Notices

Alcoholic or Binge Drinker?

Old 07-27-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by notgonnastoptry View Post
A few things. Firstly, I agree on many account with MF. I could not lead a productive life. I would describe myself as a cat who was going in and out of naps all day and was barely functioning at the end. During my not-so-heavy drinking phases, a few cups of wine would make cleaning enjoyable. I'd be slightly buzzed, get a few tasks done, and reward myself with more. Sometimes the buzz would wear off because I was intent on finishing a task.

As I neared the end of these days, with an epic trip to ER, followed by ICU, I wasn't really functions. I kept making excuses to take naps, and I would rejoice when night time came. It meant I could go to bed without all the raised eyebrows in the house, thinking, what is your problem? Why are you always just sitting there. I'd get up to go drink secretly.

Horrible existence. I was also buying the cheapest stuff available: Skol, McCormick, etc.

I "only" drank for 4 years hard core. And still, I had a lot of acute diagnoses when I landed in ER. My husband forced me there. I probably would have been dead if I didn't go because I spent 6 days there. It was no little matter that I could take care of at home, by myself.

I will say this, and that's why your thread caught my attention. I was pretty highly functioning when I had to be. In fact, I excelled at what I was doing. I was also not hitting the bottle when I had to be on point. The reason I ended up in the hospital was BECAUSE OF A BINGE. I don't mean to capitalize to be mean, but please be careful. Acidosis, one of many diagnoses, can only happen after binge drinking. I had other things wrong with me from drinking daily, but my body finally screamed "just stop it".

Be careful.
Thank you for posting this notgonnastoptry. It is posts like this one that rattle my cage. I was a textbook binge drinker, and what you wrote here could have very well been in my future. And it scares the heck out of me.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:37 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Whatever works for you is great and is my mantra - Thanks for sharing your insight.

Congratulations on 10 days of sobriety!!

Keep coming back
LMFAO

Let's not act dumb friend. You're intelligent enough to know where that statement is coming from

Maybe something to bring up with your sponsor or your higher power?
Old 07-29-2015, 02:49 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Originally Posted by blueberry2015 View Post
Only you can decide if you are an alcoholic or not. The fact you are questioning your alcohol consumption suggests you may have a problem with alcohol. The fact that you recognise you binge drink is good and there is a window for you to change this. There are many tips on line how to moderate your drinking when on nights out so that you drink less x If your binge drinking concerns you have a chat with your doctor x x Good luck x x x
On this sites orientation section is a book by the AA founder. I read part of it. It was a bit wordy. From the 1800's I think. There, or in that area, it said if you don't drink non-stop till you black out, all the time, you are not an alcoholic. I read it is alcohol dependency or problem.. That is what I have. Not physically now, but mentally.

That is why I hate booze now. I tried to moderate, but every time after a week or a month....boom....half a liter or more in a binge day. It would wreck me for a week.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
~sb

Binge Drinking is now in the DSM under the definition of Alcoholism.......

Are you ready and willing to stay stopped yet?

If you can't live life without alcohol.....there may be a problem......