Notices

Drug Rehab near Wilmington, DE?

Old 07-26-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drug Rehab near Wilmington, DE?

Hello all! I'm new here and hope to pick your collective brains.

I have a 23 year old daughter, heroin addict, this is not about her - in good recovery.

My wife and I are organizing an addiction / heroin informational event at our church this September. We have a wonderful keynote speaker and are in the process of inviting various recovery support groups, sober living houses and detox / rehab facilities to exhibit before and after the main speaker. The event is free and open to the public but, our main focus is to reach out to the youth of the faith community, we have contacted numerous youth ministers in our area and extended special invitations to them.

We have somewhat limited space for exhibitors and therefore need to be pretty selective with our invitations. Thankfully, we only have experience with one detox / rehab facility (yes, they will be exhibiting) from our geographical area. We have a number of support groups like NA, Nar-Anon, AattackAddiction committed to come, plus a number of local sober living houses. Simple web searches reveal there are numerous detox / rehab facilities nearby -- we have recommendations for several of them via our Nar-Anon group, but there may be others in the area which we do not know about.

Web searches yield numerous results, some of those facilities appear via numerous search engines and lists, however, frequent appearances may just mean that that group has a good marketing department and may have little if anything to do with the quality of treatment.

I am seeking the "cream" of the local crop to invite, first hand experience is always the best! So if you have any positive first hand experience around Delaware, please let me know the facility name. Negative feedback is also valuable.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 07-26-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

mirmont treatment center, they have a web site
Old 07-26-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Jim nice to meet you
Old 07-26-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

...mirmont treatment center....
Thanks, that is one of the places which seems to keep cropping up in various searches.

Have you or a loved one been there?
Jim
Old 07-26-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would suggest contacting local narc anon and other recovery groups that have local experience with the facilities in your areas. Call the public/municipal/county drug/alcohol resources too as they will have familiarity with what is available locally.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks! We are faithful members of Nar-Anon and have already solicited their input. There are only two Nar-Anon meetings in this county - so that "pool" is pretty shallow.

As for the government agencies - for the most part, they just post the same lists and we will also have those lists available at the event -- I am at the "sorting" stage of planning where I am attempting to invite only the best of the group to exhibit.

All of the facilities sound great on paper or pixels - that is why I am looking for first hand experiences - without the input of the marketing department!

Jim
Old 07-28-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Does anyone have any first hand experience with Bowling Green in southern Pennsylvania?

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yes, I recommend Mirmont to anyone for anything, keep in mind it is a mixed bag of trix. A "one size fits all" approach to treatment. But the individual care is there also. Facilities okay, food better than most hotels in the area.
Nice gym, meditation rooms, yoga daily everyone must participate. 12 step approach, smoking cessation classes, pain management, great staff. Mindfulness taught and access to the persons who run this portion of the facility are excellent. typically a 30 day facility if you can afford it or have the right insurance - $$$$

Malvern Institue - run away, run away - don't go near this place.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck jim
Old 07-29-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
yes, I recommend Mirmont to anyone for anything, keep in mind it is a mixed bag of trix. A "one size fits all" approach to treatment. But the individual care is there also. Facilities okay, food better than most hotels in the area.
Nice gym, meditation rooms, yoga daily everyone must participate. 12 step approach, smoking cessation classes, pain management, great staff. Mindfulness taught and access to the persons who run this portion of the facility are excellent. typically a 30 day facility if you can afford it or have the right insurance - $$$$

Malvern Institue - run away, run away - don't go near this place.
Eh. I went to Malvern. Facilities left a little to be desired but I wasn't there for a vacation. Counselors were very good and the detox unit really helped me out, as I was a complete mess when I checked in (came from the ICU). I'm still sober after almost 2.5 years so it definitely did the trick for me. I know several people who went to Malvern over the years and now have long-term sobriety.

They have two rehabs now, the original and a new site in King of Prussia. I was in rehab before the King of Prussia one opened so I can't comment on that.

I know lots of people who went to Mirmont. I've heard mixed things, but that's probably true of any rehab.

Caron is probably the best but they don't take insurance. I've only heard bad things about Bowling Green.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Digdug , thanks for opinion on Bowling Green ..........they are also one of the facilities which keeps appearing on virtually every search. Like I said in OP, they all are great on paper or pixels!

Jim
Old 09-25-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

All,

Thanks for all of your input!

Our event is happening next Tuesday evening, September 29 - we will just manage to squeak into National Recovery Month.

We have a great keynote speaker plus 2 residential rehabs, 2 abstinence based IOPs, 1 medication assisted IOP, 1 extended rehab, 2 sober houses, Attack Addiction, NA and Nar-Anon as exhibitors.

If you are close to Wilmington, DE, and are interested send a private message and I'll give you more details.

Free and open to the public.

Jim
Old 09-25-2015, 10:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JimC60 View Post
Hello all! I'm new here and hope to pick your collective brains.

I have a 23 year old daughter, heroin addict, this is not about her - in good recovery.

My wife and I are organizing an addiction / heroin informational event at our church this September. We have a wonderful keynote speaker and are in the process of inviting various recovery support groups, sober living houses and detox / rehab facilities to exhibit before and after the main speaker. The event is free and open to the public but, our main focus is to reach out to the youth of the faith community, we have contacted numerous youth ministers in our area and extended special invitations to them.

We have somewhat limited space for exhibitors and therefore need to be pretty selective with our invitations. Thankfully, we only have experience with one detox / rehab facility (yes, they will be exhibiting) from our geographical area. We have a number of support groups like NA, Nar-Anon, AattackAddiction committed to come, plus a number of local sober living houses. Simple web searches reveal there are numerous detox / rehab facilities nearby -- we have recommendations for several of them via our Nar-Anon group, but there may be others in the area which we do not know about.

Web searches yield numerous results, some of those facilities appear via numerous search engines and lists, however, frequent appearances may just mean that that group has a good marketing department and may have little if anything to do with the quality of treatment.

I am seeking the "cream" of the local crop to invite, first hand experience is always the best! So if you have any positive first hand experience around Delaware, please let me know the facility name. Negative feedback is also valuable.

Thanks,
Jim
You can pick the "cream"'of the crop, but unless the addict wants help, they will all work about the same. I went to Seabrook House in NJ. I know many others who went to HIddenbrook or Fr Martins Ashley in MD, and Caron and Bowling Green in Pa.

NA has grown tremendously in Delaware from when I first started out but I haven't been active there in years though still attend AA.

If you read the newspaper, avoid Crossroads, and don't know anyone who's been help by Brandywine Counseling.

All I can recommend is keep on praying.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I went to Fathers Martins Ashley in Havre De Grace MD (northeast MD). I had a great experience there. I highly recommend this facility. It is on the pricey side....but you get what you pay for. Best Wishes.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

BBQboy,

FMA is where my RADD went also - did you go to the Annual Reunion last weekend?

FMA is one of our residential exhibitors at the event on Tuesday.

JIm
Old 09-27-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

No, I did not go Jim. I will try to get to it next year. They do a good job of keeping the alumni involved.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So sad.....

RADD called last Sunday night, upset - yet another one of her friends in recovery, relapsed and died from an overdose.

I picked up the paper yesterday morning and found the obituary for a 22 yo woman - as usual the obit did not say she had died from an overdose, but the "secret" came out when the family asked that in lieu of flowers that donataions be made to a local IOP and counseling group.

Got an e-mail this morning from a fellow on the Board of a nearby hospital - nine ODs treated last weekend - two fatal.

It just never seems to stop - so young, so fragile, what a waste.

Jim