Notices

Dealing With Shame

Old 07-26-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing With Shame

Dealing with Shame

Alcoholism seems to differ from other illnesses in its historic links with shame. For centuries “drunks” have been looked down on as somehow “bad”, morally corrupt, irresponsible, selfish, lying sinners. “Drunkenness” has been viewed as even more despicable than greed, gluttony, lust and the other “seven deadly sins”. How often have we heard someone say, “He has only himself to blame! He brought all that on himself. He is a disappointment and a disgrace to his wife and children!”
“Drunkenness” does involve a matter of volition. No one compels an alcoholic to take a drink. Is it then like diabetes, where a person must avoid excessive sugar? Have you ever heard someone say of a diabetic, “He’s an evil person, sugared himself to death! A disgrace to his whole family!” Or if a person had a serious allergy to certain kinds of shellfish would someone say, “That greedy man lobstered himself to death! For shame!”
No. An excessive love of sugar or lobsters is more often considered a misfortune rather than a sinful self affliction. An alcoholic, unless he “gets a grip on himself” is thought of as ending in the gutter, just where he belongs, what he deserves because of his “character defects” which, beyond his control, he should have prayed to have “removed” in humble surrender with great humility.
Finally, what about cancer, another notorious killer? Certainly there are those who may have brought on lung cancer by smoking but even these are not likely to be disparaged like the way alcoholics are often looked down upon. I had a friend who pretty much smoked himself to death yet fifty or sixty people showed up at his funeral. Would the same have happened if at some late hour he had killed himself by driving, intoxicated, into a tree on some lonely road? Is it more likely that folks would say, “He always was a drunk. Lucky he didn’t kill someone else!”
What can alcoholics do about shame if it interferes with complete recovery? One thing seems clear to me. And that is not to fall for my AV which likes to say, “Poor you! No one understands. Makes you feel pretty low, pretty lonely. One stiff drink might help. Make you feel a little better. Maybe make some friends at the bar, talk to the bartender. Cheers!” Try to leave shame behind. When you give up alcohol, give up shame. For once, don’t dwell on what others think, or what you think they think. I had to learn to give myself a break. Give myself something I never had, true sobriety, happiness. Let others think what they will. They won’t stop me from reaching for the sunlight.

W.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for that Painter! Shame was a huge stumbling block for me for a long time! I really needed to read that today, especially the last part. :-)
Old 07-26-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
Thank you for that Painter! Shame was a huge stumbling block for me for a long time! I really needed to read that today, especially the last part. :-)
Glad you liked it. By way of a P.S. I might add that another suggestion my AV might offer would be, "If your drinking friends offer you a drink and encourage you to have "just one"- "You deserve it! Just one won't make any difference. Anyway you can handle it now. Just have to cut down a bit. Wine certainly won't hurt now and then.!"
That's quite enough from you, AV.! Cool it! Back in your cage! In the Middle Ages they'd put an offender into an "oubliette" (which means a place where a person is ignored or even forgotten). That's where you are now, AV!

W
Old 07-26-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good post Painter
Old 07-26-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this wpainterw, it was exactly what I needed to hear today. I have been feeling sorry for myself lately because my siblings do not understand alcoholism and treat me as if I am a bad person. After reading your post I started to wonder if it is more of "what I think they think" than what they actually think. Either way it was good to have a reminder to let it go. It still makes me sad that we are not as close as we used to be however I can't control what they do - all I can do is stay sober and keep doing the next right thing.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Painter.
The straight line, Shame_Self Pity_Drinking.....has caught me many times.
Excellent post and reminder.
Jonathan
Old 07-26-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this, wpainterw. I think you're right - there are deep connections between drinking and shame, in a lot of ways. Alcoholics experience this culturally, but I think many of us struggled with it before we started drinking, too. I definitely started and (continued) to drink as a way to outrun my shame - and we all know how well that works...

I think giving up my addiction to shame, pity and self-centeredness has been just a big a part of giving up my addiction to alcohol itself. In the end they all felt like companions and it was difficult to imagine life without them. I'm hardly free from it yet, but it's good to know that it is at least an option.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Thanks for this wpainter. I definitely need to work on my shame, as you say, it loves to feed the AV.

Very thought provoking post.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

That was a great post. Thank you for sharing.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your nice replies. What continues to intrigue me is how complex alcoholism is, having many sources, like a river with many tributaries: genetic, cultural, biophysical, chemical, neurological, volitional, etc. etc. Understanding it is a little like the blind men with the elephant, one grasping the ear and saying the beast is a large banana leaf, another a leg and saying the beast is a like a tree, another the trunk and thinking it more like a snake. Yet the elephant is all of that and more. And, despite its complexity, what to do about it can be more simply said: don't drink, seek professional advice, help from other recovering alcoholics, and eventually learn that the best way to help oneself is to try to help others, without falling into the denial of thinking that you're O.K. and that it's only the others who need help.

W.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Very true wpainter!! Great thread!!
Old 07-27-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for the post, my shame right now is over whelming. So how do you deal with the shame? I was a total loser freak last night, I can only imagine what my neighbors must think.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you. I also needed to read this today. I've been feeling like a pathetic looser for a long time now.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Thanks for all your nice replies. What continues to intrigue me is how complex alcoholism is, having many sources, like a river with many tributaries: genetic, cultural, biophysical, chemical, neurological, volitional, etc. etc. Understanding it is a little like the blind men with the elephant, one grasping the ear and saying the beast is a large banana leaf, another a leg and saying the beast is a like a tree, another the trunk and thinking it more like a snake. Yet the elephant is all of that and more. And, despite its complexity, what to do about it can be more simply said: don't drink, seek professional advice, help from other recovering alcoholics, and eventually learn that the best way to help oneself is to try to help others, without falling into the denial of thinking that you're O.K. and that it's only the others who need help.

W.
Thank you for this thread, wpainterw

I am copying what you said here about the complexity of alcoholism. I will be referring to it if any teachable moments present themselves.

The shame that goes along with this disease or illness (or whatever we label it) is so debilitating and can keep us in an endless loop of drink, shame, drink to ease shame, worse shame and around we go.

As we recover we need to be so vigilant against the AV trying to shame us into drinking and keeping us stuck in our disease.

We need to beat that so and so (family site!) AV down and keep beating it down. As often and as long as we need to.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I had to deal with my past but refuse to "sit in it". We must forgive ourselves and others - we are only human.

“Chronic remorse, as all the moralists are agreed, is a most undesirable sentiment. If you have behaved badly, repent, make what amends you can and address yourself to the task of behaving better next time. On no account brood over your wrongdoing. Rolling in the muck is not the best way of getting clean.”

― Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
Old 07-27-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The difference is that if somebody is diabetic they usually take responsibility for it and take their insuline. If somebody is alergic to shellfish, they usually don't cry about it and go to a restaurant and eat lobster after lobster.......so in no circumstance would somebody say "he lobstered himself to death..."

....and yes people usually react that way to drunk drivers as drunk drivers have taken the lives of countless innocent people. Drunk drivers destroy lives and should never be given an ounce of pity.

If alcoholism was an illness like diabetes, your doctor would tell you that you have alcoholism and you need to not consume it, you would then not consume it and problem solved. But it's not an illness, it's a drug addiction. Alcohol is a drug. A socially acceptable drug and a taxable drug, so the illness debate keeps you blind to that fact.

Do heroin addicts have an illness? Or is it drug addiction?
What about crack heads? Illness? Or drug addiction?
these are not socially acceptable or taxable drugs so we look at them for what they are: drugs.

IMO I think it's highly irresponsible to class alcohol addiction in the same cathegory as actual medical illnesses. It gives people an easy excuse "Im not responsible, it's my illness".

This post makes me think of the drunk I had for a father. A violent drunk who wrecked lives. A drunk who NEVER, and I mean NEVER had any desire to quit alcohol. He lives alone and he'll die alone and in a weird way....he's fine with that. But to put him in the same cathogory as an aunt of mine who lived a remarkable life and is now suffering the result of an actual illness......is a little bit sickening.

Shame and guilt come from when you have a belief about something and your actions don't match that belief. You can't change your actions from the past but you can change your belief. Once your taking responsibility for your actions now.

If other people are shaming you that's an entirley different matter. If toxic people shame you, you have to ask why you give value to the opinion of toxic peope.

Look up toxic shame.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think addiction is an illness. I never chose to become addicted to alcohol.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I see addiction to mind altering substances as a sickness in the sense that there might be pre-dereliction to it genetically, a physiological change in brain chemistry and a sickness of the soul.

I have some friends who are addicted to eating (obese) and have health related problems as they get older. But their personalities are the same whether or not they binge eat. They do have some shame, though, and try to eat better. Another friend who has high blood pressure and she liberally salts everything though she knows she's not supposed to. However, she's a great person to be around. They lead pretty normal lives and no one is damaged by any volatile or changing behaviors.
I know of 2 people (a former spouse of a friend and a brother of a friend) who are addicted to gambling. That's probably the closest to the awful damage that drinking can bring to a family that I've seen. Some of the things they did -- stole from their family, threatened family members' lives, burned down the family home to try to collect insurance money (a fail), stole from others, ruined their own lives and livelihood, hiding their habit, personality changing from nice to violent in an instant, caring more about their habit than their families. No substance abuse though.

I'm just saying it's complicated. Not quite cut and dry comparing it to an illness like diabetes.

Not that it matters to a huge degree. It is shameful, and I think it's OK to be ashamed to the point of wanting and making a change to become sober. If someone shamed me, I'd just say they're right, but I'm sober now and it's behind me.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Kery James wrote: "Do heroin addicts have an illness? Or is it drug addiction?
What about crack heads? Illness? Or drug addiction?"

I'm sorry but it does not seem that simple to me. Is there a sharp line between an "addiction" and an "illness" ? Or might an "addiction" be an "illness", albeit of a particular type. Syphilis is an "illness". Although a person may be born with syphilis it is more often contracted by intercourse with someone who is infected. This may well happen outside the marriage bond. Like heroin consumption it is frowned on by society, And rightly so. The same is so with heroin, consumed for the purpose of getting a pleasurable "buzz". But morphine addiction may result from pain prescriptions given in the hospital. I was prescribed oxycodone for pain and sleep after a "noninvasive" heart valve replacement in a very reputable metropolitan hospital. Prolonged hospital stays may result in an "addiction", which can be medically treated. A baby may be born with an addiction and this not a result of "bad" behavior by the baby.
So to me at least it's just not that simple, this supposed argument between those who have the "addiction" theory and the "illness" theory. Once one becomes ill as a result of the body's addiction the person, to continue in recovery, should take responsibility for himself/herself. Follow medical directions, seek help from other recovering alcoholics, help other recovering alcoholics, work hard to put "shame" behind and work on self forgiveness, apologies to those who may have been harmed unless doing so would harm them further. No black and white approach seems entirely accurate and fitting to all circumstances. That doesn't mean that we cannot agree on what can be done to get into recovery. Surely no one recommends that an "addicted" person is going to get well by remaining passive and saying, "Cure me, doctor. Just like mumps and measles. i'll sit here and you cure me. If I don't get well I guess you haven't done your job right." Whatever is the "explanation" for this the person in recovery has a job to do. It's a hard job, takes lots of patience, lots of guts, lots of time. But it can lead to the sunlight. And the other way leads to darkness, unhappiness and, eventually a painful death.

W.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This is a great thread. For me, shame can play a large role in losing that motivation to quit. This has happened to me many times. "Poor me, pour me another drink".

Last night it was pointed out to me I'm somewhat of a nihilist. IOW, the attitude creeps in of "Who cares, you're an alcoholic, just drink. Life is too hard without it. Nothing matters." I'm sure this is based some way in shame. I'm glad this was pointed out, because I think self-awareness is one of the biggest tools we can use to fight these obstacles.