Notices

Stress

Old 07-27-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stress

I work in a very stressful environment. I'm a television news manager- so I have deadline upon deadline and personality upon personality. I'm going through a stressful divorce and I am a Type A.
I walk. I meditate. I've made a big whopping six days... and as I sit here at work, I can feel the little spring of stress winding tighter and tighter until I think my head will explode. What do some of you do - because this chick isn't going to drink.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

distance running.... the ultimate anti-depressant, anti-stress tool.

Also - you already meditate but given your line of work and your comments... have you read "Ten Percent Happier" by Dan Harris?

Also - congratulations on six days. You'll find that the more sobriety you have, the more stress becomes manageable with things like meditation and exercise. KEEP AT IT!!

Old 07-27-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, I agree with FreeOwl. Time, exercise, good food, sleep and meditation are your best friends right now. The first few weeks were difficult for me and I'm not even working or married, so I know it was just a matter of physical healing. The nervous system has been through a lot.

Can you delegate some of the workload and sort of ignore the personalities? I can just imagine.

In AA they say Principles before Personalities, and I've found that to be a really comforting approach. I start thinking about a lovely beach and my toes in warm water whenever someone starts on a rant.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Somewhere, something needs to be in smaller pieces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
t307300.jpg (55.1 KB, 85 views)
Old 07-27-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

work with a good therapist was also helpful to me.... not in direct regard to addiction, but for understanding self, working with the underlying issues that contributed to my stress, letting out emotion and working on awareness....

Stress is a part of life. It will always be there. For me, coping with it effectively and in healthy ways requires a broad, balanced 'tool kit'. It's no one thing, but the tapestry of things.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

i agree with all the posts diet exercise meditation etc.. But I also think not biting off more then we can chew and keeping things as simple as possible. Over time i had to try and lighten my load more and more so i could keep my sanity. and even now somedays I think my load is light i'm thankful for this. but other days I think hmm my load could be lighter.

I'd rather keep it easy. I want things like exercise diet meditation to be more for my well being then for my "program" to blow off steam and retain sanity.

lifes to short who wants to live it stressed out? whats the point?

Now let me go take some of my own advice!
Old 07-27-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would really focus on the Serenity Prayer every time a stressful situation or personality presents itself. Say it to yourself and evaluate whether that situation is something you can control or not and react accordingly. Most of the stuff that happens around us in life are things that we cannot control.

Focus on the things you can change and ignore the rest. Not because the rest doesn't matter but because you can't change it anyway.

I had a situation at work a few years ago where there was an issue with payroll direct deposits going out on time for a large corporation. The Payroll Manager was in my office flipping out and stressing. I calmly called the bank representative, alerted them to the problem, they set about fixing the problem. He watched me do all of this and said "I don't see how you can be so calm! This is payroll we're talking about!" I responded "I know it is important and we've taken all the action we can take at this point. It isn't going to get fixed any faster by me stressing out about it." He looked at me and said "I wish I could do that"

Remember that worrying and stressing are like rocking in a rocking chair: The rocking gives you something to do but you don't get anywhere. Take action where action is necessary and leave it at that.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Im about to take my stress out on my punchbag its a great stress reliever you can get them at affordable prices
Old 07-27-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I do find journaling helpful when I have thoughts running around in my head. And, I love reading and getting caught up in a good book is a great distraction.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I don't doubt you are stressed, but much of that is amplified by the fact that you are only 6 days sober and still going through withdrawals.

Drinking has been your go-to solution. Your addiction is well aware of that and is certainly ramping up the stress hoping you'll buckle.

Don't.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The early days are hard and I know your job is stressful.

Exercise is one thing I've found instrumental.

Be kind and patient with yourself. Life is so much better sober.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi ckoures, oh boy, I feel for ya. I've known some people in your line of work and I can only imagine the insanity it must be day in and day out, especially the personalities. I would guess you HAVE to be a type A to even do the job.
Anyway, I can kind of relate in my own way. I can only share what has helped me. When things got hectic I always thought all hell was going to break loose and it would be the end of me, or my business/career. I finally reached a breaking point and and said screw it, I'll give it 100%, prioritize my work-list and if it doesn't get done, well, it doesn't get done. And I'll be damned if I didn't find out that the world did not indeed end when every single thing didn't get done as planned or expected. I'm not sure if that would work in your situation, but it has helped me. Sometimes I just have to stand my ground. In the end, you are a television news manager, not a miracle worker and hopefully those around you can understand that. Glad to hear you're not going to drink over it. I wish you the best. Just out of curiosity, are some of the personalities you speak of kind of out there? I've heard some stories through the grapevine of some of the news anchors and reporters for our local stations that leave me shaking my head.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There are some strange ones out there... And some wonderful people too. I made it without drinking. I'm slowly starting to feel better about my life right now. Can't imagine the pain of sliding back. I will avoid it at all costs. Thanks again
Old 07-28-2015, 01:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some simple but effective ideas on managing stress here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...44-stress.html

D