Notices

That Uncomfortable, Sinking Feeling

Old 07-21-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I always try to keep in mind that those involved in posting does not give the full picture, as I type this there are 66 registered members online and 290 visiting guests.

Someone somewhere may be looking in from a very bad place, a place I once was myself, looking for just a bit of hope, and maybe simply reading a thread may just be enough to give them something that could maybe down the line change their lives one day!!
Old 07-21-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I post very little because I'm still in the early stages of recovery; don't have a lot to offer. I still read and absorb as much information as possible. I think there are a lot of people that do this. Don't get discouraged because people seem to away. They may still be there. In the end it's your recovery that matters.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The greatest support I got was from the group in APRIL 2015 and from the chat meetings on tue and fri.

I was surprised at how many people had it as bad off as I did. I knew I wasn't alone, but I was pleasantly surprised at how many had it as bad or even worse.

It was also interesting to witness how many of us in April went through the same issues at the same time. It became obvious to me that if I could get a glimpse into the future by following those a few weeks ahead of me. That gave me strength.

I also found that as people replied to my posts in April or in general newcomers, I was motivated to continue. Which is why I try to reach out to newbs. I'll try to say more than "welcome" and I'll normally send PM's to those who seemed to be experiencing what I went through. Reaching out keeps me focused on my fight. And I am super thankful for be recognized by some people that I really look up to as being there for them. Feels awesome, and again, strengthens my resolve.

You'll usually find me recommending newbs to join A group, like July. It makes a difference, I think, touching base with the same people every day. With so many personalities and experiences, there's always great support when needed. And normally, I find, the people in my group cheered louder, hugged more, and gave more overall support than the general lobby. Just my experience.

The general lobby is great for global discussion or for seeking answers from those further ahead in their sobriety. Not to mention somebody coming to post "day 1".

I'll say this....
SR is awesome and I am extremely thankful for everyone in the group and I especially LOVE everyone in APRIL 2015. Got some fine folks there.

Not to put down the other months. I keep my tabs in May and July. I got lazy while June was developing. Each group I watch is awesome. There's an honest family feel for each.

For those that a new....I highly suggest joining July and I highly suggest joining the chat meetings on tue and fri.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi,
I read posts for 2 years until finally making an attempt to get sober 3 weeks ago and joining SR. I posted a couple times, but also started going to AA and have gotten so much physical support that has helped me tremendously. I'm 5 days sober, going to as many meetings as I can, but find checking in with SR is great when I'm at home, although I haven't posted lately. I do wonder the same thing though both on SR and in AA though.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

CarolD was a long-time member here, a Moderator and all-round amazing person. She focused on the moment, would not allow herself to be caught up in drama and always knew the precise thing to say to a member in need. One of her famous lines that stays with me was 'Members come and members go, and I bless them all on their journey.'
Old 07-21-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I posted and vanished a few times before I got serious. Then I was here for months and months while I got better and stronger. Now, I'm not around as much because my life has gotten so much bigger and fuller without the drink in it. I miss people who were here and are not any longer, but I hope they are also out living a good life. I come back to say hi from time to time so I'm not one of those "vanished" people.

Good for you on your 18 days, toadie!
Old 07-21-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
As I've grown close to others here, I've had to learn to not let their bad decisions, slides, and/or relapses affect my own recovery. All I can do is keep offering my experience, strength, and hope to others here on a daily basis. I have no control over others in any way at all. Sometimes that's easier said than done as I want everyone here to experience the same miraculous changes in their life that I am here on day 75 of continuous sobriety.
I have noticed that you're really good at that Casey, supporting others no matter what, I admire you for it.
I can't usually respond to stories of relapse, though I think I may have tried the odd one or two. It's not about the post or the member, it's entirely about me. My recovery feels way too new and fragile for me to offer empathy............ I'm just too damn scared it will be me...... feels too close............. bla bla. I confess I try to focus on folk doing well, even if it's just celebrating day one or clearly determined to try. Maybe I'll get less fearful as time goes on.
We're all different, good job there's plenty of us. x
Old 07-21-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Thanks again to all who responded.

I just recounted my days and today is actually day 19...not tracking my days very well am I?
Old 07-21-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a hard one Toadie - but it's part of the community experience here.

People come and people go - but what might not be apparent is the number of people who come back later under other names, or the people who use SR for a short time, get their shizz together and go back to sober lives.

There's also the many folks who may happen to read something you or I may have written to someone else and it helps them change their lives

You can look at the bars on the windows or you can look past them to the stars in the sky...

I like looking at stars.

I think we really do make a difference
D
Old 07-21-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Regardless of how many come and go. Regardless of the dismal recovery rates. I absolutely refuse to have anything other than a lifetime of sobriety and recovery . I know a bunch of people who have 30+ years and God willing I plan on being one of them some day
Old 07-22-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Regardless of how many come and go. Regardless of the dismal recovery rates. I absolutely refuse to have anything other than a lifetime of sobriety and recovery . I know a bunch of people who have 30+ years and God willing I plan on being one of them some day
I like your resolve, MIRecovery!

I know you have to put yourself first in recovery, but my original topic creation and post just came from the thoughts I get when someone reaches out here on SR for help and/or support and then vanishes. I realize this (like many things in our lives) is out of our control.

for your post.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Toadie I have a lot of emotional investment in this place as we all do. People do vanish and, after two and a half years here, I'm still sad when they do whether it's after one post or 100. Communities IRL and on the 'Net change, it's the nature of the human condition. What matters most is that we do the best we can in the moment, part of the acceptance I've learned in sobriety is that my very best is enough.