are now stuck at, higher power, and restored to sanity, @ step 2.

Basically who ever wrote this 2nd step, obviously is handing out INFORMATION, of what happened so far in their journey.
Obviously, it's attracting someone's attention, cos they want to know more of exactly what they did to be restored, to sanity.
Bill W listened to Ebby T. and Bill W wanted what Ebby had, sobriety.

How about, from this point in, Faith comes to mind to then think, "maybe, what else is there to lose"?

But there is step 3 !!
Oh nooo, God ! as I we understood him
That word, God !!
ahhhh, ahhhhhhhhh, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
lol

Again this is written in the past tense. Therefore a story is still being told, or we are being informed. At this point, take it or leave it and go back to your drinking, knowing now all too well, IF you have done step 1 correctly, exactly what Powerless over alcohol, actually is, the physical aspect.
Cos if one had admitted they are powerless to stop the craving and continue drinking, that's insanity, if the fact is now known that a craving for more alcohol is what one identifies with after the first drink, cos more alcohol with a craving that manifests can only lead to blackout, or ultimately a "death"!
Meaning, it keeps destroying your spirit/who you are.
So by the time many get to AA, they do not know who they are anymore despite whatever treatment they may have tried.

But after step 2, there is steps 4,5,6,7,8 and 9.
What many miss these days, in the BB, it says, by the time you get to step 10, sanity will be restored !
Ya gotta do the steps, to get past the information of Hope, restored us to sanity.

Now, if one relies on others, and others rely on more others just by reading the steps on the wall, and no action therafter, if that's what you want, that's what you will have, "wall flower sobriety"

Step 4- Inventory
5,67, and 8 - soul searching and a harms list

Step 9- Action

hmm, "at some of these we balked", lol
Step 10
The start of sanity being restored
Step 11
Hey, something IS out there and I cannot describe it, it makes sense to me, and that's because I started on Step 4
Steps 12
Try to carry this message,
what message ?
Back to step 1 !

Best game in town for an alcoholic.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beeraholic View Post
This has come up on here before, but as an atheist, every time I look at what the 12 steps are I can't get past the second one, calling for me to find a higher power (more or less). I could probably benefit for aa, I am an alcoholic and all, but the religious component keeps me away. I'd love to hear from some people (those that don't believe in god) and what it was like for them in AA.
I don't believe in God the way that some do.... But I have experienced a higher power. I have also at times identified as an atheist.

Here is a simple exercise that has helped me:

Go to the seaside, a lakeshore, a field or any wide open space In the morning , five minutes before sunrise.

With all the strength and will you can muster..... Stop the sun from rising.

If you're successful, congratulations.

If not..... Then you have no logical choice but to admit that there is at least one power greater than you.

Without needing to further understand, simply say 'thank you' and ask that power to help you.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ps- this is not a hypothetical...

Actually DO this..... And you will feel something powerful.