Notices

Stay sober this weekend July 24!

Old 07-25-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

No news from me. Oh! The chickadees keep trying to eat from the hummingbird feeder. I can hear the hummingbird in the tree "tut-tutting" them, but no actual challenge to them. They're so BIG!! Or maybe the hummingbird is laughing at them.

um, what else? It's perfect weather for Olive. I'm sure she's happy.

Tetra cracked me up - especially that race photo of the rolling wheel fake horses.

I'm off for a shower and a walk and then I'll do the morning dishes. I can't be bothered right now.

Lots of internet connectivity issues on my end. I can't even check my bank balance so I'll just keep using my debit card and hope for the best. That should work, right?

LB -You need some yoga or something? FerPeteSake, breathe Brotha.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Ok huge Mennonite store was amazing!!!! Way overwhelming. I bought too much. I hardly ever eat so not sure what possessed me. Bimini thanks for the reminder I should probably look at my checking account!
Old 07-25-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Oh, is the Mennonite store for food?

IN.

I just looked for Mennonite cheese images. I found a site called "Mennonite girls can cook."

Old 07-25-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

They have food,crafts,furniture,flowers,quilts and a gift shop. Kinda like a Sam's Club ala Mennonite.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  
saoutchik

For some reason I assumed the Mennonite store sold wood furniture.

Went to visit oldest daughter today, baby due end of the month and she is still planning to go into work next week so your wife is not the only 'pregnant and working' woman out there Behan for sure.

Early Saturday evening and all the roads are still chock a block. Incidentally for July it's pretty chilly, If I was staying outside for any length of time I would need a sweatshirt
Old 07-25-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  
...holds the key

What'd you buy Della?

Hi sol!

At the estate sale I bought a beautiful porcelain tray. Figure I can use it on my dresser for perfume bottles. There was a gorgeous mahogany wardrobe but I didn't want to pay what they were asking. I put in my offer and the lady said if it hadn't sold by the end of the day she'll take it. I'm not a brass person, but there were all sorts of neat brass fireplace accessories and brass candlesticks. I restrained myself though. Didn't go to the rummage sale. Too hot.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Aren't there Mennonites on that Amish Mafia show? That show creeps me out.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

There is a show called Amish Mafia? Is it like the sopranos?

We have a roaring fire here. Very cosy. Watching Wayward Pines.

B
Old 07-25-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

No those are Amish. We have both around here. The Amish use the horse and buggy.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

just an FYI: That Amish Mafia show is a total fabrication. It's as true as the stories on Supernatural - even less so maybe. And all of the TLC/Discovery Channel productions surrounding Amish culture and society are a complete farce.

Now, that being said, I am surrounded by Mennonite peoples of different degrees. Yes, the black bumper types. I rarely drive toward Kutztown and not see people riding bicycles down the road. In the other direction toward Lancaster, there is a Mennonite "superstore" for clothes, garden supplies and such along with a food market. Great stuff at reasonable prices and just about everyone working there wears a bonnet or straw hat.
The Amish on the other hand are still very much stay out of modern society. It is only because of state laws you will see some 'buggies' with a battery operated light. Just a blinking "hey I'm here" light.

They do travel by bus or train to Philly to operate in the markets. And as a matter of necessity there are some who actually do use a phone or cell phone. But it is the exception rather than the rule.

The true Amish are for real. And they couldn't care less about what we "English" think. And that movie with Harrison Ford? Another literary masterpiece of total make it up as you go about the Amish.
There ain't an Amish gal that hot nowhere.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Ummm I kinda thought it went without saying it was fabrication
Old 07-25-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Had an unsuccessful lunch. By that I mean - tried the New Mexican place in the next town over. Awful. I'll stick with the one we have here - much better and lots closer. I consoled myself with a frozen custard turtle sundae at Culver's next door to the Mexican place. So not a total loss. Now a nap and then another AA meeting later this evening (went to one this morning). We have speaker meetings on Saturday nights and the speaker tonight is a gal I know pretty well. Should be good. Hope everyone's Saturday is going well.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

um, Dear Della, because it is on the learning channel or discovery channel, it is 'indicated' to be real. And because of it being on those channels, many people believe it to be true. After all, it is on the learning channel. Don't sell many people short on their naivety or stupidity.

Last edited by LBrain; 07-25-2015 at 01:31 PM. Reason: removed comment about idiots voting for Hillary
Old 07-25-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
There ain't an Amish gal that hot nowhere.
That's too funny LBrain!
Old 07-25-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Point taken
Old 07-25-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

rut ro rorge... I thought I edited my last post to remove any disparaging words and now it's too late to edit again...

oh well, I just hope I'm not having a stroke or anything. My nurse is concerned about my widening pulse pressure and the severe headache I am experiencing... maybe why I am so angry this afternoon...

I am not in the triad range of emergency.... who knows what brought this on... too much ice cream maybe...
Old 07-25-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
It's perfect weather for Olive. I'm sure she's happy.
Oh yes. It is so perfect. There was rain this morning! Actual rain. I am indeed happy.

Mini tune up on the car this morning. While I was waiting I walked to the licensing department and got my drivers license renewed. Man said, 'going for the grumpy look?' as he was snapping my picture. No, pesky braces on the teeth make smiling awkward. He said to come back when they come off and get a new picture. Maybe I will.

Going to the art store...kind of a dangerous proposition. Then a stop at the grocery and then home for the remainder of the weekend.

Hope everyone is doing fine!!!
Old 07-25-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Watching a rather ho-hum Xfinity race from the Brickyard. Ever since the tire fiasco during the Cup race several years back, I've had a hard time getting excited about stocks at Indianapolis.

Oh well. I'm an open wheel fan first and foremost anyway.

"Always Believe!" -The Ultimate Warrior
Old 07-25-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Brynn - the trees are never done. They continue to grow! If I could shape them and they would stay that way I might be finished one day!

MLD51 - I spent most of today working on my application to become a registered investment advisor. I can point you to some resources if you're interested.

Glad to see the thread is hopping!
Old 07-25-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Back from the local swimming pool. Not closed due to barf this week. Everyone behaved themselves.

Son wants hamburgers with bacon on them. Must have been channeling this thread. Suppose I could heat the house a bit for dinner. I'll have to, actually.

Brain, over $20 for a clothes hamper would be too fancy for me. I bought two soft sided collapsible hampers for the kids which stand about three feet high and hold tons. I use them as laundry baskets because kids use floor as their hampers. Breathe, breathe, breathe.

Amish mafia? No thanks. But I wish I'd gone to Della's Mennonite super store. Mmm. Cheese.