Notices

Daddy's Girl

Old 07-21-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Daddy's Girl

As the oldest and only female in my family, I was always, and even till now, a daddy's girl.

I remember so vividly the smell of my father's work shirts. He used to cuddle with me right when he got home from work, on an old recliner we had in the living room. He drove trucks, so I have always been fond of the smell of gasoline and smoke.

My father was no stranger to playing and having fun. He seldom told me he loved me, but it was never necessary because I never really doubted it.

I remember the first time I noticed an argument between my parents. My mother was crying... I could hear her sobs... so distant... I was in my bed pretending to be asleep, but secretly waiting for my dad to come home. He was late... but I didn't worry because I knew it was normal for him to come home late at times. My father yelled at my mother as she sobbed even harder... then silence fell. It was a long and almost calming silence. Then my bedroom door flew open. I heard my mother tell him to get out, but he closed the door behind him, ignoring her.

I closed my eyes tighter, and felt his heavy body fall on the bed. He put his arms around me, kissed my head, and said my name as if trying to make sure I was asleep. To this day I don't know why I didn't answer... I wasn't scared... I just didn't say a word.

I remember the smell of cigarettes and alcohol every time he exhaled as he slept close to me. I tried to free myself from his embrace just to get away from the smell... but every time he hugged me harder. I don't remember falling asleep.

In the morning I got up and heard the clanking of pans in the kitchen, smelled the glorious aroma of bacon and eggs (my favorite)! As I walked into the kitchen, there was my father having his cup of coffee... black, no sugar... He was reading the newspaper. My mother turned to me with a shaky smile, and moistened eyes filled with sadness.

- "Made your favorite, Gabby! Eggs and bacon!'

My father put down his newspaper and gently slapped his thigh, the usual way of telling me to sit on his lap... I went over and sat with him. My mother brought over breakfast, sat next to us and held out her hand. My father held it, and they looked at each other for a very long time... I didn't ask them anything. I just sat on my father's lap, eating breakfast, enjoying the heavenly bliss of ignorance... Not knowing what was about to happen, and how it would change our world... my world.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome Gsan nice to meet you youl find lots of support & helpful advice here its a great community here
Old 07-21-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Gabby, thanks for sharing. Are you here seeking help for an addiction issue of your own? We have several subforums for everything from substance abuse to friends and family of addicts.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

That sure is an indelible memory as demonstrated by how vividly you described it. Hoping you are well and/or here to start being well.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Gsan!!