Notices

do i need to give up pot to recover from alcoholism?

Old 07-30-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe89 View Post
I just see everyone else who can drink normally. I know by now that I cannot. But then there are so many people who smoke pot. It seems like most people do.
Then again, look at all the people in recovery. Odds are there are far more people you cross paths with who are happily sober but because there is no outward sign of this, you simply don't know.

We can spend our time consumed with thoughts of things we cannot do, or we can focus on the things we can. Guess which way leads to progress?

You can do this, IJM.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Not sure how you can detach yourself from one addiction while maintaining another one.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sadie1 View Post
Jeff, I am confused here by your post. Alcohol is a mind altering substance, same as pot. Same, same, chasing the high. Period
I guess that was point. I believe the question was whether or not he/she had to give up pot. And my question is why does he./she feel the need for either one. Getting high is getting high, right?
Old 07-31-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Acceptance was definitely a big step for me, the fact I was going to part ways with alcohol on a permanent basis to deal with my drinking, no more moderation experiments, trying to control alcohol.

Looking over at what other people could do didn't change the solution for me, and that was the key, we gotta meet life on the terms and circumstances that we find ourselves, we can't force a square peg into a round hole!!

You can do this!!
Old 08-01-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

As someone who has been addicted to meth (27 years sober) and alcohol (90 days sober) I can say marijuana is not an addictive substance to me. It's been in my house every day since I've been married--25 years--and I can take it or leave it. However. It increases anxiety and anxiety increases when you quit drinking. Mine went sky high and I personally don't want anything to add to it as I'm doing everything in my power to combat it. Just my 2 bits.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scram View Post
I seriously hope this post doesn't cause issues on the board. And honestly, I would probably defer to those on here with extended, successful sobriety.

With that said, I know two former serious alcoholics who now smoke weed. Neither has touched alcohol in 5+ years. Both seem relatively happy and successful, although you never know what's going on behind the scenes. One is a daily smoker, the other on occasion. So... it's not completely unheard of to continue/start smoking pot after giving up alcohol. That doesn't mean it's a good idea for most people.
Quite, one has no idea what's going on behind the scenes. And us junkies & alkies are experts at putting on masks and looking like everything is fine and dandy.

I switched from alcohol to pot when I was 21/22, as I feared I maybe had a drinking problem, and was able to convince myself I wasn't an alcoholic as I wasn't drinking, depsite the fact that I was smoking a butt load of hash & weed. Pot and alcohol are both ways to escape reality and to disconnect from people. And when it got to the point that my sources dried up, I went back on the booze and hit my rock bottom after 6 months.