Notices

AA...not sure how it all works.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

As mentioned theirs a wealth of info out there, but don't stress, any recovery method is going to be a learning experience, no one's going to kick you out for not knowing how things work!!
Old 07-23-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Sorry I missed the start of your thread - glad you posted and friends shared knowledge about AA!

The AA pamphlets are helpful indeed covering a wide range of topics. Along with the Big Book perhaps you're aware of it's companion book written afterwards / the twelve steps and twelve traditions - referred to as the 12 and 12.

It is a how to in step work and the traditions. Very helpful

I listen to some great speakers on youtube / there are many to be found doing an AA speaker search. One fave is a Earl Hightower. In one of his talks he speaks of this ;

At rehab a gruff nurse said to him / if I could give you the gift of recovery I would not! He thought she was being very rude.

She explained - I would never cheat you out of the journey/experience.......

Enjoy your journey and discovering a peace like none other, friend
Old 07-23-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks Flynbuy
I'm looking forward to the journey.... Somewhat��
I'll do some YouTube searches.
I've gotten a lot out of suggestions by others to date. What a gift you all are.
Take care
Jonathan
Old 07-24-2015, 02:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

For what its worth i think your asking all the right questions
Old 07-24-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I don't really belive there is a timeline for getting a sponsor, but I have seen people ask for numbers at there first meeting. That might be the way to go for you. John
Old 07-24-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Zufrieden View Post
Thanks Flynbuy
I'm looking forward to the journey.... Somewhat��
I'll do some YouTube searches.
I've gotten a lot out of suggestions by others to date. What a gift you all are.
Take care
Jonathan
Yea, I think the "looking forward" part is perhaps recognized in hindsight. No one says - gee I bet getting sober will be a lot of fun.

But as we stack a little time and bear witness to things changing in our lives, it's a remarkable experience unlike any other I have been through.

It is a rejuvenation of body, mind and spirit!
Glad you're here with us
Old 07-24-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Found this in a doc. I have on the 'pink cloud' phenom.

"...If it wasn't for the warnings, I might've picked up a drink out of frustration, fear, or to get back that high anyway I could. I know, it sounds crazy, drinking to keep a sober high but that's the depth of my insanity with the disease.

Like AZbill said, enjoy the highs, but accept them for what they are and if we're lucky, one day we can just enjoy being in the middle. " (Robt. H. - 2003) (ital. mine)

I didn't remember this observation and am glad to have found it again. It's the questions of newbies and shares of others that 'keep me green'; I have a 'forgetter' that never sleeps.

From where I sit today, I think he nailed the subconscious 'mental twist' that comes on the fringe of a 'shrinking pink cloud'.

Hope you are trudging along in sobriety. I heeded the suggestion to resist the urge to skip or run. I still trudge today...grateful for all the lovely, healing scenery I would have missed doing it any other way.

One day at a time, one concept at a time. Don't drink, no matter what. There's always More in this amazing way of life, if I don't pick up.

PJ