Notices

Newbie @ Day 11!!

Old 08-01-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie @ Day 11!!

Hello - This is my 2nd serious attempt at quitting drinking (many times tried but not "serious & committed" - previous attempt was Feb 2013 and lasted 8mo) , i chose the name and picture to represent & remind me that my life is now a new day - a sunrise for a new day every day and a sober road that i am determined to follow.
I found this forum by accident while googling "urge to drink at day 9" and found some older posts,,, I have read the forum am & pm the last several days and found it to be VERY helpful - today I registered so I am now "official" - YEAH!! -
i am a little different than other alcoholics... steady one or two drinks per day and then several times a month-binge drink to blackout point. Tuesday 7/21 was my last binge drinking episode and last drink period. I have bruises from falling that still haven't healed...I fell a few months ago and almost broke my nose, last year I fell on my night stand & gave myself a black eye...this is something i must do - I am a breast cancer survivor (alcohol is the worst thing for me), 6yrs ago I lost my only child, a daughter, to alcohol poisioning at 31 (same situation as Amy Winehouse & Thomas Kincade - sober 5mo then binged and died) there is a family history of alcholism both sides- so I understand intellectually that if i continue, i am playing russian roulette and most likely will die.
My plan - follow buddhist principles of meditation, awareness & living in the present, changing my habits so i don't have temptation or situation for that "one drink", and reading this forum am & pm religiously. Not into AA at all - don't like it, don't want it but I am reading 2 buddhist based books on 12 step principals on my kindle every night and that is helping me alot these last 10days. Plus this forum for the last 2 days... I am so grateful I found you guys!!
Sorry for the long post but maybe there are others out there like me and maybe this will help both of us...
p.s. I hope this posts ok, lots of options & "stuff" i don't understand - not really familiar with forums at all & I don't even know if my sunrise profile picture will appear - please have patience, thanks!!
Old 08-01-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome MeNewDay! It's wonderful that you found us. I felt so much less anxious after joining SR.

I'm sorry for the pain you've been through. You sound motivated and ready to make this big change - you'll find yourself in good company. Congratulations on your 11 days - your fellow alkies understand what hard work it is.

We're going to do this.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What are the names of the two Buddhist books? Thanks
Old 08-01-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum MeNewDay!!

Very sorry to hear of everything you've had to deal with in life, though great job on Day 11!!
Old 08-01-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome MeNewDay, sounds like you have a plan in place, congrats on Day 11!
Old 08-01-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome MeNewDay

your profile pic looks great...on SR, it's not the same as your avatar tho (the pic beside your posts) you'll need to upload that separately

D
Old 08-01-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RogerD View Post
What are the names of the two Buddhist books? Thanks
They are " One Breath at a Time - Buddhism and the 12 Steps" by Kevin Griffen and "Mindfulness and the12 Steps - Living Recovery in the Present Moment" by Therese Jacobs-Stewart... I read a little of each book each evening... bought them for my Kindle last thursday (Day 2) @ $10ea - I am really enjoying them and finding them useful for me...

Last edited by MeNewDay; 08-01-2015 at 04:15 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 08-01-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome MeNewDay

your profile pic looks great...on SR, it's not the same as your avatar tho (the pic beside your posts) you'll need to upload that separately

D
Ok, can you help me out... what is the avatar - the little moving characters I see like your felix the cat? and the profile pic is the little lab puppy on Heyvn?? I used to be able to teach and troubleshoot SAP business system software but I am lost on this forum stuff - AUGHH! sorry to everyone for my ignorance and non alcohol related postings....
Old 08-01-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I can relate to the falling down thing. I fell at least twice while drinking. Both times were by a slippery pool. 10 drinks before this didn't help. I think that was the beginning of the end of my drinking days. 1 day at a time.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Google moving avatars..paste the link in the field as directed. Mine doesn't move, but I think it could if I did that...
Old 08-01-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! The profile picture is the one on your profile page. The avatar is the one under your user name. Click on "user cp" at the top left of the page for how to get an avatar.

I hope the support here can help you stay sober for good.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome menewday
Old 08-02-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This post is for me, plus being accountable to all of you that were so kind to acknowledge my original post.... Today is my first challenge day....i have a social day planned with my next door neighbor. a once a month thing where we do something then go out for lunch afterwards. going to an antique show today but instead of an itallian (and wine) or mexican (and marquiritas sp?) lunch and since this is only day 12 - I will suggest we go to Sweet Tomatoes for lunch and I will have iced tea...i feel more secure with this decision... my sober plan was to change situations where the habit side could kick in & this is one of those situations... thanks for listening.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff menewday