Notices

Day 3

Old 08-04-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3

I'm worried about my sobriety already because my mind has already started with the it's okay to only have a few beers .. You can handle just one or two why not? As long as you don't drink anymore than that.. I don't know how to overcome this sick part of my brain and I'm supposed to go to a concert this weekend where all my friends will be tailgating and drinking.. It's so hard to be 25 and trying to make the choice of being sober.. I know it is possible but how do I over come this monster inside of me that won't stop until it wins and of course it will be fun while it's happening but the guilt I carry for days after is just not worth it to me.. I just wish it was easy and I could stop all the triggers and cravings and be able to drink and not abuse it ugh trying to stay positive but it is so hard at this point ...
Old 08-04-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Day 3 is a tough one. Coming here and talking it through before drinking is a very wise choice, give yourself credit for that! Remember that cravings are really just thoughts/feelings....and we can choose how we respond to them. Even something a simple and a walk around the block or a book can easily take your mind elsewhere. Keep up the good work, the cravings get less strong and farther apart the longer you stay quit.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am only a few days ahead of you and the cravings are the same. Read my girly37 post above. I don't know how to stop it either. I have been reading that as long as you just keep turning down the craving, it will eventually go away. I am waiting for that to happen. It could take up to a year I have heard... good luck, you're not alone.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Girly, I envy you. Had I recognized my problem at your age I'd be much better off now. Seize the opportunity.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The thing about this beast is it progresses. I'm 31 and it seems like I was just 25 wanting to have fun. It does get worse!
Old 08-04-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was 25 in 1975 and alcoholism was not discussed very much. At 25 I was scared and didn't understand what was wrong with me. I didn't know that I was an alcoholic until much later.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 3 kdg
Old 08-05-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's gonna take time, as we slowly push out our old routines/habits, our drinking lifestyle and replace it with a new one, the thoughts of drinking, the cravings, the fairytales and myths of "things will be different this time" will slowly start to fade.

The danger though early on when they are soo strong putting ourselves in a situation when we could easily act on those thoughts is very real.

But if we have to, having support in our back pocket is key, reaching out for a second opinion on things, a fresh perspective on what our addiction is trying to convince us of!!
Old 08-05-2015, 03:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

kdg Congrats this should be Day 4 My son realized he was getting into drinking too much about your age . He had a couple different groups of friends hard drinkers & social . After a long 3-4 day house party , he said " Mom I woke up with the shakes & thought to himself- What the F -- am I turning into an alcoholic ?" . One of his friends said " Oh just have another & you'll feel better !"
It was hard for him to make a choice , which friends he should hang with . In the end he stayed with the ones that enjoyed sober fun . Just flat out told the other friends . He didn't like that feeling , doesn't want to wake up needed a drink . Hope this helps you on your journey to stay Sober