Notices

What is wrong with me?

Old 08-04-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is wrong with me?

I drank a lot through HS and college and was sober for for twenty something years. Socially drank...three beers my limit until last year meeting an acholoic friend. Starting binging. Smoking. Swayed away from my christian faith that believes drunkenness is a sin. Totally in depression even though I have a wonderful husband, My kids are all adopted and have special needs because their parents did drugs. That should be enough for me to not even dabble in this world of alcohol. But I keep wanting to numb.i feel like I have no hope some days. I only made it five days sober. Haven't been drunk but drank. Maybe some people just can't make it? Any thoughts?
Old 08-04-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by godzgood View Post
Maybe some people just can't make it? Any thoughts?
I think that's your addiction talking. No one is destined to fail at sobriety, and anyone can get sober ( and stay sober ) if they truly want it. What was it you did for 20 years to stay sober?
Old 08-04-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

You can do it with a good plan and source of sobriety (SR)

Starts with a day 1
Old 08-04-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you want to live a sober life, you can do it. Motivation is the key.

Do you mean you drank socially during the 20 yr sober period or was that later? If you were sober completely sober for 20 years, then you know you can do it.

Do you have a plan to help you stay sober? We have lots of support here.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi godzgood- sounds like a couple of things are going on here. First - focus on getting sober. That will help with your depression ( it did mine). Then (second) with a clear head, seek treatment for it. Talk therapy really helped me a lot. Didn't think it would, but was amazed at the results (and I'm a pretty hardcore cynic, too). Maybe medication can help? Talk to your doc about it - it's worth a conversation for your sanity's sake.

I wish you the best.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Sounds like perhaps you felt justified in drinking and maybe bored??? I know for many of us alcohol is an escape / coping mechanism.

Turns out to be false however. More worries and problems than before we drank. Sobriety is there for all who are accepting and willing to change.

I had to remove myself from the company of those alcoholics engaged in alcoholism. I still hang out with other drunks, but were all sober

Glad you're here. Are you ready to quit? Sobriety doesn't just happen.......
Old 08-04-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There's an element to our drinking that is an actual addiction, so what doesn't sound like a good idea or insanity keeps happening.

But it's not out of reach of anyone to be Sober, we just need the right acceptance, the right support and the right resources to make it happen!!

You can do it too!!
Old 08-05-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I guess I wasn't completely sober for twenty years but drank occasionally and never to the point of Drunkenness . At it wasn't all the time . Very random.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad you found us