Notices

Needing to boost my sobriety plan

Old 07-22-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Needing to boost my sobriety plan

I haven't really been following a plan, except that I haven't been around much alcohol and I am remembering how much I hate myself when I drink. I'm on here a bit (not as much as I should be), but I haven't posted much recently.

I consider myself having two dates of sobriety, one March 18 and the other June 25. I only drank the once on June 24, the night after my father's funeral. I knew what I was doing and did it anyway and it was bad, but I also didn't harbor any inclination to "return" to drinking. I was not dealing with my emotions properly, for sure. I had bottled up my feelings and kind of exploded with them and it's not good, so I have to own that, but I also don't think it totally flushes the three months I had prior to that. Am I rationalizing? Maybe.

Anyways, I've been fine, no inclination to drink. But I am seeing a friend this weekend and it crossed my mind, just for a second, that I could have a drink. I don't even know if I thought that per se, more I just had an image of us at a bar (plenty of memories of that with this friend) and it reminded me I need to work out a plan. Like a real one.

What will that plan consist of? I don't know. I need to focus back on my health. The last few weeks my dad was alive and the few weeks following his passing I was not being mindful of my eating, exercising, etc. I didn't get too down about it at the time, because, well, time was a huge factor and I think I spent it wisely. Now I need to get back on track fully, not the half-assed, eating a little healthy, but not working out thing I've been doing.

I definitely need to check on here more. I'm really not interested in AA for a number of reasons. When my life is a little less busy, I might consider going once in a while, but I'd prefer to find something I can do online. This site is good, but I guess I could check out some of the others recommended. Anyone have any they particularly like?

I also need to start working towards some personal goals. I've been concentrating a lot on 1. my emotional stability and 2. my mom. But she's doing ok (despite some really poorly time BS at her work, but it will be ok) and I need to make sure to focus on what I want to do. I'd really like to start thinking of starting a family in the next year or two and I want my sobriety, my health and my life more or less in order before I do that.

I guess I need to think a bit more concretely, which I know I said I'd do in the beginning of the month and haven't. But I've also politely declined drinks on many occasions and a number of people in my life seem to be adjusting to the "sober me".

All in all, except for some lingering depression about my dad (nothing abnormal and nothing debilitating, just the kind of sadness and irritability that I'm hoping is normal when you lose someone very close to you) I've been doing well. My husband and I nearly adopted a pet, although I decided about halfway through the process that it wasn't the right time and it would be more stress right now than is fair to anyone. It was a hard decision, because I really want a pet and I'm sure I really just want to fill a void right now, but I know it was right. So I'm sad about that, too, but a more hopeful kind of sad, like at least I'm thinking logically most of the time.

So I guess I just kind of rambled, but it's been a while since I checked in. Thanks for listening.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No harm in getting a few more tools in the Sobriety toolbox KeepTruckin!!

It's very positive to be thinking on what we can add to our plans, you never know when we're gonna need more support or resources to tackle life without alcohol!!

Great post!!
Old 07-22-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you looked at this thread KOT?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

great ideas there
D
Old 07-25-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello KeepTruckin,

A suggestion that has done well by me ...

Do a Web Search for Recovery Speaker Messages.

I especially like 'Joe and Charlie Big Book Study' & 'Melbourne Steps Weekend - Recordings'.

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE
Old 07-25-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's always good to focus on your health, in recovery. I'm working on removing most processed foods from my life and cooking from scratch. It 'feels' good to do this, so I know the benefits are not just for my physical health but for my mental health as well.

I hope you continue to read and post.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi keeptruckin, sorry about your dad. You're right, one evenings drink doesn't undo the three previous months sobriety, it is something you don't want to repeat though

I would just recommend spending time doing whatever it is that you really enjoy doing - it doesn't matter what it is but I think it is a good idea to pursue one activity or interest just to occupy your mind
Old 07-25-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good afternoon Truckin...
Thanks for the thoughtful post about your life and challenges. You seem to be doing really well.
I don't have much to add beyond what is mentioned above but I second RDB on the on-line speakers. I have spent some time surfing YouTube videos and have gotten quite a bit out of it.
I second also everyone, including you, who mentioned diet. My healthiest mental days during these early days of sobriety have coincided with days that I have begun with exercise and eaten like a pro. I have had to schedule healthy lunch times because I am very busy at work and tend to forget lunch. No healthy lunch invariably leads to thoughts of drinking late in the day.... like clockwork.
Best wishes
Jonathan
Old 07-25-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Regular posting will really help KT & having a recovery plan is vital imo