Notices

One day down

Old 07-24-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One day down

Made it through an entire day. First time in six months I have not had one, it not two bottles, of wine at night. I think I slept for 15 minutes. Maybe 20!

Got a lovely text from my soon to be ex-sister in law criticizing me for my drinking problem that ruined our family. And I almost drank over that. But then I thought, no - I have spent enough time digging lately through my emotional baggage that while I accept the responsibility for my behavior and immensely regret it, I lived in a highly critical, verbally and emotionally and at times physically abusive house. I walked on eggshells.

I miss the good parts of my husband. I do not miss being scared or nervous or monitoring every word with the fear I might anger him. I guess that's not the way real families are.

I went through my old posts. I sound awful! So scared and guilty and filled with shame. And I went through my affidavit for my divorce and pulled out all my documented instances of being verbally abused, called bad names, shoved, had things thrown at me - It is funny how it impacted me. Still wish I had not allowed myself to lose control over my drinking.

But just seeing what my sister in law sent me - how my drinking had shamed him, how HE had been willing to work with me - somehow a foot through my door doesn't seem like much more than an attempt to scare the living crap out of me.

Two wrongs don't make even a half right. But it was nice to not drink. It was nice to think it isn't all me and that there is a point in a toxic relationship where there is more damage done than not.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

My phone has an option to block calls/texts from specific phone numbers. If your phone has the same, I'd suggest blocking your sister-in-law's number. If she's soon to be your ex, I don't know of any reason you need to be talking to her. Especially if she's sending triggering texts like that.

Congrats on making it through day one. I highly suggest joining and actively participating in the Class of July 2015 thread found on this same forum. It's a great way to learn from and help others who are also in early recovery.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It all starts with a Day 1!! Fantastic job Ckoures!!
Old 07-24-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on Day 1.

No need to allow toxic people into your life.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Amazing congratulations on making & getting through day 1
Old 07-24-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I believe toxic people have just made it so I want to drink toxic things. Thanks for all the support.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

great advice here ckoures - welcome back

D
Old 07-24-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow - to have gone through all that and to sound so level-headed. I have a 'thing' about people sending nasty texts, emails etc....it seems so cowardly to me, and quite frankly, low class (in the behavioural sense of the word) I agree - block her calls and texts if you can.
Glad you have joined the July class :-) I joined a week ago and am getting so much out of it.