Notices

Things to watch for during a 30

Old 08-30-2004, 06:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things to watch for during a 30

Hi all. I first want to thank everyone for the wonderful input I got a little over a week ago when I first posted here. You guys are great.

I've been thinking and journaling and while I haven't been fully abstinent during this period I have been moderate, knowing we were heading away for a long weekend with old and dear friends and I thought initiating change would be more effective after that.

I know alot of folks here jump into a commitment to longterm abstinence (even if One Day at a Time) from the getgo, but I have also seen it suggested to Try 30 days and see. This idea appeals to me, because I usually have no trouble going one day or three, or drinking moderatley, but it's the usually that has me worried and wanting to commit.

So, my question is, when people say, try 30 days and see, see what? I mean what to be alert for, watch for, think about to decide if total abstinence is what I want.

Thanks in advance for any ideas. Looking forward to getting to know everyone better.

tru
Old 08-30-2004, 08:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Tru2me!

My sponsor tried this out on me....she said, "Stay sober for 30 days, and at day 30 look back on that month and see if you are happier than you were at day 1". I'm not actually sure what that is supposed to mean, but she said "Just try it. If at the end of 30 days you want to drink, then drink. But if you like how your life has changed, then try another 30 and see how you feel then". I've never actually made it to 30 days, but I'm working on it again =). I don't know if that helped, but just thought I'd throw out my 2 cents in cyber space for ya.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, S&T. It does help!
Old 08-31-2004, 07:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Headed in the right direction.

see if you feel better...
see if your head thinks more clearly...
see if you can do it.
Check for cravings along the way...
check for your reactions and coping during difficult or stressful times...can you do it without booze?
Be honest and ask yourself, are things better after 30 days?
Old 08-31-2004, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, CarrieSueBee.

And as for "See if you can do it." I've learned from you guys I don't have to say I Can't, I just have to humbly ask for help and try a new way.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2004, 03:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi and good to see you back!
Typically the 30 day's thing is pretty much as mentioned. It allows the fog to lift, see how you feel, see how you adjust to finding new avenues to fill your time, and get to ponder the thoughts if abstenance is for you. Though a good time, because your not drinking, you may find the cravings unbearable, and this is when a means of support comes in. Physically you may be tired more often, have difficulty sleeping have an incredible sweet tooth and encounter what we call "drunk dreams". It's all normal experiances in drying out. You may feel emotionally a mess, then you may be on a natural high. We all differ, but what I've mentioned is the more common experiances people face.

After 30 day's you'll know what to do. Usually, in AA you'll here 90 meetings in 90 day's. Some have the ability to do it, some, because of other things in life can't. It doesn't mean you'll fail. You do take it one day at a time. Keep close to your means of support, and begin to find things to keep you busy. It's suggested to avoid people, places and things where you may be tempted. Remember, it's all suggestions and you learn to adapt to what best fit's your needs. Good luck, and keep coming back!