Notices

Milestones to Beware Of?

Old 08-10-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I think one of the hardest things about milestones is not physical, it's mental. No one throws a party for you when you hit 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, 6 months, one year, two years, five years. There's an expectation of something… some reward, and ultimately the reward is the same every day: sobriety. I hit hit my six-year milestone back in May, and I asked my wife, "Guess how long it's been since I had a drink?" She said, "I dunno… 10 years?" Ummmm… no. Thanks for throwing shade at my mere six!
If you attend meetings and post here frequently, you'll receive lots of positive energy on anniversaries. That wasn't something I needed too frequently, but if it's important to you, I'd encourage you to be social with fellow members of SR or AA and celebrate your milestones.
By the way, everyone appreciate that my picture is relevant again?! Bloom County lives!
Old 08-10-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The thing is, once the brain becomes addicted to alcohol it has been physically altered. The addiction remains even if we are not currently using.

Then there is the whole psychological impact on how we relate to the world and people around us and how we learned to cope by using alcohol.

I've recently uncovered aspects of myself that show that there is so much more to a relapse than giving in to cravings.

For example, I know my drinking hurts other people besides myself, so in the past I would unconsciously use it as a weapon to sabotage relationships that made me uncomfortable.

Knowing that kind of stuff, and it doesn't come easy, is the key to my recovery.

(Sorry if I veered off topic)
Old 08-10-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi JK-

Thanks for posting, as I really appreciate thinking about this today.

Personally, I struggled with 30 days, a little with 60, and coming up on 90 soon I can feel 'something'. It's hard to explain- annoyed, really could be the word. Part of the issue could be that as of late I have been around more alcohol than I would like, as a general result of summer festivities.

Congratulations on your recent retirement, and 95 days sober!
However, life goes on- and it is in these times our suit of armor may need a few more layers of resolve. We have to remain steadfast in our oath to never touch a drop of alcohol in order to save our own lives, whatever it takes.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Somewhere around 90 days the obsession to drink was gone. For me, this was not will power - that never worked. The program of AA and my HP removed this obsession.

From time to time, there's a fleeting thought about drinking - but I don't act on it. All that said, I've only stacked 14 months - not very long.

But that is my experience to this point. I read, pray and meditate daily. If I do those things I am in a good place.

As others posted - the year of firsts are uncertain because we haven't gone through those things. For those truly committed with proper support network those events help cement our sobriety as our friend Dee posts, I agree.

Don't drink and do what you need to -it's your journey and everyone is different. Focus on what you can do for someone else and the miracle of your sober gift will flourish