SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Rewiring my brain (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/372596-rewiring-my-brain.html)

OnMyWay7 07-30-2015 06:48 AM

Rewiring my brain

Almost 7 months sober and I've been on a 10 day vacation on a tour in Italy with my SO (who were currently separated but living together) and my four kids all under 14. Today was the first day that I was really losing my patience and all I wanted was 15 minutes alone. I thought about a glass of wine after about 5 minutes alone but I'm happy my first thought wasn't a drink - all I wanted was some peace and quiet. So I'm in the hotel lobby using the Hiltons wifi in Venice taking some time.

Just letting new comers know it gets easier. I used to think about drinking every minute, then every hour and now I can go a day without having to think about it.

Plure 07-30-2015 07:03 AM

Thanks for sharing. I'm also at that point where "escape" from anxiety / irritability / frustration, etc... doesn't require alcohol anymore, rather a nice walk or some meditation fits the bill. Early in sobriety it was impossible to get the thought of that quick fix alcohol out of my head. But now my mind is stronger.

Hanging in there early on makes it all worth while down the road.

So happy to have my SR buddies! :)

Anna 07-30-2015 07:09 AM

I have also found that when I'm on vacation and very busy, I need to take 5 or 10 mins by myself to just 'be'. It makes a big difference for my mental outlook.

Mountainmanbob 07-30-2015 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by OnMyWay7 (Post 5488669)

I used to think about drinking every minute, then every hour and now I can go a day without having to think about it.

I haven't entertained the thought of drinking for many, many years now.

Yes, sure beats being married to the liquid devil.

MM

DoubleFelix 07-30-2015 08:06 AM

Great post, OnMyWay7, thanks for sharing. I hope you're enjoying your time in Italy.

Soberwolf 07-30-2015 09:56 AM

Great post bud

firstymer 07-30-2015 10:03 AM

Excellent work. 10 days overseas with 4 kids under 14? Wow. Impressive indeed.

Thanks for coming here and posting. I am glad you made the right choice.

Keep up the good work! :ExeJump:

mcfearless 07-30-2015 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by OnMyWay7 (Post 5488669)
Almost 7 months sober and I've been on a 10 day vacation on a tour in Italy with my SO (who were currently separated but living together) and my four kids all under 14. Today was the first day that I was really losing my patience and all I wanted was 15 minutes alone. I thought about a glass of wine after about 5 minutes alone but I'm happy my first thought wasn't a drink - all I wanted was some peace and quiet. So I'm in the hotel lobby using the Hiltons wifi in Venice taking some time.

Just letting new comers know it gets easier. I used to think about drinking every minute, then every hour and now I can go a day without having to think about it.

I just had the realization that for the very first time in my entire post being a drunk life....not only have I now gone days without thinking about drinking, I've started to go days without even thinking about not thinking about drinking. If that makes any sense ?

I think I might be starting to come out of the other side of this thing. On the rare occasion alcohol has come into my mind, the knee jerk reaction to spit out that thought finally overpowers the voice that tells me to drink.

Dee74 07-30-2015 02:59 PM

Great post OMW :)
glad you had a good time :)

D

NestWasEmpty 07-30-2015 03:11 PM

Congrats on walking away - to find some space Well done !

VikingGF 07-30-2015 03:14 PM

Great post. Yes, alone, quiet time has become my go-to alternative as well. Enjoy Venice. Don't miss the first Jewish ghetto. It's very grounding to go to the museum.