Notices

Questions about brain fog/lightheaded PAWS

Old 07-29-2015, 08:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions about brain fog/lightheaded PAWS

Just was wondering if anyone else going through PAWS (I'm 38 days sober) experienced some of these symptoms. And how they dealt with them on a daily basis:
Brain fog
Lightheaded
Vison got worse
Uncoordinated
Eye twitches

Did anyone else have brain fog/lightheadedness (don't know which describes best) that got worse with activity? Such as being in the sun or physical labor (in my case helping someone move)
Old 07-29-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had pretty much the exact same symptoms constantly the first couple time I got sober (including this one ). For awhile, I was obsessing about it and despairing that I'd permanently damaged my brain with the drinking. But time has sorted it out every time, as long as I've stayed away from alcohol. My advice would be to push yourself to do the unpleasant things: get out in the sun, exercise even when it hurts, and try some brain games when you feel that mental fog. It can stink to feel like you're not as sharp as you used to be, but in my experience it's improved pretty quickly once I stopped drinking (the thing that was REALLY messing with my brain).

Good luck!
Old 07-29-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats in 38 days! Most of those symptoms COULD be part of withdrawals or PAWS, but they have many other potential caused both physical and mental. If any of them are affecting you negatively or you are concerned, seeing a doctor is probably a good idea.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frana5272 View Post
Brain fog
Vison got worse
Uncoordinated
This last time sobering up -- 7 years ago.
I suffered with the above for three or four months.
About the time in which I wondered if things would ever get better ?
God restored me.
Not quickly but, slowly.

MM
Old 07-30-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I certainly had that. The brain fog was just terrible. It lasted about 3 months and then gradually went away. It's part of the difficulty in getting sober. You have to push through it. Many people return to drinking just to feel better. Hang in there and you will feel better soon. See your dr for a physical to give yourself peace of mind.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yup, had all of this too...for several months. In fact for me it got worse until about 60 days, then started getting a lot better. In my case I think it was PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome). I had to slow my life down a bit...still went to work and all but when I got home deliberately tried to be calm and relaxed.

How's your sleep? My problems were made much worse by not getting restful sleep for several months. Eventually my doc gave me trazodone to use at night, which really helped start the process of healing.

The neurochemistry in the brain is all out of whack when you cease drinking...takes a while for things to return to balance.

I found this article helpful when I was going through it:

http://www.thefix.com/content/paws

Congrats on the 38 days!!
Old 07-30-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is a timely post. This is day 5. The sweating had calmed down a bit, but last night I woke up to a SOAKED pillow. This morning I went on my 3 mile walk, I had to stop halfway through and have someone pick me up because I thought I was going pass out. I started out great, full of gusto, but halfway through I got intensely hungry and didn't dare try walking back home. I think I might have been dehydrated, from all the sweating. I've been drinking water non stop today, but I'm not going to the bathroom as often as I should be in spite of the water intake.
But, I'm not as lightheaded.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yep, I had those things around two three months... and I wanted to drink too...

but hearing everyone say that it gets better if I stick with it... why would they lie? So I toughed it out.
Stick with it, it gets better.