Notices

Day Four - and a bit of struggle!

Old 07-23-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day Four - and a bit of struggle!

Ok I initially said I wasn't going to count Monday as Day 1 because I was hungover, but someone suggested to me that it should count anyway, as it was a day that I did not put alcohol into my body. So ok, that means I'm technically on Day 4!

As a binge drinker I generally didn't always drink every day, so my first three days alcohol free didn't affect me much...but that's also because I wasn't feeling well and I never want to drink if I'm not feeling well. But today is day 4, and I had to go to a work networking event where they were serving wine. Ok so this wasn't so bad...I thought about it a little but just had lemon water. What was interesting was that since I wasn't drinking it, I could SMELL the wine in people's glasses around me. I have never noticed this before, when I had my own glass.

So I didn't really care to not have that glass (that much), but now that I am home it has been somewhat of a struggle. I am feeling fine, and one habit I have is coming home from work, changing into comfy clothes, pouring a glass of wine or getting a beer, and sitting out on my back deck to talk on the phone and "unwind" with a beverage (and sometimes a cigarette too). I would have just sat outside with some juice or something, but it is raining. I guess on one hand it is good because I can't even do part of that habit, but now I am sitting here at the computer wondering what to do. I already talked on the phone for a few minutes and have no one else to call right now. Sooooo here I post. I'm drinking apple juice. Honestly the craving is not tooo bad, but I'm definitely thinking about it. I guess I will try to find something else to do to distract myself. Any suggestions?

Hope everyone is doing well today!
Old 07-23-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go on day 4 thats amazing for cravings or urges try this http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

Remember the craving wont last & it will pass you done excellent coming here to share that i commend you for that

Have you got a recovery plan ?
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 4 days

Not sure what time it is where you are CL1TO3 but for me going for a walk in mid evening always helped beat the cravings in the early days. It had the added benefit of making me a bit more tired come bedtime - useful as I had great trouble in getting a good night's sleep in early recovery.

Also just remind yourself that an urge to drink is just that, an urge. You don't actually need a drink

Hopefully someone will come along in a while and post a link to some techniques to overcome them

Good luck
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day 4 is fantastic!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 07-23-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Ha Psychic!
Old 07-23-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 4.. Thats really great!
I was a binge drinker as well, 1 to 2xs a week. So i remember at the beginning the easy days & when that hard day hit when i thought i should be drinking. Im still very new so hard days still hit. But im learning to cope with them.
Try to find something to do that will fill the time that you used to spend after work w/ a drink. Like anything, if you omit something it's a good idea to fill it with something else to occupy your mind..put your energy to something better. I have a ton of energy at all times so excersise & anything physical has been working for me.
Have a great evening & hope to see you posting with many good days ahead.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome catlaydee1to3

I avoided places where there were drinking and drinkers for a while - even if I resisted in public the affer-cravings were horrible.

You don't need to be a hermit - but it's good to put a little thought into what you do with your time.

Now that you're feeling ok again I really recommend you think about a recovery plan - getting sober is hard but staying sober is no walk in the park either...there are some great tips here on support, on dealing with cravings and on making a recovery plan

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

D
Old 07-23-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi All, Thanks for the replies and links! I will check them out. I don't have a specific recovery plan, I've been reading various things. I like the thought of the Alcoholic Voice not being me, I read that whole page and found it interesting. I also picked up a book called "Creative Recovery" that is supposed to use creativity to battle the addiction. I'm an artist so that really appeals to me. I just got it today though and it looks like a good bit of reading before any of the artsy exercises, so I am going to start reading that. Thanks again for all the support!

Just added my avatar pic btw, that pretty much sums up how I currently feel about facing life without alcohol. Hopefully someday I can change that picture to a happy kitty, not a scared kitty!