Notices

Supplements and vitamins

Old 07-23-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Supplements and vitamins

I have seen a few recommendations on what people take to help their body and mind recover but can't remember exactly what I saw in which thread.

I am aware that it is important to not over do supplements and to research safe amounts to take or interactions and if taking a lot to check with a Dr. I am going shopping tomorrow for some bits though and was curious what to consider picking up and what has helped others.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Ditzy

It's written in stone here that people must not give medical advice. I know that's not what you're asking for but supplements that some people take for themselves could possibly be harmful to you

If you are concerned perhaps you could get a blood test done which would show what (if any) supplements you need
Old 07-23-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by DitzyDandelion View Post
I have seen a few recommendations on what people take to help their body and mind recover...
I prescribe time, the great healer. And continued sobriety. A relapse can undo whatever healing/recovery that has taken place in a flash.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do talk to your dr about what vitamins and supplements would be helpful for you.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ditzy, I take a multi vitamin and also a B vitamin and supplement.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

I take vitamin D, B12 and 5htp. I can go without the 5htp but then on bad days i still take one. I do notice if i go without D for a while i start to get more depressed as well. I take B12 simply because i eat a vegan diet.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Vitamins are not as harmless as once thought. For example, it was believed that too much of any of the B vitamins can't do any harm. They're water-soluble and excess is flushed out through urine.

But... now they've found out that one of the B vitamins CAN cause problems if you take too much of them. I forgot which one but you can look it up.

Also, vitamin A is toxic in high doses.

My point is, be careful. And realize that science doesn't know everything about vitamins yet. There may be risks that are not known yet.

For example, some people take a lot of Omega 3 supplements. Now it's been linked to increased risk of prostate cancer.

That is not medical advice, just a word of caution.

The only person who can give you reliable advice is your doctor. I use a couple of supplements at the moment, started yesterday actually. And all of them I talked about with my doctor (a long time ago when I got interested in them). All except one aren't necessary btw, they just make me feel better. And according to my doctor, what I'm taking is safe.

So really, go see your doctor for this. People can get sick from supplements. And the first question is: do you need them to begin with? They can do a simple blood test to look for deficiencies.

Be careful and smart. Talk to your doc.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I take a multi vitamin for seniors. I told my doctor and it's on my list of meds I take daily.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have always by nature been wary of supplements anyway I can just feel I am tired and a little not quite all there yet. I generally prefer to get my nutrition from balancing my diet as I believe a lot of evidence shows they are absorbed better that way anyway.

Think I will stick to my diet route tho I do sometimes have the cod liver capsules as I know I don't eat enough fish. Not keen on it most days. I sometimes have emergency vit C for when I am under the weather as I can't afford my immune system to get too bogged down for other reasons but that's an occasional thing and only if I am too ill to head out for fruit.

I think press on and try and get myself motivated to exercise a bit more.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have always by nature been wary of supplements anyway I can just feel I am tired and a little not quite all there yet. I generally prefer to get my nutrition from balancing my diet as I believe a lot of evidence shows they are absorbed better that way anyway.

Think I will stick to my diet route tho I do sometimes have the cod liver capsules as I know I don't eat enough fish. Not keen on it most days. I sometimes have emergency vit C for when I am under the weather as I can't afford my immune system to get too bogged down for other reasons but that's an occasional thing and only if I am too ill to head out for fruit.

I think press on and try and get myself motivated to exercise a bit more.
You know, in recovery, you are going to feel bad. Everyone goes through that. I did, and still am even though it's getting better. It needs time, a healthy diet, enough exercise and one that I added for myself: keeping my brain active. I've started a course. Learning is one of the best ways to exercise the brain.

Instead of trying to boost through it with potentially harmful supplements, it's better to accept that it's just the way it is. Recovery is difficult for a while.

I did mention in a previous post that, after having consulted my doctor about it, I take some supplements that do make me feel better. But it's not night and day. They make me feel somewhat better. It's not a cure for anything, including the downs that come with recovery.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I never really thought I drank enough to need so much recovery time. Brain will be very busy soon enough as I have to dig back into my final Uni course and hopefully fit that around a job when I get one. This years study is going to be pretty heavy going so I will have a very serious amount of brain workout. I am reasonably fir physically considering I have not looked after myself as well as I could, just can't afford to go swimming at the moment which is a pain. Stuck with whatever I can do at the flat and I get bored fast. Nothing I can wear to head out jogging. Can't spend anything till I get out of some self inflicted debt.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I never really thought I drank enough to need so much recovery time. Brain will be very busy soon enough as I have to dig back into my final Uni course and hopefully fit that around a job when I get one. This years study is going to be pretty heavy going so I will have a very serious amount of brain workout. I am reasonably fir physically considering I have not looked after myself as well as I could, just can't afford to go swimming at the moment which is a pain. Stuck with whatever I can do at the flat and I get bored fast. Nothing I can wear to head out jogging. Can't spend anything till I get out of some self inflicted debt.
That's actually a good attitude, viewing your studies as a workout for your brain. Because it is.

Alcohol is more harmful than a lot of people are aware of. As you notice now, you didn't think the amount you drank would lead to this.

The safe maximum amount is 1 standard unit per 24 hours for women and 2 standard units per 24 hours for men. Above that, it becomes harmful. 1250 divided by the percentage of alcohol gives you the number of milliliters that make up one standard unit.

Which means that for women, it's 250 ml of beer (5%). That's less than one can. And for men it's less than two cans.

Regarding the exercise, I love walking. Costs nothing, no gear required. Just put on your shoes and enjoy being outside. Maybe something that fits your situation. Once you get used to it, it's quite enjoyable.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh I do walk a lot. For years my main workout has been walking with bags of shopping. The workout is considerably less now I am not stocking up the ex's beer supply (and my wine). I have always walked a lot. So I am slim and fairly toned would just like to get a bit more cardio going and perhaps tone a little more. Get things like my heart a little more healthy. I look like I work out tons but I don't just lucky genes.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When I first got sober I was very thin and in pretty bad shape. My GP told me to take a good multivitamin with iron. I went back after a month for a review appointment and she said "good, you are looking much better".

She also said that most people in Ireland could do with a vitamin D supplement, but I'm not sure if that applies to you
Old 07-23-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Not in Ireland but the welsh heritage means I have that celtic pale skin no matter how much I get out in the sun lol.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

PLEASE

Do not ask for or give medical advice. Some posts have been removed.

Amounts and types of vitamins and supplements should be discussed with a dr.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh I do walk a lot. For years my main workout has been walking with bags of shopping. The workout is considerably less now I am not stocking up the ex's beer supply (and my wine). I have always walked a lot. So I am slim and fairly toned would just like to get a bit more cardio going and perhaps tone a little more. Get things like my heart a little more healthy. I look like I work out tons but I don't just lucky genes.
There are exercises you can do at home that get your heart-rate up. Jumping jacks for example. Or just put on some really upbeat music and jump and dance around. I like doing that.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna. It started as innocent and not intending to be seeking medical advice. I think we have mostly steered it across to general healthy living and away from supplements now.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JerryFish View Post
There are exercises you can do at home that get your heart-rate up. Jumping jacks for example. Or just put on some really upbeat music and jump and dance around. I like doing that.
I do indeed do both of those. Especially the just dancing about. I don't think I could clean without dancing to be honest.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My prescription is, "Life taken with no alcohol daily."