Notices

How to find Intensive Outpatient

Old 07-24-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

How to find Intensive Outpatient

I could really use a little augmenting to my program. I have done a little research but aren't able to figure out how to go about getting involved with an IOP.

Can I even go to something like this at 6 months sober ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi AO. I had good luck by finding a therapist who specialized in addictions, she helped guide me when selecting a treatment center. She had worked at a large national rehab. She also referred me to a prescribing psychiatrist who came from another rehab, which gave me another source to help make decisions.

My only caveat in this regard is that I did sense that there is a bit of quid pro quo that goes on in the industry, but she did help me navigate the sea of possibilities. And yes, I think that IOP programs are helpful regardless of how long you have been sober.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went to my pdoc who was affiliated with a fairly good-sized medical center. He knew the director of their addictions program who then convinced me to try IOP. An addictions counselor can do the same.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

I asked my Dr AO and went like that you might be able to ask your local hospital ?
Old 07-24-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have not participated in IOP myself but I know psychiatrists who specialize in addictions, they do these kinds of referrals and help patients find suitable programs. Yes addictions counselor can do similar.

You could perhaps also call a few treatment centers and ask how it works. I also often use my insurance's website to find all sorts of health care providers.

In general, I think it's never a bad idea to refresh our recovery resources and much better to do so as prevention than when things already become too hectic and difficult.