Old 07-27-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Ahem...

Roses are red
And, Skies are quite clear
If Sober or not
You'd best check in here

Burma Shave

A fine Sunrise out here on the Porch. Hummingbirds zooming by. Da Pooch is out here chillin' with us. Just another day Sober in Retirement_Ville. Surfing on Google Earth to Recon our next Camping Spot in the new Trailer...

Our decidedly First World 'problem' today was to find that a large, Glass Shade to an Antique Floor Lamp got broken in Moving. A reminder of how transient 'things' are...

I found and built-in some ~1920s cut Crystal Sidelights recycled from an old Mansion to flesh out our Deco Front Door design. We'll head back down to this same Antique Store and nab something interesting as a Lampshade replacement.

- 'Nothing Is Easy' ~ Jethro Tull ~ Live 1970 -
Old 07-27-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Good morning!
Old 07-27-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

The choice

Yo yo yo yo people!! I had my eye on you over the weekend

I spent two days at the beach with a friend and his four year old daughter. The last time I stayed with them we chose to consume a lot of alcohol (not the daughter ) and as my hangover was what I can only describe as "a state to shock" there was no beach. The saltwater came from the tears of his daughter.....

this time I chose not to consume: no tears all around! The saltwater came from the sea....

Saturday night after dinner.....four men at a cafe bar. 3 of them order gin coctails.....I asked: I want something sexy without alcohol. Do you like Strawberries? Sure!!! I chose my drink in accordance with my desires...

Zero desire......although I'll expect 'doubt' to come along sometime. Already the 'forever' question passed through my mind....but it was dealt with. My desire to achieve my goals is tipping the balance 100%. It's my choice.

The "question" did come up a couple of times. My friend at the beach "so have you stopped drinking completely?" Me "yep". (as I drank water at dinner with a bunch of people the night before...incidently they drank VERY light, .....except one who was putting away a beer after beer.......he was the only one who asked "you don't drink?" Me: "nope")
Old 07-27-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Good morning,afternoon,evening all.

Feels good to wake up after the weekend with no worries about what happened or who you offended during your drunken antics.

Just a normal ole Monday...
Old 07-27-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Good morning,afternoon,evening all.

Feels good to wake up after the weekend with no worries about what happened or who you offended during your drunken antics.

Just a normal ole Monday...
Yes! and don't forget, you owe it all to your doorknob
Old 07-27-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Good morning Sober Enders!!

Today is my random off day, so it is still a little bit of the weekend for me!
Got my exercise in this morning and working on my second cup of coffee. I am determined to make today more productive than yesterday.

Weather is still perfect, but apparently the heat is coming back soon. I shall enjoy it while I can.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Good luck at the antique store MM. Always interesting to see what they have available.

Going to be a long day.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Olive, I have random days on myself. Retirement is good if one has the means to actually relax and enjoy it without feeling guilty about having no money to spend yet spending it anyway.
The wife gets very irritable about my not "getting" a job. Every time she comes home from work miserable she yells at me "GET A JOB!"

Well, if I didn't have to focus 100% on supporting YOU through school and all that jazz I would have sold this house and found a job somewhere - maybe?
I read in The Economist today in the obits about Burt Shavitz dying at 80. Unfortunately for my wife, I could very well choose the same path as Burt did years ago. Though I don't have the capital to just quit society and make my little sanctuary, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
And having read the whole story behind the Burt's Bees 'thing' a few years ago, I boycott anything to do with that company, as best I can. When conglomerates own a piece of almost everything, it's tough to not unknowingly spend a few bucks to them.

So now she is finished with her first phase of school. Her part time measly job does not even actually contribute to the bills or sustenance of the Brain household. My pittance of a retirement check is not enough to cover the basic expenses of living as we do. I'm still blackballed in my 'industry'.
My "savings" are depleting steadily as I am using that to continue to buy continuity of the 'quality of life' we sort of enjoyed. She bitches about us being 'poor' all the time. And all I think about right now is purchasing a new songbook and going fishing.
For some reason, the upsetting of the cart that occurred which caused me to stop drinking and reassess my life had a profound effect on me. I am more content now than I have ever been in my life.

I have no desire to drink even when the high anxiety stressors of life are tossed my way. I smile and thank my lucky stars that I am who I am.

I suppose letting go and letting the doorknob has its advantages.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

What is the doorknob of which you speak?
Old 07-27-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

I quite enjoy these days off!
Although, the four tens in-between, including commute, use up all of the waking hours of the day, leaving no time for anything else.
There must be a happy medium out there. Three eight hour days? Perhaps?

The 'doorknob', MLD, is used by some of us, who have no specific religious affiliations, as their higher power. At least, that is what I have heard.
My higher power happens to be a rock.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Mld...I think it's his reference to a higher power. (Brain, Forgive me if I'm way off on that).
Old 07-27-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  
...holds the key

We posted at the same time, olive! Ha!

I vote for the three 8 hour days!

Mesa....antique stores are my downfall.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

I hope your Dad is okay Ruby. He's in my prayers.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Evening all,

Happy 75th birthday to Bugs Bunny

Mesa if you liked your old lamp you can usually find somewhere to replace the glass.

I have two nice ones I bought off my sister when they refurbished their resteraunt. They look their best when it is cold and dark outside
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20150727_173451.jpg (32.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 07-27-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Made it through another weekend sober. That's a dozen in a row. Thanks to each and every one of you for keeping me sober!

EDIT: Post #2,000! Glad I spent it here on the weekender thread!
Old 07-27-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I spoke with the boss - he says I can keep the car there for nothing if I clear out some of the junk that has accumulated in the covered part of the depot

I forgot to mention - I hope you are feeling better today Tetra

Incidentally the weather here is just cr*p as is the forecast for the next couple of days. I want summer!
Old 07-27-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hi Casey! Congrats on your sober time!

Sao....lovely fixture! I have three Tiffany (knockoff) lamps and they look so warm and cozy when it's dark outside. Glad you worked out the car situation.
Btw...I'll trade weather with you for a week if you like! 100+ And sunny forecasted the rest of the week.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'd take that in a heartbeat right now Brynn.

100+ is no fun after a while I guess