Notices

panic attacks

Old 07-26-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

panic attacks

Here it is day 16 an I keep having these awlful out of the blew panic attacks.. They come for no apparent reason.. Is this normal.. I keep freaking out at the odds moments..
Old 07-26-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if I can help you with the panic attack question but I just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you! Hang in there....it will get better. I'm sure someone with experience with panic attacks will be along shortly.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

tonisherrell, Yes sorry to say I did get them too. Like you say Out of the blue . I believe it's your mind & or body still wanting the alcohol . Sort of still having with drawls . If I changed what I was doing , they wouldn't last long . If I got myself thinking something was wrong with me it only made them worse .
If your real bothered by them you should double check with a Dr just to make sure Never hurts & could ease your mind too . Congrats on 16 days !!
Old 07-26-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That was normal for me however I have had anxiety disorders for many years.
I know your brain makes some adjustments as it gets used to no longer being damped down with alcohol.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It takes a few months for the nervous system and the rest of the body to settle down. The further out you go in sobriety, anxiety and out of the nowhere panic attacks should lessen and/or disappear. If things get intolerable, you may want to see your Dr. There's no need to suffer through crazy, panic attacks.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The doctor gave me xanax to take during anxiety attacks but I have anxiety about taking them lol crazy huh.. Normally I just try to ride them out but I shouldn't let myself suffer. I'll start taking them when needed..
Old 07-26-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I may have mentioned this in one of your other threads, but I can share what helped me a little bit with them. The panic attacks themselves are obviously very real, but they are without merit (if that makes any sense). In other words, you have no reason to truly be panicking. For example if your house was on fire in the middle of the night and you panicked, it would be warranted. But the panic attacks I'd get that were the result of alcohol were unwarranted. I would tell myself this over and over and breath deeply, it seemed to help.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks u guys
Old 07-26-2015, 09:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tonisherrell View Post
The doctor gave me xanax to take during anxiety attacks but I have anxiety about taking them lol crazy huh.. Normally I just try to ride them out but I shouldn't let myself suffer. I'll start taking them when needed..
Yes, I would follow your doctor's advice. Always a good plan. Are you feeling any better Toni?
Old 07-27-2015, 01:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 16 is fantastic Toni!!
Old 07-27-2015, 04:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

16 days is a great start. (On the positive side)
Old 07-27-2015, 04:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I would get these panic attacks when I woke up in the middle of the night. It was a sensation I never had before. A feeling of something awful about to happen, A sort of crushing fear with no idea of what to be fearful of. I would try to dispel it by walking around. I suspected that it was the result of withdrawal from alcohol, my body signaling its desperation to renew the supply. But I was in denial and did not really focus on this. This was the first sign of my developing alcoholism and it took three and a half more years before I was able to acknowledge that I had the problem, so deep was my denial. After admitting that I was an alcoholic it took twenty years before I was able to attain complete sobriety and I have not had a drink in 27 years. I bitterly regret that it took me so long but am thankful for the sobriety that eventually came. It has made all the difference in my life, a life which might have been different from the beginning had it not been for alcohol.

W.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Had another panic episode while driving but it only lasted a few mins.. I'll be glad when this passes... Day 17..
Old 07-27-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tonisherrell View Post
Had another panic episode while driving but it only lasted a few mins.. I'll be glad when this passes... Day 17..
This clearly raises serious safety issues. "A few minutes" would be all it might take for a complete disaster Urge that you seek medical advice before driving again. If someone else were hurt or even killed you would be in a serious legal mess, something which you definitely don't need what with all your other problems. Please be careful.

W.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Panic attack=your thinking way to much. I got them when i was hung over in the am, stay as busy as you can and try and think positive. One day at a time, seek medical advice as stress is bad for all of us