Notices

Made it past a craving

Old 08-04-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it past a craving

Hello everyone at SR! Day three: had a really productive day. Came home and went for a good bike ride. Climbed to the top of this insanely steep hill that I've never made it to the top of before. I felt like Rocky at the top of the stairs! Lol, anyways I made it through four sets of dumbell exercise when I got home then I really felt strong.

Then I all of a sudden really wanted to get in my car, drive to the beer store and buy a twelve pack. Insane right? I stopped and thought about it. I did what so many people here suggest: I played the tape all the way through. All the way to me being in withdrawal again tomorrow morning. Because I don't get "hangovers" anymore, just straight to withdrawal.

I almost posted a "Posting before I drink" thread, but the craving had past. Now I know I'm going to enjoy my coffee in the morning and have a normal day at work. No sweating , no soul crushing anxiety. And that's all right by me.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yay for you! I'm glad you made it past that craving. I'm just winding down from one, too. Also on day 3. Congrats!
Old 08-04-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hearty congrats Blowfish. The first few days are the toughest. Kudos to you!
Old 08-04-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome. It's good to play the tape through. Soul crushing anxiety... I know that one. Is that withdrawal? I got that all the time. It's day 4 and I Haven't felt it since day 2.....
Old 08-04-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you Blowfish. I just completed day 1.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! And a big thanks to everyone that posts in these forums. It really helps to know there's a place where people know what it's like.

Retread, we share the same sobriety date! Cool! You can lean on me any time you need support. We'll get through this!
Old 08-04-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What is "playing the tape all the way through". Is there really a tape or is that just an expression?
Old 08-04-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job!
Old 08-04-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beerbgone View Post
What is "playing the tape all the way through". Is there really a tape or is that just an expression?
An expression.... Meaning think about how it ends! Like I should have done last week! I do not get hangovers anymore either just withdrawals.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's just an expression. Basically it just means to visualize yourself going through the whole process of drinking. Not just the fuzzy, buzzed part. For me it means thinking about the aftermath tomorrow. And realizing I wouldn't even feel good while doing it. If I caved in to that urge tonight I probably would have been on here tonight when the beer ran out, feeling sorry for myself for screwing up yet again.

Bexxed the overwhelming anxiety has been an early withdrawal symptom for me for a long time now. Happens after I drink without fail. Always goes away in a day or two. If I had to guess, it's tied in with the shame and regret. Kind of hard to feel confident in oneself when you feel like a failure.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great job on pushing through Blowfish!!
Old 08-05-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Great job blowfish
Old 08-05-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good job, Blowfish! How are you doing today?
Old 08-05-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Blowfish View Post

Retread, we share the same sobriety date! Cool! You can lean on me any time you need support. We'll get through this!
You bet, and I'm happy to return the favor, as well .
Old 08-05-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Blowfish View Post
It's just an expression. Basically it just means to visualize yourself going through the whole process of drinking. Not just the fuzzy, buzzed part. For me it means thinking about the aftermath tomorrow. And realizing I wouldn't even feel good while doing it. If I caved in to that urge tonight I probably would have been on here tonight when the beer ran out, feeling sorry for myself for screwing up yet again.
Thank you!
Old 08-05-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Awesome job! Also thank you for sharing the advice on playing the tape all the way through.. I am on day four and I'm going to use this in my own recovery sounds like something that can really help because the aftermath is what my brain needs to focus on not the actual drinking itself! Soul crushing anxiety is such a great way to put it because it's a feeling I know all too well! Thanks again and wishing you the very best
Old 08-05-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hang on!

AV cravings monster sneaks up on you when you think everything is great. He says, "Good job. Let's celebrate ! Buy some booze...."

Good work dealing with the cravings Blowfish. How are you doing today ?
Old 08-05-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this....it helped me so much. I'm on day 3 and can feel little twinges of cravings starting up. I'm going to re-read your story of overcoming them when I need a reminder. Soul crushing anxiety -- I've been there so many times and don't want to go back.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Just checking in after reading all your posts today. Thank you so much for the support, and I'm glad the advice is helping others too. I learned that trick from reading here and it's the first time I actually used it.

I had another craving today when I was getting ready to leave work. Played the tape all the way through again and drove home without stopping for beer. Really glad I did! Just gotta squash those cravings when they emerge and remember what comes tomorrow. I sure as **** don't want to deal with the crushing anxiety and withdrawal ever again. Day 5 tomorrow!
Old 08-05-2015, 08:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Don't forget that another handy tool to quash those cravings is taking a minute to come on here and send out an SOS. Sometimes just putting those thoughts out into the open is enough to take away any power your addiction may think it has over you.

Glad you made it through another day, Blowfish. Keep on keeping on!