Notices

I know this wont go over well here

Old 08-01-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

my posts here are my only outlet to talk about my situation....don't go to aa or any other counseling almost impossible with my schedule.....so I am honest here and like the straight talk I get back.I feel accountable here I don't take it lightely...so I cringe when I read things that should make me cringe....even though its online
Old 08-01-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're with us Exwell!! SR is here for you!!
Old 08-01-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Ex, we're glad you're posting. We have to caution you though - we wouldn't be very good friends if we didn't. I tried the moderating thing for many years with disastrous results - almost death. Please be careful as you continue this experiment.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I posted earlier about trying to be proactive, knowing what's coming, but you never asked anyone for any advice on what you might do to avoid the obvious problems that you're going to have if you don't turn things around. I have to admit, I am a bit surprised about this. I thought you were looking for support which is what SR is all about. Just what are you looking for? I'm confused. John
Old 08-01-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is life or death in reality,,,,and much more complex than asking a simple question like why this or that as most of you know.Trying to reason my way out of it is almost impossible...I know where it will likely lead..I hope this is a patch I will get thru......I am in no way condoning what I am doing that is insane but reality.I am at that point where I am giving myself the ok for step 1 drinking I know what step 10 is don't want to go there because I will dbe dead at that point....I wont make 50.......Like tomorrow I am talking myself into a pint already...I have a 18 hr day ahead of me Monday...but that's the not stupidity but well you all know...just trying to get thru this,,,,thanks everyone this sucks,,,was doing so well
I was passive for a long time too - I let myself be carried along like a leaf down the gutter.

My addiction was calling the shots and pathetically I let it.

There's nothing inevitable about you drinking Ex.

Not if you don't want to.

You can start fighting this any time you like, bud.

D
Old 08-01-2015, 09:15 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
EndGame

I think it's tragic that you've chosen a course that you've admitted has a great possibility for ending badly. Thus the title of your thread. Having a few drinks now and then in order to increase and extend your summer fun is simply a bad plan. There are so many things that can go wrong, and there are no redeeming qualities to it. I've read this same thread hundreds of times here, and with no good results.

Yes, we understand what you're going through, and some of us know this because we've done the same thing. And that's precisely why we respond as we do. Putting it out there for everyone to see won't protect you from any of the damage you do while you're drinking. This is generally a no-nonsense group of people, so you won't get any high fives for being honest about a plan that's just waiting to fail. And this is not the same thing as encouraging you to be deceitful, to camouflage your intentions or to not post at all. But when you're using you're honesty in the service of deceiving yourself, then some things need to be said.

Had I waited to stop drinking when I was "ready" to do so, then I'd either still be drinking or dead. If you know my story, there's nothing dramatic about that.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:59 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hey Ex,

I'm glad you're here too and you accept the straight talk. Oh yes, we've all been right there and it's a really tough spot to be in. We are here to help you.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:10 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad your here with us Ex
Old 08-02-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by exwell66 View Post
my posts here are my only outlet to talk about my situation....don't go to aa or any other counseling almost impossible with my schedule.....so I am honest here and like the straight talk I get back.I feel accountable here I don't take it lightely...so I cringe when I read things that should make me cringe....even though its online
So, I will be honest...I cringed when you said that AA or counselling was almost impossible with your schedule. I'm not an AA person, but I needed to make recovery the priority in my life for the simple reason, that without recovery, nothing else will work.

I hope you decide to stop drinking.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
So, I will be honest...I cringed when you said that AA or counselling was almost impossible with your schedule. I'm not an AA person, but I needed to make recovery the priority in my life for the simple reason, that without recovery, nothing else will work. I hope you decide to stop drinking.
Yeah.... 'No time' is a great cop out.

Whether it's exercise, time spent with family, or recovery.... We make time for the things we value.

When I hear statements like 'I don't have time for AA or counseling' - what I hear most clearly is 'I don't really want sobriety'
Old 08-02-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Do your best

Totally agree with Anna
Old 08-02-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi ex. Here are the reasons why we alcoholics drink: 'cause it's summer and we like to fish and have dinner, to bond with friends, because we're happy, because we're sad, the sky's blue, it's raining today, it's only a pint, that one's empty - I'll just get ONE more.

I spent years buying "just one" pint. One big bottomless pint. . .

I wish you well on your journey and hope that one day you can end the madness and get help.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I've had that same mindset over the last 20 years of drinking. I keep convincing myself it will be different this time, that somehow I'm not like everyone else in AA, I can certainly manage a couple drinks just when socializing occasionally. And sometimes I do manage that. Every single time tho things progress and the obsession takes over and I end up back in the rooms of AA and back on SR begging for help. I am an alcoholic. I am now working hard everyday on my plan to stay sober because I never know where that first drink will take me and it was exhausting trying to control my drinking.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Yeah.... 'No time' is a great cop out.

Whether it's exercise, time spent with family, or recovery.... We make time for the things we value.

When I hear statements like 'I don't have time for AA or counseling' - what I hear most clearly is 'I don't really want sobriety'
You are so right. We (including me) come up with all kinds of excuses to not do the things that should be most important to us. I heard somewhere that went something like this. As we get older, it's not the mistakes that we regret the most, but the things we should of done when we had the time. Priorities. John
Old 08-02-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Adventurer

We all have the same amount of time, some people just use it more wisely.