Notices

Were your parents addicts too?

Old 07-23-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wastinglife, I remember telling myself for years that I was a 'functional alcoholic' because it wasn't really causing me any major problems, but that changed quick once I started to realize that family members were noticing and I wasn't able to hide at as well as I was in the beginning. It seemed like the more time that went by the more and more erratic I became with it
Old 07-23-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I come from a long line of alcoholics. Paternal grandparents both heavy drinkers. My Dad quit drinking when he was told to, but it was too late. Didn't make it through surgery when he was 78.

My Mom was an every night drinker (cocktails with the neighbors, etc.) I grew up thinking that was the norm. She quit drinking with my Dad and survived another 12 years sober until she passed late last year.

Sister a recovering alcoholic/crack addict. She's been clean and sober for 15 years.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Uncle was and cousin is, brother has had issues from drinking too much. Mum liked a tipple of an evening but never got out of control and Dad barely ever has a drink at all. Was not something I grew up seeing.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yep, and they still are. They say we very commonly pick up addictions from seeing others do them, such as our family. Throughout the years, we build that in our head that it's 'normal' and 'acceptable.' My father drinks at least 15 shots of liquor per day. And has for forty years. sigh.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
under new management

My parents didn't drink but both of them were addicts; my father was an epic, epic, epic hoarder (I could add more epics but on with my story), and my mother was addicted to chocolate, which sounds pretty benign, but for her, it was not. She exhibited all the classic addiction signs surrounding it, hiding it, feeling anxious if her supply was low, using it to cope, etc. And it caused her a lot of guilt and shame; she regularly tried to quit but repeatedly failed, which of course, caused her more guilt and shame.

My dad was completely immersed in his hoarding, probably starting from the time he was a young adult. It controlled his life absolutely and completely. He had no interest in changing his life or seeking help.

I had a Great Aunt who died from drinking many years ago.

Both my maternal and paternal sides are in a religion/cult that strictly prohibits drinking so I have wondered if that were not the case, would there be more known alcoholics in my family?

From what I am reading and from what I have experienced I do believe there is a genetic component to addiction.

It doesn't absolve me from being responsible in my choices to drink or not drink (I am choosing NOT) but neither did I carelessly or irresponsibly become an alcoholic while others around me were content to put down their drinks after one or two.

Everyone's stories here are both interesting and heartbreaking.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

No one ever talked about alcoholism or drank around me in my family - but I really don't know the real history. In fact I don't care anymore. I'm an alcoholic and it has been very clear to all my family members, so I can be the One they talk about. If it wasn't that, it would be something else!!! At least I'm sober now.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

no, however the grans from what I was told were hard alkies. They were dead long before I was breathing.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My dad was an alcoholic, and died an alcoholic a few years back . . .

But . . . my mum has been teetotal all her life, never touches a drop . . .

They only had 2 children, my sister is a normal drinker, no problems and yet I had a problem . . . there's not much of a pattern from what I can see as a result!!
Old 07-23-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Long line of alkies on both sides.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

My mother was, my father wasn't. My grandfather on my mother's side was, grandmother on hers wasn't. Don't know about my father's side.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

No my parents weren't, nor were my grandparents.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

None of my grandparents really drank. Mom problem drinker, dad never drinks a drop... Uncle on mom's side alcoholic.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

My parents are life long tee-totallers for religious reasons but oddly enough my mother claims she suspects she would be an alcoholic if she drank.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Both of my biological parents are alcoholics, I learned later in life. My parents have always been drinkers, particularly my dad ( more so in years past).
So, I guess neither nature nor nurture were helping me dodge that bullet. Not blaming anyone but myself for my choices- but, it does seem I was predisposed to drink alcoholicly if I ever got involved with drinking. I did both.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Alcoholism & Anxiety run deep through out my whole extended family . My parents , 3 grandparents , my parents great grandparents . Lots of my Aunts & Uncles , both sides . My only brother was bad till he was 30 . Was all mostly alcohol with most . Most never stopped or had to due to what it did .
I was like you at least growing up saying I will never be like my parents . Or act as bad as my brother .
Low & behold it grabbed me around age 45 - fast really I didn't see it coming . I could have a few drinks on weekend barbecue , parties what have you . Never even bought it to bring home . Not a single bottle unless it was left over from a an outing . Than it would sit in the fridge .
My kids grown up left home - Marriage fell apart divorced . I just got in with the single crowd , that liked to party . The more I partied the deeper I got . I'm sure I everyone know's the rest
You can get out stay strong & keep pushing

Last edited by NestWasEmpty; 07-23-2015 at 05:31 PM. Reason: changed the icon
Old 07-23-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

My grandfather owned a bar. He was a heavy drinker. Both my parents were heavy drinkers. ???alcoholics). Great grandfather died from alcohol poisoning. Wine at dinner for holidays was normal for us as children. Whiskey for colds. I grew up thinking alcohol consumptions was normal.

Honestly, I don't know any families without any alcoholics.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Interestingly, alcoholism skipped a generation in my family. Paternal grandfather (who died before I was born) was an alcoholic. His 4 children (including my father) rarely drank. Of their 12 children, each of the 4 families has 1 problem drinker (so me and 3 cousins).
Old 07-23-2015, 09:49 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Into the Void

My adoptive parents were never drunk in front of me, I have no idea about my biological parents. Wouldn't surprise me if they were pretty messed up. But as soon as I started drinking in high school, I know that was where I wanted to be. Then again, I came of age in a youth milieu where many kids behaved badly (NYC prep school in the '80s). In my case, my genes were pretty clearly f'ed. Not trying to avoid responsibility, though.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:32 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

no.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:37 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Neither of my parents are alcoholics. My mom has never tasted alcohol. If my dad ever drank, it was when he was young because I've never seen him drink. My grandfather was a very mean alcoholic and my mom never wanted anything to do with it.