Notices

Scared and Excited

Old 07-24-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared and Excited

After getting more concerned with changes in my health, trying to taper off of alcohol, and failing every time I had withdrawal symptoms, I went to my doctor today and made a plan to get sober. I'm incredibly nervous (and somewhat scared) of what the next few days will bring, but I'm glad I took the step. I've been given medicine (Ativan, Zofran, and a beta blocker) to help me get through it. Has anyone had success with this combination?
Old 07-24-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

There's rules we have to go by in here & we can't give medical advice . I'm fairly new so not sure what we can say . Maybe someone will come in to help you with that .
Wanted to tell you . That's great that your getting help to stop alcohol , before anymore happens with your Heath
Old 07-24-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks! I didn't mean for it to sound like medical advice...just trying to figure out if anyone had a good/bad experience...this is all very new to me.

I'm hopeful. The last 2 days have been rough. I realized I couldn't do it on my own today and made myself go to the doctor.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by catrina18 View Post
just trying to figure out if anyone had a good/bad experience...this is all very new to me.
Whatever you experience while trying to quit is better than continuing to drink. Glad you sought out a doctor. If you have questions about what was prescribed, speak to him or her.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.
Success stopping drinking is by NOT having 1 drink for a day then repeating it each day. If you’re an alcoholic like I am we are allergic to alcohol and even one triggers out our addiction for more and more.
Keep reading posts on this site for ideas on what to do when you’re feeling uncomfortable or the urge is strong. KEEP COMING.

BE WELL
Old 07-24-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

That's ok no harm done You will get a lot of help and support here . It's a wonderful place !
You did the right thing by reaching out for help , some wait too long ..... (like me) Now that you got meds it should be much easier for you too , plus under Dr's care is the best way .
Old 07-24-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, catrina18. I highly suggest joining and actively participating in the Class of July 2015 thread found on this same board. It's a great way to learn from and help others in early recovery.

Congrats on making a decision to lead a better life and also on going to the doctor. So many who come in here are afraid to take that step. You're on the right track. Remember you don't have to take that first drink today no matter what, and as long as you don't take the first, then you can't take the second or third or tenth drink that will almost always follow.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello Catrina,

Welcome! I think the best decision you have made was to sign up here at SR.

Post often - there will always be someone on hand to offer understanding and support. We are a team and we are here for each other.

Sounds like you have a good and sensible plan. I wish you well.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you are ready to stop drinking.

It's good that you talked to your dr.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Catrina! You'll love SR. Jump in on the July class also. I haven't heard of that drug combo before. Please keep us posted on the effects. My doctor just tells me to cut back or quit. Never offers drugs or anything. As my husband says, our doctors plays the odds. We are not quite old enough for problems. He told my husband that if someone tells him they drink a six pack, he doubles it. I know I need to find a new doctor. Someone who cares. Sounds like you have a caring doctor anyway. That's great.
I was always concerned about work finding out. I don't think they do unless you went away for inpatient treatment maybe. And then they can't really discuss it but probably do. Who knows!

Good luck and hop on the July train!

Olivia
Old 07-24-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Ativan is often given to quell the withdrawal anxiety. I've had it before and it helped me. I'd ask the doctor for more information if you need it. Welcome to the family!
Old 07-24-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Catrina!!
Old 07-24-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That should be a good combo, I would think. I'm personally on campral to help with the withdrawal symptoms. And this is the longest I've gone sober in my entire life (well, at least since I started drinking). Stick with it, you can do this.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & welcome Catrina youl find tons of support here
Old 07-24-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience to share with those meds, but welcome to SR Catrina

D
Old 07-25-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

One Day Down...

Actually slept through the night and woke up without nausea for the first time in days. Got up, went out and picked up breakfast, ran errands, walked the dogs...ate a little, and then was hit with just waves of wanting to cry. It didn't help that E.T. was on, but still...my throat just gets tight and I want to have a drink so I don't cry. I can do this...I can do this...
Old 07-25-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
learning to live

Originally Posted by catrina18 View Post
Actually slept through the night and woke up without nausea for the first time in days. Got up, went out and picked up breakfast, ran errands, walked the dogs...ate a little, and then was hit with just waves of wanting to cry. It didn't help that E.T. was on, but still...my throat just gets tight and I want to have a drink so I don't cry. I can do this...I can do this...
You TOTALLY CAN DO THIS!!! You ARE doing this

Old 07-25-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Yes, you can do it!
When I want to cry, I just let myself cry and get it all out, although I still don't like crying in front of people. One reason I drank was so I wouldn't have to feel my feelings.

Last edited by Bird615; 07-25-2015 at 08:19 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-29-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Had a slip up...but...

...it's been 2 days now, I went back to my doc, and got a better med plan...fingers crossed! Today is a good day.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey Catrina, welcome to SR.