Notices

I freaking drank.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Wow. I was outraged at drinking alcohol. That's pretty awesome.

I was so caught off guard, I wasn't even sure how to feel. The bartender felt so awful, I didn't want to make a scene. Trust me, by the look on his face, he will be much more careful. He was almost in tears.

It occurred to me that I have fought so hard, for these seven months, and justlikethat, it could be gone.

It was a poignant reminder of just how precious, sacred almost, my sobriety has become to me.

I'm really going to do it this time.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am sorry this incident happened to you, AO. But the way you are reacting to it shows quite clearly how committed you are to sobriety now, and I believe the experience will reinforce your resolve in the long run as well.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I worked in hospitality for many years. I will thank you on behalf the bartender for the grace you showed him.

The drinking you handled really well, but you also handled a sensitive moment between two people really well, without making it worse by belaboring the point. He was performing by rote/habit. You broke out of your long-standing habit.

I hope you see this as the momentous occasion it is. You have turned the corner.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

AO, I think this solidifies your commitment to not drinking even more; nothing can stop you. You know what you want, and by darn, no one else's mistake (bartender) will change that.
Way to go.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

You didn't make the decision to drink, that was more important.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

And that is why I'll never order a tonic water at a bar. Tonic water itself is a trigger for me. I would never drink just a tonic water. It tastes like...
Old 08-01-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You did amazing. What a great moment for you. I am sorry that it happened but it was not your fault. That has happened to my mom more than once. She loves tonic water with lemon and she has had to send drinks back more than once when she notice there was alcohol in there. Unfortunately mistakes do happen. Good for you for staying strong!
Old 08-01-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Holy freaking kryptonite. You did good AO. You came here and talked it out instead of letting the AV run with it.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Not your fault. So glad you were able to shut down the thoughts and not let your addiction in that temporary opening. You handled this perfectly.

I work in a restaurant/bar and had a guest order a virgin daiquiri last night. We have special glassware, etc., that we use for any non-alcoholic drinks that come from the bar, but when I picked up the drink, I asked anyways, "Hey, just making sure this is a virgin daiquiri." My bartender acted insulted when I asked them, but I was just being and will continue to be extra cautious exactly because of situations like what just happened to you.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry that happened AO you done great slamming the lid to pandoras box
Old 08-01-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I don't usually drink tonic. Almost always a club soda. But I was having a particularly difficult time last night, blood sugar was all wonky, AV was yapping and tonic has sugar in so I switched it up.

I only drank vodka when I was desperate (read: already bombed on wine or gin) because I never cared for it. <<<<picky alcoholic ? Lol ! So I wasn't really accustomed to either one of those "flavors".
Old 08-01-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I guess I'm going to be a d1ck here..

Sometimes cheesy AA slogans serve us well. "People, places, things..." '

Last weekend, there was a beer festival near my house two blocks away. As early as the Monday before, I was feeling ornery about it, but I'm close to two years' sobriety and I wasn't about to sabotage the sh/tload of work I've put in. So I made every effort to avoid it. I didn't go near the park, I hung out here at the weekenders thread, went to a meeting, and got busy. I made plans for this days before the weekend festival.

Pre-emption is the name of the game. You mentioned your issues with the AV and the blood sugar. The fact that you bee-lined for the bar after being told there was a wait meant that maybe you were trying to subconsciously get a taste/touch/feel of the old life, and it blew up unexpectedly. "People, places, things..."

This is not a stab or assault against you personally. I always try to come from a angle of kindness and support. But this is hard, sometimes unrewarding, work. And we are always responsible for making sure we don't place ourselves even remotely close to situations where sobriety is anywhere close to be jeopardized. Believe me, it pisses me off too, but that's the way it is.

/Deactivating d1ck mode..

Kind Regards..
Old 08-01-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

You have an excellent point Newguy. Not insulted at all. Really good advice.

I suppose I was just going through my typical motions. Hostess lead us to the bar to wait. I followed blindly. I should have not gone and sat there. It was almost as if I was tempting fate. I didnt realize it at the time, but boy is it ever clear now.

Yes, there's a underlying subconscious melee going on. I'm newly sober, very green, and I need to learn how to PROTECT myself better.

Lesson learned.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Draw a line under that one AO and keep moving forward!!
Old 08-01-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Read the title of the post, looked at the author, let out some expletives.

Read the post, let out a sigh of relief, gained even more respect for my friend.

Sending you love, compassion & hope. Today & always.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

What a nightmare! Kudos to you for the perfect response to that situation.

I disagree with those who've suggested you put yourself in a compromising situation. I reread your post and don't see that you ran to the bar when your table wasn't ready. It's possible for an alcoholic drink be given to any of us by mistake.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

HI AO, I'm sure you went through some mental gymnastics over that one. For what its worth, it WAS an accident, and you prevailed. Great job.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
orangutan

Well done AO , proud of you .
Old 08-01-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I doubt I'd have done so well. Nicely dealt with, AO.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Something similar happened to me last summer. My fiancé and I were at an event for couples planning weddings, and when I tasted my "tea" I discovered it was mostly bourbon. That one sip rocked me, and I can only imagine what went through the minds of the strangers at our table when they saw my reaction. I wanted to leave, instead got up and took a walk. I was angry, but I did get a flash of "I could have finished that and my fiancé would be none the wiser" Which is, of course, my alcoholic brain doing its thing.

I do not consider that event a slip, since as soon as I recognized what was in my glass I pushed it away. But it was a good reminder, this disease doesn't go away.