Notices

Hello hello

Old 07-21-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello hello

Hello everyone. After some careless thinking the past few months, I've decided it's time for me to return and attempt sobriety again.

I recently had a scan of my gallbladder and it showed 19% ejection rate and the doc says it needs to be removed. Finally received a reason for my digestive problems and constant flank pain.

Problem is, even though doctors say you don't "need" the gallbladder, I have different thinking. It's a big part of digestion and God didn't just put in random parts, did he?

Trying a different method. Total lifestyle change, which will be very challenging and hard. No animal fats, can't eat this, need to eat that, so on and so forth. Also gradually quitting smoking.

Although I'm trying different methods, I still have an appt with the surgeon next week to discuss further and if it's absolutely necessary.

Any advise/or anyone that has experience in this area is welcomed (not asking for medical advice).

Day 2.

Also, I believe my hormones have been out of whack due to my gallbladder disease. But I guess I did this to myself :/
Old 07-21-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello, welcome back Jillian!

No real advice here, just saying hi.

I am sorry for what you are going through but I like your mentality of no one to blame but myself. Sounds like you are thinking straight.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

People do have them out, but then again people have their appendix, their spleen, their tonsils out, so I'm sure they're not basing their decision on something that isn't medical advice!!

I came across this pic a while back, not to make light of the situation, but it might give some comfort!!

Old 07-21-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome back, Jillian2563. Hope you'll make active participation here a big part of your overall recovery plan. Wishing you the best with your sobriety and other health issues...
Old 07-21-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk Jillian congrats on day 2
Old 07-21-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back Jillian!!
Old 07-21-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

There is a lot of conflicting info out there about the gallbladder, mostly all docs think the same and other holistic alternatives differing from what docs say....so really not sure who to trust.

I know it's going to be hard though. Changing my diet and not drinking?! Wow, that's a lot!

Luckily, my husband seems to be on board. He's even interested in the shakeology program in looking into. And I figure, if I quit buying beer and cigs, I'll have the money for the program.

I had a decent night last night, played some games with my son. Couldn't sleep a wink though because hubby was snoring, lol.

Having mixed feelings bc I love beer. I just wish I hated it! I mean, I guess I do hate it bc what it has done to me and my family, but how can I still "love" it?

Anyway, just rambling along as I'm slow at work and just trying to figure things out.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My grandma had her gallbladder removed over 30 years ago and she is fit as a tune. Whatever God's reason for giving us a gallbladder and appendix, I'm glad he made them removable without any future detriment.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
My grandma had her gallbladder removed over 30 years ago and she is fit as a tune. Whatever God's reason for giving us a gallbladder and appendix, I'm glad he made them removable without any future detriment.
Thanks Thanos. I've just read that a lot of people have problems afterwards with digestion and pain even though it's gone. Just trying to do all my research. Do you know if she has to take any mess related to the removal of the GB? My friend who had hers removed said I'll have to take pancreatic enzymes for the rest of my life.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lost my gallbladder 23 years ago and have never once noticed anything different! It he doctor first tried dissolving the stones via some type of medicine but it didn't work. Surgery was quick and easy!
Old 07-21-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can't seem to make a new thread, so I copied and pasted what I was going to post in a new thread here...

So I'm about to head home and thought I would post here first. I usually stop at the store next to work before my 30 min drive. I won't be doing that today. And hopefully never again.

If you read my post from earlier today, today is day 2. I'm changing my lifestyle for my health and family. It's going to be hard. This is the worst time of day for me.

I also thought about challenging myself and get past my previous record of 40 something days and get to 50, but then I feel like I might be setting myself up for failure - my thought is that if I do reach my "goal" then I'll say, ok celebrate with a drink.

I know I just need to take one day at a time.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
I also thought about challenging myself and get past my previous record of 40 something days and get to 50, but then I feel like I might be setting myself up for failure - my thought is that if I do reach my "goal" then I'll say, ok celebrate with a drink.
First, welcome back to SR Jillian.

Second, totally agree. It's really one day at a time. Every morning you wake up, promise yourself you'll stay sober for 24 hours. Nothing more, nothing less. Keep doing that every morning when you wake up. Don't get too caught up in the future.

Sorry to hear about your gallbladder issues, and hope everything turns out fine.

And yeah, I can relate on the completely changing your lifestyle thing. I'll be doing that myself starting tomorrow, whether I want to or not.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
First, welcome back to SR Jillian. Second, totally agree. It's really one day at a time. Every morning you wake up, promise yourself you'll stay sober for 24 hours. Nothing more, nothing less. Keep doing that every morning when you wake up. Don't get too caught up in the future. Sorry to hear about your gallbladder issues, and hope everything turns out fine. And yeah, I can relate on the completely changing your lifestyle thing. I'll be doing that myself starting tomorrow, whether I want to or not.
Thanks Troy. I really have to learn to live one day at a time. And I feel like if I change my lifestyle, it will help me achieve my sobriety goals in the future. Plus I know I have the potential to live a healthy and happy life. I just got to do it!
Old 07-21-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Jillian, I had my gallbladder removed about 5 years ago. It's not a huge deal at all. I went in for day surgery, and was home for recovery. It felt like I did 1000 sit-ups my muscles hurt while they were healing. If anything, I was relieved because the slightest spicy food sent me into an attack, and it was painful. I have never ever felt anything even slightly off in my digestion since then. The only thing that bothers me is "chemically" foods, like aspartame or those donuts that sit in the bread aisle for months at a time at your local 7-11 store! I stick to real, whole food, and yes, I eat meat and dairy as well because I love a medium rare real Canadian angus beef steak!

Making a life style is very hard, and one of the hardest for me was quitting alcohol. I don't know if I really could give up on meat and dairy and red wine all in one day. I am crossing my fingers for you!

Day two is awesome, during your hardest time of day you should plan some activities. If you can, take a long run or walk, or hit the gym before you walk into the front door. Any change in routine will get you through the trigger moments.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
I can't seem to make a new thread, so I copied and pasted what I was going to post in a new thread here...

So I'm about to head home and thought I would post here first. I usually stop at the store next to work before my 30 min drive. I won't be doing that today. And hopefully never again.

If you read my post from earlier today, today is day 2. I'm changing my lifestyle for my health and family. It's going to be hard. This is the worst time of day for me.

I know I just need to take one day at a time.
Good idea to post in here as your personal "witching hour" hits. Keep building those accountability muscles! Hope you'll do so again when you get safely home to let us know you didn't stop at that store.

As far as starting new posts, there's a glitch in the forum right now where it oftentimes won't let you start a new thread unless it has a one word title. After you post it, you can then go back within the first 15 minutes of posting and edit the title to something longer if necessary. Hopefully they'll get this glitch fixed at some point.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Good idea to post in here as your personal "witching hour" hits. Keep building those accountability muscles! Hope you'll do so again when you get safely home to let us know you didn't stop at that store. As far as starting new posts, there's a glitch in the forum right now where it oftentimes won't let you start a new thread unless it has a one word title. After you post it, you can then go back within the first 15 minutes of posting and edit the title to something longer if necessary. Hopefully they'll get this glitch fixed at some point.
Just a quick note bc I have to get dinner going, but I'm home without stopping for beer!

Thanks for the info on the threads...
Old 07-21-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Jillian

D
Old 07-21-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cauliflower View Post
Hi Jillian, I had my gallbladder removed about 5 years ago. It's not a huge deal at all. I went in for day surgery, and was home for recovery. It felt like I did 1000 sit-ups my muscles hurt while they were healing. If anything, I was relieved because the slightest spicy food sent me into an attack, and it was painful. I have never ever felt anything even slightly off in my digestion since then. The only thing that bothers me is "chemically" foods, like aspartame or those donuts that sit in the bread aisle for months at a time at your local 7-11 store! I stick to real, whole food, and yes, I eat meat and dairy as well because I love a medium rare real Canadian angus beef steak! Making a life style is very hard, and one of the hardest for me was quitting alcohol. I don't know if I really could give up on meat and dairy and red wine all in one day. I am crossing my fingers for you! Day two is awesome, during your hardest time of day you should plan some activities. If you can, take a long run or walk, or hit the gym before you walk into the front door. Any change in routine will get you through the trigger moments.
Thanks for telling me your story
Yeah it's going to be tough - especially since I'm cooking hamburgers tonight. If I really want to stick with this whole lifestyle, I'll have to relearn cooking. And I do love steak. But right now I guess I'm just limiting animal fats and watching what I eat.

I guess once I talk with the surgeon, I'll make a decision. Really don't want to have it removed but I must, I must....
Old 07-21-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I believe in doing your own homework on your health. With that being said, if he/she is recommending it, it might be wise to listen. The reason I mention doing your own homework is because at the end of the day, healthcare is a business, and business is a code word for money (whole different discussion there). Congrats on day 2, this might just be the motivation you need to change your drinking habits. Also, great job on getting home WITHOUT the beer.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi, Jillian. Nice work tonight! Coming home is my hardest time, too. I used to like to get the wine going before dinner so it helps to eat something not long after I come in the door.