Notices

I'm back..I hit bottom

Old 07-21-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back..I hit bottom

Carol here..I had a couple months a while back but made no changes in my life. Stress over something got the best of me and I started up again. It all came to a head and I broke down. It's been a week(July 15) and the mental and emotional and physical is like hell breaking loose. The stress and anxiety. I'm 66 and this is hard on me. I was able to get to an AA meeting and have the Big Book and have started the steps. Official sponsor none yet. No desire to drink. I live alone. I'm keeping close to SR for my life line. I'm open to PM's. Thanks for being here.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oldsoul1122 View Post
Carol here..I had a couple months a while back but made no changes in my life. Stress over something got the best of me and I started up again. It all came to a head and I broke down. It's been a week(July 15) and the mental and emotional and physical is like hell breaking loose. The stress and anxiety. I'm 66 and this is hard on me. I was able to get to an AA meeting and have the Big Book and have started the steps. Official sponsor none yet. No desire to drink. I live alone. I'm keeping close to SR for my life line. I'm open to PM's. Thanks for being here.
Hey Carol, I'm sorry your having such a hard time but I know what you're going through, although I don't live alone. Hang in there and I hope the meetings go well for you.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Carol

why not check out the Class of July support thread?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-18.html

D
Old 07-21-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, Carol. Welcome back. I guess I'm an old soul, too, as I'm over 60. Sometimes I am angry with myself for just now Seeing the sober light. At other times, I am so grateful. You can do it, Carol.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad you're here, Carol. You found your way back to sobriety - be proud. The anxiety and misery will fade. I wasted many years trying to manage my drinking - it's so good to be free. We can do this.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

good to see you, Carol.
and good to hear you already know now that you'll need to make changes in other areas, too.
it's useful knowledge to have.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Welcome Carol
Old 07-21-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Whatever stress I have now that I've stopped is far easier to deal with than when I was drinking.

I hope you will read around the different areas of this forum and find ideas to help you deal with stressful situations. You don't have to drink at them!
Old 07-21-2015, 09:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back carol....us old souls can do this! I'm so glad that you decided to come back.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome back, Carol. Like Dee, I highly suggest joining and actively participating in the Class of July thread here on this same forum. It's a great way to learn from and help others who are also in early recovery.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back Carol! Glad you are here again. Lots of support here!
Old 07-21-2015, 09:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Carol, I'm glad you're here. For so many years I drank at the stress in my life until I finally decided that much of it was made far worse by drinking. A combination of SR and AA have really helped me stay focused on what's important. I had to make a lot of changes besides just putting down the alcohol. You can do it too!
Old 07-21-2015, 09:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome back.

There's no massive rush to get a sponsor, but when you do get one they will guide you through the steps (including the ones you have done alone - to ensure you've got everything out of them that you can). If you're keen to get on with the steps you can always ask someone to be your temporary sponsor, while you get to know people well enough to know who'd be a good match for you on a more permanent basis.

It was only after a year (when I moved to a different area) that I started attending a 12 steps and 12 traditions meeting, and a Big Book meeting (My home group is a speaker meeting). You sound eager to explore the BB and the Steps so maybe it'd be helpful to you to go to those kinds of meeting if there are any near you.

The 12 and 12 book, along with Living Sober were really helpful to me and my understanding of the BB and the Steps.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome back Carol!!
Old 07-22-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk Carol
Old 07-22-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Carol. I could have written that post myself. I also live alone and I know how hard it can be. Hang in there!