Notices

Non-Alcoholic Beer

Old 07-26-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Non-Alcoholic Beer

I had some serious cravings today, so decided I would try a non-alcoholic beer to see if it could curb it. Actually, it is 0.5% alcohol

I'm wondering if this is not a good idea as it might be a psychological trigger and make me want the real thing. Surprisingly, it's not half bad and I do enjoy the taste of beer, I would just hate this to lead me to my old familiar ways again.

Last edited by Dee74; 07-26-2015 at 03:14 PM. Reason: no brand names please
Old 07-26-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thats precisely why i dont drink NA alcohol if it smells like it looks like it its too close i wont even drink shandy or cook with alcohol

militant lol no but in all seriousness if your craving and you reach for a fake beer how long till you reach for a real one

im not saying you will as i have a few rare SR friends that drink NA beer

For me its too close if you are craving try this http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 07-26-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's easy for me, I won't touch the stuff. Period. Don't need any reminders of the madness.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"I would just hate this to lead me to my old familiar ways again."
I think if part of you is concerned about this then it would be best to avoid it. There are lots of ways to deal with cravings, I think there is a whole list of 'em at the top of the forum. I'd suggest trying out different ones and seeing what works. Did anything specific happen that triggered the cravings?
Old 07-26-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I asked the same question earlier and someone on here told me (forgive me i cant remember the persons name) "non alcoholic beer is for non alcoholics" that answered my question in a nutshell x x
Old 07-26-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, it's better than a relapse and if it helps with the cravings, I'd use it as well. But you really need to assess if it could become a trigger. That's up to you.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wouldn't touch the stuff.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all, I think I knew the answer to my question before I asked but your support helps. I think my trigger is that I'm a week into this and weekends are when I'd drink the most, especially Sunday's for some reason. Maybe because I have more alone time.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daybyday71915 View Post
Thanks all, I think I knew the answer to my question before I asked but your support helps. I think my trigger is that I'm a week into this and weekends are when I'd drink the most, especially Sunday's for some reason. Maybe because I have more alone time.
A week is still very early in recovery. Give it a couple more weeks and the weekends will be easier as well.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with JerryFish. Give yourself some time to adjust. You might be surprised how little you crave it the longer you go.

Wishing you the best.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I say "progress not perfection" but N/A beer would absolutely be a slippery slope for me personally. I can actually "taste" it right now as I am typing this and I don't have a drop of alcohol OR N/A beer in my house. Knowing me I would drink a few N/A beers and say "screw this! If I am gonna have the calories, I want the buzz!" True statement! :-0

Anyway, I have seen many threads (debates) about this in the past where some people say that since N/A beer DOES have alcohol in it it's a relapse. I personally have no opinion about that either way though. I think it's all about intent. But WHY do they call it N/A beer when it still has alcohol in it? Why not call it "a small amount of alcohol beer? A.K.A. asaoaBeer. Haha.

Well at least you didn't drink the real thing! I know I would have dumped the N/A crap & bought the real thing. Too much of trigger for me for sure!

Great job on your sober time! :-) Great that you posted this!
Old 07-26-2015, 11:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I would keep away from it, but you do what you think is best. I drink ice tea and soda water.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There are soo many other flavours out there to try, sodas, waters, teas, juices. We can now choose something different!!
Old 07-27-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Threw out the NA beer this morning. Realized it felt far too much like actual drinking and I'm looking for healthier patterns and habits. Thanks for your support everybody! A new day today!
Old 07-27-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Good work, Day.

I'm with the others, I stay far away from it also. And, like SoberWolf I don't even cook with alcohol any more.

Mix up your day if you can; read through the tips SW posted. The urge will pass. Just don't pick up that first drink today. You've got this!
Old 07-27-2015, 06:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
quat

My take is that triggers are generated by the AV, "here's a situation that is similar to a past situation where you decided to drink, so c'mon isn't drinking indicated here?!, Look same thing, c'mon "
The best defense against this annoyance to pound it into oblivion "Regardless I'm a nondrinker, so ...bugger off, and btw next time you come around with c'mon.. ect the answer will be the same"
NA beer is kind of giving into to the root of that idea , no ? I know some people enjoy it , and good for them , but for me it was kind of letting te AV open a crack in the door, the one I shut.
And besides , I'd prefer to not Have to drink something that's not so, or too bad, when there are Good tasting beverages
Old 07-27-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

NA beer actually works for me, but I'm not sure if I recommend it or not. I didn't try it until a few months in, and did so with trepidation. But, for me, it makes me feel normal when socializing, and I enjoy the taste. But only Buckler. That's the only NA beer I can tolerate.

I don't know, but I know it has worked for me. If you go that route, just be very vigilant of your feelings and thoughts, and dump it immediately if it's making you think off track.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Duckguy View Post
But, for me, it makes me feel normal when socializing...
I think this is the main reason that drives people to consider NA beer/wine.

If it was just a matter of settling on a beverage that didn't have alcohol, there are so many other choices. But the desire to "fit" in, to not appear as an outsider in situations that are alcohol centric has to be addressed differently than say, choosing between seltzer, or tea, or soda.

When I first quit, I didn't worry about drinking NA beer to fit in because I didn't go anywhere where I had to "fit" in. Later, when I did start going out to places that served alcohol, something wasn't right if I had to hold something in my hand that looked, smelt, and somewhat tasted like beer in order to appear normal to other drinkers. My whole goal was to make not drinking my normal state. NA beers went against that.

It didn't take me long to not care what friends, family, co-workers or other drinkers thought about me holding a can of pop instead of a beer.

The sooner other newcomers to sobriety get over that hurdle, the better for them.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I think this is the main reason that drives people to consider NA beer/wine.

If it was just a matter of settling on a beverage that didn't have alcohol, there are so many other choices. But the desire to "fit" in, to not appear as an outsider in situations that are alcohol centric has to be addressed differently than say, choosing between seltzer, or tea, or soda.

When I first quit, I didn't worry about drinking NA beer to fit in because I didn't go anywhere where I had to "fit" in. Later, when I did start going out to places that served alcohol, something wasn't right if I had to hold something in my hand that looked, smelt, and somewhat tasted like beer in order to appear normal to other drinkers. My whole goal was to make not drinking my normal state. NA beers went against that.

It didn't take me long to not care what friends, family, co-workers or other drinkers thought about me holding a can of pop instead of a beer.

The sooner other newcomers to sobriety get over that hurdle, the better for them.
I agree with that, spot on.