Notices

Survived the weekend

Old 07-26-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Survived the weekend

Made it one week today. Like many, the weekdays are easy and I don't even think about drinking. Friday was not too bad, as I had to work Saturday morning, but I was finished work by noon and it was a beautiful beach day. I had terrible cravings yesterday, but I knew drinking was not an option. It always seems like everyone around me is happy on the weekends, having beers in the sun enjoying life. I had a nice day, went out to lunch and to two different unique beaches, but just felt solemn. I hope I can eventually get over this feeling of missing out, which is what always seems to get to me. They say comparison is the thief of joy, and I believe it. I don't have social media anymore, so I think that helps a lot. As much as I am proud I made it through the weekend, I hope a few more under my belt will make it easier. I just feel empty today, not proud. Hope everyone else is having a good weekend!
Old 07-26-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Congrats on getting through the weekend sober Lucie!

On day 11 here so big pats on the back to both of us
Old 07-26-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BringingBackB View Post
Congrats on getting through the weekend sober Lucie!

On day 11 here so big pats on the back to both of us
Good job bringingbackb! I know how hard the weekends can be:/ keep up the good work!
Old 07-26-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job Lucie on not giving in, hang in there!!
Old 07-26-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Nice well done Lucie , You planned real good . Keep doing that
Old 07-26-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job Lucie
Old 07-26-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I believe there are two ways you can view missing out, one is from the viewpoint of your drinking buddies. In that respect, you are not missing out on much. Definately not missing out on anything you probably haven't already experienced. Its the same program it always has been and always will be. The other viewpoint of missing out, is the serenity that a sober life will provide. I am very early in this, but I believe its out there. That's what we are missing out on...peace and serenity. Good luck to you.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It will definitely get easier Lucie - I went from feeling like I was missing out to feeling glad I wasn't destroying myself anymore.

There's a lot of things you can do which don;t need alcohol at all - it's all about building a sober life you love...it takes a little time tho.

Keep the faith
congrats on your week

D
Old 07-26-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to think I'd miss drinking but it turns out, drinking was making me miss living. Now that I'm sober, I wouldn't trade that for anything.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are all very right, and thank-you for the support. It helps a lot. I had a great day at work and helped many of my clients, and it felt rewarding. I couldn't have done it hungover. One day at a time
Old 07-26-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lucie, keep in mind you are in early days and you're doing great. There are a lot of changes to go through in early recovery and change is hard.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Thank God for this forum. I was freaking out for a while. Now at around 80 days sober.

8 May 2015 drank about a 750 ml Whisky in about 6 hours. I ate a lot so the booze went through me slow. Hadn't drank for about 2 weeks before that. That's when I knew I could not control myself sometimes. Had to stop totally or risk my happy life.

I have learned so much from this site. Without it, I would likely still be drinking to make things get right.

I try to eat clean, work out, drink lots of water etc. Every day I feel stronger. I know it can take a while for my brain to get used to sobriety.

Feels good to know that we are not alone. Thanks for the guidance and information.

Hope I can help someone with my words, like others have helped me here.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, I feel the same way sometimes. That "missing out feeling" does suck. Weekends are tough for me too so I feel you on that note.

But, for me, I'm also avoiding embarrassment, bad decisions, arguments, memory loss, hangovers, getting sick and decent sleep.

When I keep that in mind it doesn't bother me so much.

Good luck to you
Old 07-26-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

"Comparison is the thief of joy." I like that, and it's one I would do well to remember. I know what you mean about the feeling of solemnity that comes with the sense of missing out. We used to have fun when we were children without alcohol....what went wrong? Just a very bad habit, I guess, and many other factors. For many years I hoped that one day I might feel proud of myself for giving up binge-drinking. Corny and hackneyed as it may sound, I'm starting to appreciate the value in feeling good about myself, warts and all. Embracing the whole of me strengthens my resolve not to drink, rather than weakens it. It's like the sun is just peeping out from behind the clouds. I'm not sure if I have read your post correctly here, but thought I would add my two cents anyway. Best wishes :-)
Old 07-26-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great job Lucie! I too made it through the weekend and it was difficult at times. But I am SO glad I made it! I had a great weekend and don't miss the hell of active alcoholism at all!!! Congrats on 1 week! That's awesome!!!
Old 07-26-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Originally Posted by Lucie29 View Post
It always seems like everyone around me is happy on the weekends, having beers in the sun enjoying life. I had a nice day, went out to lunch and to two different unique beaches, but just felt solemn. I hope I can eventually get over this feeling of missing out, which is what always seems to get to me.
Hi Lucie,

I feel the EXACT same way you do. I live in a beach city too and I feel like everyone is enjoying the beautiful beach weather with drinks and 'livin' it up'!

But, the other posters are right--we're not missing out; we've been there, done that but it's still so tempting in our early days. This is the first weekend I haven't drank in a reeaaallyyy long time--it's hard, but we can do it!

Congrats on making it through the weekend!!
Old 07-26-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Congrats on making it through, Lucie!!! Keep up the good work
Old 07-26-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
under new management

Congratulations on 1 week, Lucie29!!! Fantastic making it through the weekend!

It is very early days but you have so much to look forward to! You just don't know it yet, but you will! You will slowly build a life around sobriety and at some point you will look around and wonder why you would want to blunt any of this wonderful new life with alcohol!

Your problems won't magically disappear but the previously unmanageable will become manageable. Your view will be clearer and the ground under your feet will begin to feel steady.

It took awhile to get to the point where it was apparent that alcohol was no longer an option, it will take awhile to get back.

Everyone here understands where you are
Old 07-26-2015, 08:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good job Lucie!
Old 07-27-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone, you have no idea how much your comments and thoughts help. It's comforting to know I am not alone in this. I hope you are all doing well this week!