Notices

Week One is Done

Old 07-27-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Week One is Done

Yes, I've got 7 days of sobriety! I had two weeks before that but fell off last week. I feel a difference this time around, a sense of peace and acceptance. I'm not fighting this quit. I'm giving into it like going into a deep sleep after a horrible, exhausting long day.

I have wanted total sobriety for a long time now, and I just realized that I've already been doing little things to set myself up for success. For example, several months ago, my childhood best friend found me on Facebook. Turns out she lives 10 minuts from me and wanted to hang out. We went out to dinner and after dinner she confessed that she used to have a drinking problem. She made it sound like it was a thing of the past. Still, I thought I should keep some distance. A few weeks later she invited me to a party, but I didn't go. She posted pics of herself drunk the next day. Next weekend, an invite to go clubbing. I declined. More drunk pics the next day...I had an inkling that she may still have problems and I made the right choice for me. I can't be around drinking at this point, so I've been distancing from people who indulge. It hasn't been too difficult, but I feel a little sad that I have to distance myself from friends and even family because of alcohol. I invite people to non-alcohol related activities, but some people, like my childhood friend, are not interested.

By the way, I have not told anyone IRL that I'm an alcoholic and I've quit. I just can't have those conversations right now.

The first time I was here (different username) two years ago, I was a scared, anxious mess. Two years of reading Dee's and so many other SR members' inspiring, enlightening, wise words have made all the difference for me. Thank you, SR folks. Sorry about the rambling. I had a lot of on my mind. ☺

Delfin
Old 07-27-2015, 09:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Delfin,
I just finished week one yesterday, and like you it's been off and on for a couple of years too.
I'm also feeling more protective of my resolve this time. I'm already a bit of a recluse but now I'll unapologetically forgo any invite that I feel may lead to temptation, or to the stress that can turn into a craving.
We have to put sobriety first right now. It won't be this delicate forever.
Keep it up!
Old 07-27-2015, 09:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your week delfin

D
Old 07-27-2015, 09:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on one week, Delfin. Definitely seems like you're on the right path and are making some wise decisions for your recovery.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delfin View Post

By the way, I have not told anyone IRL that I'm an alcoholic and I've quit. I just can't have those conversations right now.

Delfin
Good call and great job on the week. The first week is huge. I didn't tell anyone either until I had been sober for a few months. It was kind of like having a fun secret that I couldn't wait to tell everyone.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good job! I'm almost at three weeks, and was here 18 months ago under a different name. I had nearly 30 days at that point, but drank because I was flying and, probably, because I wanted to. Then it all escalated again from there and I saw no end in sight. I figured I had time. I've started and stopped, but mostly for just a few days.

It took a major event to scare the living s out of me--hospitalization, ICU, the whole nine yards. I never thought that would be me. I'm reading a book right now: The intimate relationship between women and alcohol. It's very good. When I was drinking, I'd sit on FB all night zoning in and out.

I've told very few people. My parents, my husband found out at the end-it's kind of amazing how many people don't realize the extent-the people in my IOP group know, of course and I told one random stranger. It's often easier.

Many people in my IOP group are farther down the road and are able to go to parties, and picnics. I never went to those anyway, but many of my relationships, especially the one where I had my bender, were built on alcohol. I wouldn't even know how to converse while sober. I can't go to anything now. I don't really care. I'm pretty busy as it is.

Good luck!
Old 07-27-2015, 10:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upwardspiral View Post
Hi Delfin,
I just finished week one yesterday, and like you it's been off and on for a couple of years too.
I'm also feeling more protective of my resolve this time. I'm already a bit of a recluse but now I'll unapologetically forgo any invite that I feel may lead to temptation, or to the stress that can turn into a craving.
We have to put sobriety first right now. It won't be this delicate forever.
Keep it up!
Yes, Upward, I'm definitely being protective and totally unapologetic. Those are the right words! We are nearly sobriety twins. Reborn on almost the same day!

Delfin
Old 07-27-2015, 10:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Good call and great job on the week. The first week is huge. I didn't tell anyone either until I had been sober for a few months. It was kind of like having a fun secret that I couldn't wait to tell everyone.
Heehee, Melinda. I thought I was the only one who thought of it as a fun secret. My plan is to get to a year and then casually start saying, "oh, I haven't had a drink in...a year!" Then I will watch people's jaws drop cause I almost always overindulged and then some. I am really looking forward to those moments. 😊

Delfin
Old 07-27-2015, 10:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by notgonnastoptry View Post
Good job! I'm almost at three weeks, and was here 18 months ago under a different name. I had nearly 30 days at that point, but drank because I was flying and, probably, because I wanted to. Then it all escalated again from there and I saw no end in sight. I figured I had time. I've started and stopped, but mostly for just a few days.

It took a major event to scare the living s out of me--hospitalization, ICU, the whole nine yards. I never thought that would be me. I'm reading a book right now: The intimate relationship between women and alcohol. It's very good. When I was drinking, I'd sit on FB all night zoning in and out.

I've told very few people. My parents, my husband found out at the end-it's kind of amazing how many people don't realize the extent-the people in my IOP group know, of course and I told one random stranger. It's often easier.

Many people in my IOP group are farther down the road and are able to go to parties, and picnics. I never went to those anyway, but many of my relationships, especially the one where I had my bender, were built on alcohol. I wouldn't even know how to converse while sober. I can't go to anything now. I don't really care. I'm pretty busy as it is.

Good luck!
Actually, NGST, your story strengthened my resolve to quit and stay quit forever. But for the grace of God...

I have read every all of your posts and am glad you are here and doing well, except for the BMs. That post reminded me of my daughter when she was a baby. The stuff I found in her diapers- especially the colors!

Anyhow, can you tell me the name of the book you're reading? I'm very interested in the topic, as you might imagine! Btw, I'm in your neck of the woods. Patriots all the way! (Trying to avoid mentions of deflate-gate).

Delfin
Old 07-27-2015, 10:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oops, NGST, you're not the one in the NE area...I wonder who I'm thinking of. I can't blame my forgetfulness and confusion on anything but old age now, but that's okay.

D.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Delfin congratulations on 7 days.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

7 days is a fantastic milestone keep up the good work Delfin