Notices

Sugar sugar

Old 08-04-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sugar sugar

Day 16 drawing to a close for me. I've been alright, no really intense cravings for alcohol, or out of the ordinary moods. I'm starting to worry about sugar though.
I grew up on tons of it, downed 40 oz.of soda pop daily into my early 20's, and have always loved sweets. As my drinking intensified in recent years my sweet tooth subsided, and I swore off soda years ago, replacing it with coffee (and gradually beer.)
The past two weeks I've been spoiling myself, drinking 2 sodas a day, making cookies, etc. Last night I caught myself guzzling a coke just like it was a beer. I have merely swapped the object of my addiction.
Granted, I am limiting my sodas to two per day, but still I'm not happy about this. I used to feel trapped by my obsession with soda, and later coffee, and I feel like I'm headed down that road again. Not as awful as booze, but I want to get to the heart of all this craving.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on 16 days!!! That is awesome!

If you're worried about the sugar from the soda, you can always switch to home made brewed tea (with or without caffeine) or seltzer water.
I found I had to eat more sugar once I cut out the beer since all the carbs from the beer were gone. I think you're doing fine with just making sure you limit the sodas. I made a lot of flourless brownies in early sobriety since I was looking for something relatively healthy, but wanted something to satisfy sweets cravings.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Over two weeks is great news - congrats to you!
You've done something pretty wonderful for yourself by giving up the alcohol. I think you're allowed a few cokes. If it concerns you, maybe give yourself a deadline then cut back.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to go on your 16 days.

Sugar cravings are normal in early sobriety. I got sober in the fall while it was chilly out and destroyed a bowl of Ice cream almost every night for a few months. Most people regulate after some sober time, so I suggest not worrying. If you are annoyed by it, cut out the sugar too.

Onward and Upward!!!
Old 08-04-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job on 16 days! Early on, I gave myself a break on limiting my sugar, soda, coffee intake. As long as I didn't drink alcohol, I could eat what I wanted.

Go easy on yourself in the early days. Your body is still adjusting to eliminating the alcohol intake.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I'm on day 90 and was definitely going overboard with the sodas early on. Lately I've been turning to sparkling waters with just a splash of real cranberry juice. Satisfies both my sugar cravings and that need for a fizzy drink of some kind. Much healthier alternative that I highly recommend.

Nighttime teas are also a good option.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 16 days
Old 08-05-2015, 02:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 16 is fantastic!!
Old 08-05-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 16! I myself am on day 17, and my problem is monsters. I drink one or two a day. I also have been craving chocolate lately, and ive really never had a sweet tooth before. I just take it as, it's better than 90 proof whiskey!! Good luck to ya!
Old 08-05-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all. It's true, it would be hard to do worse than where I was at with booze. A coke actually has fewer calories than my favorite beer. I'll go easy on myself and reevaluate in a month or two how I feel about making more changes.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's right.....I call it harm reduction.....Just the other day I drank almost a 2 litter bottle of cranberry ginger ale.....A mallo cup.....the rest of a chunkY.....I finished a dark chocolate Lindt bar and I finished a dark chocolate sea salt caramel bar......SO I got you beat by a mile. Yesterday I ate no sweets and drank no soda....I'm just giving my body whatever it wants except alcohol.