Notices

Overcoming PAWS, What'd your Doc Say?

Old 07-28-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Overcoming PAWS, What'd your Doc Say?

Hello Everyone,
I previously posted my introduction post...
"Hello,
I am new to recovery. I have not had a drink since June 22nd. I guess the best way to do this would be to describe my timeline of symptoms to see if others have gone through similar experiences.

I stopped drinking completely on June 8th after going on a bender for a month and waking up that morning in my own vomit. That same day was like any other day with a hangover except about 8 hours after I stopped drinking I was at the store and felt as if i was about to pass out. I got really hot, my hands were sweating and I literally just felt like I was going to die. For the next couple of days I could not sleep at all, and just felt like I had the flu. After about a week the lightheartedness and everything went away and I felt fine again for a few days. Three days after feeling fine again I started drinking but only a couple of beers for two days. Then I started to experience what I can best describe as brain fog ever since then.

Basically I have had full on brain fog since June 22nd and it does not seem like it wants to go away anytime soon. My current to date symptoms include Brain fog, Vision problems (ever since the brain fog came on its like a cloud is over my head and I cant see things as well as I used to be able.. I need to get closer to see/read them). On top of this sometimes in the mornings I will see my thumb shaking as little bit when I am on my phone. THE WORST THING i have done this entire time is look online at all of the possibilities. I am thinking that it is Post Acute Withdrawal that is hitting me but am not completely sure.
While going through Acute withdrawal i did not experience Hallucinations or Seizures.
I should also probably add that I am young 22, I have been drinking for a year, and the only time it got out of hand was the last month before I stopped drinking (i am a binge drinker). I do not crave Alcohol, i just want this to be over with and feel normal again.

I have been to the doctor:
Got a CT scan
Chest X-Ray
EKG
Blood Pressure
Heart Rate
Blood Work (B complex is fine, No Lyme Disease)
Everything else seems to be fine other than the brain fog which accompanies great anxiety when it gets really bad, but the anxiety is only caused by the brain fog not the other way around.

Just want to know if others have experienced this and if it is normal...

Thanks.
"
Wanted to clear a few things up: Yes I have been honest with my doctor about how much I was drinking. When i first went to his office a week after my bout in the ER and having all my tests done he said i was going through DT's, and redid all the tests and they came back normal.

Did anyone have a slightly high hemoglobin when quitting? (might just be smoking)
Also the doctor I am seeing did his residency in an alcohol clinic so he seems to know his stuff.

But i am curious about what your doctor had to say about PAWS and the symptoms etc to go along with it.
Bear with me, I know that everyone is different but I am in one of those anxiety stages where I feel the Fog will never lift and I will never return to normal.
Thanks again.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you think it is PAWs there's some great info on dealing with it here:
http://www.digital-dharma.net/post-a...r-immediately/
D
Old 07-28-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Frana , Not sure if we can answer this question , for we can't give medical advice . Maybe try Googling it to see what the side affects are.
Someone should come in to help you more with this . Good luck on finding some help