Notices

here I am again

Old 07-29-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

here I am again

I've known I had a drinking problem for years now. I'm 31 and cannot pace myself whatsoever. I woke up this morning hungover and called out of work. I've done that a lot.

I want control over my life again. I honestly think I love alcohol more than anything in the world. At the same time, I can write a long list of negative things it's done to me, including arrests and broken bones. I have to stop, I'm not even religious but I have been praying for the strength to stay sober.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JoeyG1000 View Post
I've known I had a drinking problem for years now. I'm 31 and cannot pace myself whatsoever. I woke up this morning hungover and called out of work. I've done that a lot.

I want control over my life again. I honestly think I love alcohol more than anything in the world. At the same time, I can write a long list of negative things it's done to me, including arrests and broken bones. I have to stop, I'm not even religious but I have been praying for the strength to stay sober.
Welcome here Joey. You will find a lot of support here, and resources. Im early in the fight, but reading the posts and resources here helped me to start a plan for myself. I know the veterans will come along with support and links! Today is a good day to start !
Old 07-29-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I remember that feeling so well. Waking up hating myself again

Now that I'm sober I don't wake up like that anymore. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by JoeyG1000;5487630I
honestly think I love alcohol more than anything in the world. At the same time, I can write a long list of negative things it's done to me,
Welcome back Joey. I know the feeling and I remember a time when I though I loved alcohol too. Turns out it was a lie my addiction kept telling me to keep me drinking.

You'll find a lot of support and understanding here, the key at this point is finding a way to accept that drinking is simply not an option anymore.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done for recognising you have a problem Joey, that is the first hurdle

Would recommend a trip to your doctor for a check up/ blood test - find out what shape you are in. At 31 you will probably be OK.

Also it's a good idea to make a plan for living without alcohol so replace the drinking hours with other activities

Good luck Joey
Old 07-29-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just want my happiness, clear mind, and self control back.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Really nice to meet yuou joey heres some links

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 07-29-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Joey you want Control over your life -- You will get that and more when you get Sober Welcome Joey Stay Close to SR read & post . You can do it - I thought that way - Wanted that drink more than anything ... Until it came down to the Dr telling me , if you don't stop now in you may live 6 more months . I was only 53 that's what 10+ years hard drinking can do .
You can beat this !! These are Harsh words , but that was my wakeup call & I don't Sugar coat it . When it comes to Life or Death , 2 of my best friends younger than me passed from alcohol related problems . That's my strength to Fight to live

Last edited by NestWasEmpty; 07-29-2015 at 01:07 PM. Reason: add a sentence
Old 07-29-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jerry, and you will get those things back.

Most of us here have had a love/hate relationship with alcohol. You can get past this.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JoeyG1000 View Post
I just want my happiness, clear mind, and self control back.
With some sober time behind you, will will have exactly what you wish for. Welcome to SR! I am at 99 days and I feel happy, have a clear mind, and total self control. You can do it!
Old 07-29-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you made it to SR.
This can be the start of your sober life. I understand loving alcohol. Quitting now will put you ahead though.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Jerry.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Joey
whats your recovery plan?

D
Old 07-29-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Joey sorry man. I meant Joey.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to have you with us, Joey. You're among people who understand what you're going through. Wish I'd gotten free of it at 31. You'll avoid so much misery.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Even just now a friend asked me if I wanted to go golfing. I usually drink when I play. Going to say no.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good choice Joey.

D
Old 07-29-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey Joey, I'm glad you posted. Way to see a pattern and change it up - that's really the main thing we're all working on here, in one way or another.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Someone on SR compared loving alcohol with being involved with another person that you know is an unhealthy relationship but you keep going back because you love that person. You stay in that relationship even when you know it will end very bad. I think some people stay in unhealthy relationships because their scared of the unknown. Building a healthy relationship with yourself and life will show you just how unhealthy that life with alcohol actually was. But I think it takes time and distance to see that. Sorry for the long post, but I've drunk a lot of coffee today. LOL John
Old 07-29-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey Joey,

I'm 33 and I stopped drinking alcohol at 32. 31 was when I found out under no uncertain terms that my nightly drinking was taking a terrible toll on my health (from my doctor). I thought I was too young for that kind of stuff. Early 30's is a great time to stop. We're kinda young (but not that young) and not getting any younger. I had ten years of heavy, nightly drinking. It started off okay and I really enjoyed it. In fact, drinking in the evening was the number one thing I looked forward to in life. I would've happily given up just about anything dear to me to keep the option open for drinking. The problem was that the quantity of alcohol kept going up and up with my tolerance. Gosh, that's a weird feeling to look at twelve empty beer bottles and wonder Why don't I feel drunk?

I can totally relate to the age thing because at 27 I thought I was too young to get sober but at 32 I was like Oooookay, ummm, it's time a for a change, like, now.

The problem was it was getting harder and harder to get up and go to work in the morning. I truly started feeling like hell every day, all day. I was sweaty (even when it was cold), clammy, irritable, splitting headache, inability to concentrate, the whole nine yards. I just kept going though, hoping that I would eventually learn to tone it down so I could keep drinking but without the hangovers, embarrassment, and blackouts that were becoming more frequent.

If I could tell you one thing that I've learned in my year, it's that I need to do something for sobriety daily. It's really simple though. I log in here every day for maybe 30 minutes to an hour. I read people's stories and give advice when I can. Listening to people's stories and sharing a bit too has been the number one most powerful thing I've done for my sobriety. Or, in really simple terms, it's kept me sober for about 13 months so far. I can confidently say that I am never going to drink alcohol again. Feels really good.

I never thought I'd get to this point. Even going one evening without drinking used to be unimaginable. You may be wondering what I used to wonder: How in the hell have these people on here not had a drink in a year? Five years? 20 years? It's just one day at a time, man.

And you will be surprised that living without the hangovers and regrets is so much easier. Yeah, it's different and it still feels a little weird to think that I'll never be tearing up a dance floor again at a wedding or drink a beer on a beach, but that's okay. I did so much of that in my ten years of drinking that I'm content with having "had my fill." Been there, done that. I actually enjoy drinking a Pepsi on a beach and my gosh, so much more enjoyable without a hangover.

I tried with moderation for years but that obviously didn't work. In the end, drinking wasn't even fun anymore. It really was just maintenance and I kept waiting to enjoy it again but that wasn't happening. When it got really bad, I found out that it can get worse. I just had to stop drinking alcohol and allow myself the chance to have a pretty normal, feel good life.

Welcome.