Notices

Stay sober this weekend July 24!

Old 07-28-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

On ride home. Everyone out on the street, police cars everywhere. People selling flavored crushed ice. Sitting on folding chairs along the sidewalks and in vacant lots.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  

And I love the Graham Chapman plaque.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Cool scene, Ruby. Brings back memories of driving down Western Ave near Humboldt Park near my old haunts. Old school car dealerships with flags everywhere, car washes, and people out and about. I think you are cool, Ruby! Lots of cool people on this thread, in fact.

Behan, interesting observations on that funeral. Deep stuff. Funerals are always a time for reflection and death often causes one to examine one's current state in life. Sounds like yours is going well, sending more good vibes your way!

Car is still at el mecanico. Tomorrow I'll have to walk over and see how many arms and legs this fix is going to cost me. Not worried, I'm not rich but I understand that using an off-road style vehicle on the crazy terrain down here requires frequent upkeep. Had a presentation at work today for the new VP of sales and his team. I must say I rocked the house.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  

A Yin & Yang Post, here...

This Vid bit of Golden Retrievers absolutely just made my day. From a Gal Pal in Scotland... Several Pooches are perfect look-alikes to our Pooch. He carries around my Slip-Ons, and Pillows, with that same wagging Tail as if he owns the World. Not a care...

- Goldies Help With Groceries -

I read about Graham Chapman at length about the time I was sobering up. A real up/down tale of Alcohol. I've got a tie-in to one Python, but have to leave it at that for reasons of discretion.

A few fellow Pythons saw him plop a Liter of Vodka on top of his Clothes while packing a Case before boarding a Train up to a Scottish Castle for Filming. While looking for the Script in his Case, they noted mid-day, with alarm, that the Bottle was half-empty. They confronted Graham, and made him go Cold Turkey during Filming. You can see him shaking in some Scenes around a Rope Bridge where he's in a very bad way. He remained Sober after that. The Pub above is directly referenced in this Account; this is what made me think of this Alcohol Story.

This ~10 minute read is engrossing to me; having also quit Cold Turkey 'just because'. I couldn't afford to have Rehab on my 'Record' because it's the first question asked on a Concealed Carry Permit. I needed protection against my crazy, Drunk, p/t Neighbor w/5 DUIs more than I needed to drink. That situation has sort of faded to become a non-issue. He's back in Jail now, and rarely around.

- Graham Chapman Film & Interview ~ The Daily Mail.co.uk -
Old 07-28-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

"Summer in the City" - what a great song, Ruby. Thanks for the sink ideas - I'm waffling still.

Congrats on the presentation, BigS, and yay for the fixed car.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Same pic but I have been playing around with exposures on phone camera editing function. I think it's pretty cool. BigS, I took this around 63rd & Halsted. Tomorrow I'm hoping to take some "wesside" pics. I'm working on the west side this week. The Walgreen's had signs in Spanish and English and a giant section of Mexican candies.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Bimini, I don't know if you're looking for an under mount or drop in sink but I love my new sink. It's a Kohler white porcelain enameled iron. Heavy heavy heavy. Single bowl which I wanted to wash pans and bigger stuff.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

That ukulele chickie gets around. I saw her in my neighborhood today.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Bim ~

Bring the proverbial Mountain to Mohammed. Have your Plumber do most all the Job on a Workbench, or some Sawhorses, ahead of time. Faucet in and tightened. Water Line Flex Tubes already put on and tight. Waste Plumbing also done on the upside-down, uninstalled Sink. A new Disposal, or not. They twist on to a specialized Fitting, and can be left off until the last second for reasons of weight. However, the 2 Sink Drains can be connected and 'teed' in advance to one Waste connection; as can a Disposal on one side. Plumbing connections are all standardized size/types, and have been for Decades.

Lift out all the old schitte. Drop in the new pre-Assembled Sink. Tighten on Cold/Hot Water Flex Lines. Lightly wrench the teed Waste line to the Fittings that stub out from the rear Wall. Always use Shut Off Valves, if not there now. This Process nets a minimum amount of Work Time in tight quarters while swearing. Modular Installation. With a Sink from, say, 'Habitat For Humanity', you could save a bundle if that's a priority. Doing most all the work while standing up is a dream.

This Faucet below swivels laterally with a push, or an Elbow. The end pulls out a few Feet on macho Metal Flex Tubing for rinsing. The Sink is uber-deep, as is a second, dual-sided one in another Counter. I ran the Waste Plumbing off the Sink Waste fitting immediately straight back to the rear Wall using a 90. I put the U Trap back parallel to the rear Cabinet Wall before connecting to the Waste Line proper. Think about it. There's no reason the U Trap has to be right under the Sink Waste Fitting. This means there's all free, unencumbered space under all the Sinks. This allows for pull-out Baskets, or Storage.

I teed off a Dishwasher-type Rinse Head through hidden Flex Tubing, and popped it up flush by the Cooktop. You pull it up. Push the 'Trigger'. Fill a Pot with Water, or the Coffee Maker adjacent. I didn't want all that macho crap Chrome Plumbing above this gorgeous Granite. All that Chrome Plumbing stuff in 'Pro' Kitchens on HGTV reminds me of a Hospital Kitchen Sink. Too Industrial for moi...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Faucet Flow_1_edit.jpg (91.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 07-28-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  

LOL, and a bottle of Jamesons?

That's beautiful. Thanks! I don't know what I'm going to do. My current sink is brushed metal like that one - no dents or anything, just wear and tear. I really just wanted to take off the disposal and plumb without it. The trap is already offset, I'd have to figure out how to connect the drain to the trap.

Meh. I'll try the WD40 and tapping gently and see what happens. Maybe I can do this myself - or wash dishes in the bathroom for a couple days.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Behan....sorry for the loss of your friends mom. It's strange seeing old friends again. Hope you got to catch up with them.

Hope you sleep good tonight Ruby.

Congrats on nailing the presentation bigS!

On sinks....I've got a soapstone farmhouse sink that I love. You could wash a medium sized child in it comfortably. But sinks can be expensive now! Hard not to get sucked in when shopping. Love yours, Mesa. Love the fixture too.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Ahhhhh!!!! Washing dishes in the bathroom! Bimini, you brought back nightmares of kitchen redo. I washed dishes in the bathtub for months. I was never so grateful for something I used to take for granted which I'd running water in the kitchen.

Yes, I noticed that bottle in the background vof MM's pic. Could be olive oil. Or not
Old 07-28-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

What kind of alcoholic are you, Ruby?

Look at the reflection in the granite, yo.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

I lived in a one-room room in college. All I had was an electric skillet, a toaster oven, a crockpot, and a small bathroom sink. I got pretty creative. I lived on $100 a month for over two years. (1975) Luckily it was in Florida, where a cute blonde girl could find a lot of free food. I even had a car - and a dog. Seems impossible now.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

What kind? Wino-beer-aholic. I went through a brief scotch whiskey phase but really, in a pinch, anything would do:/

Saw a fascinating and empty vodka bottle at work today. They just still draw the eye
Old 07-28-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Damn!

Sharp Crowd, here! Went for the Quickie Pic Edit. Yah, that Pic is from ~8 years ago. I shoulda started a House Building Company and called it 'Hammered Construction'.

For a stuck Disposal, I use the top end of a Broom and jam it down in at an angle. On the Disposal bottom, it will 'catch' some of the hefty Steel Grinding 'Plates'. Push hard on the Broomstick to bust the tidbit of Bone, or whatever, that's stuck in the Disposal Sidewall. Once freed, the bottom will rotate again. Try this trick both Clockwise, and Counter-Clockwise, to free up a jammed Disposal. I was a Slumlord for ~20 years. Buy a new House. Keep and rent the prior House.

Disposals all have lil Pushbutton Circuit Breakers in the bottom Plate. Push up to reset, if req'd. Typically, 3 Screws push the Disposal down and away from the Sink Waste Trap Fitting. Loosen all connections, and unscrew these Screws. Rotate the Disposal sideways and down to drop it. Some don't even require this rotation move. They heavy MoFos. Redoing the Sink Waste Fitting is all on YouTube, I'm sure. Stuff it closed with a Towel temporarily to buy yourself time, and figger out the new Fittings req'd. With all the old Guano dropped, and out of the way, it's easier to envision what you need.

Yah, Da Wife went out to the U.P. Marquette Michigan Bars with a Quarter. Drank all night for free.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

It's rusted onto the flange, MM - and leaking.

And, one of the grinder teeth broke off last year. That's when I stopped using it.

Or are you just giving a general how-to?
Old 07-28-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Just general info. My Training Career nature, in order to mebbe help some others. Yah, I caught the rusted-on detail. There is some 'Gel' you can smear on rusted Fittings to free them, but I haven't used it. Free info is worth every Penny, eh?-)

Sitting outside, surfing for Trailer Campsites this Weekend. Life be good.

- 'Rust Never Sleeps' ~ Neil Young
Old 07-28-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Sitting outside too MM but it's quieter than in the house with loud window unit air conditioning. That summer in the city describes perfectly the weather. Humid. Temp hasn't dropped much since dark.

Cool halo of haze around the moon but I can't capture that with the phone camera. Peeking through the tree.

Bim, I have no disposal in my sink. Never had one so wouldn't miss it.

Anyone have any suggestions for mint? I've got tons.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Mint. Mockjitos?

I've been thinking about non-alcoholic mojitos recently but I'm not sure I want to do that whole ritual, sit and drink thing. I used to love a mojito in the summer. Who am I kidding? I would love my way through a bottle of rum with sugar and lime and mint and ice in the blender.

They call me. Precious. Which is why I'd better not answer.

Think we can roll this thread before bed? Well, I'm logging out - so good night and good luck.