SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I Used To Know This Guy (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/371984-i-used-know-guy.html)

Ultramarathoner 07-20-2015 04:52 PM

I Used To Know This Guy

Nearly one year ago I knew this guy who was a daily drinker. Good guy, good family, good job. Just drank to much too often.

He recognized there was an issue when he found himself thinking about alcohol too much- sometimes it would be he first thing that popped into his head in the morning. Sometimes he drank in the morning to manage a hangover.

So, he tried to reduce his alcohol. Drinking only with others, drinking only beer, drinking only a certain number per week, etc. He describes this exercise as mentally taxing and unsuccessful.

He flirted with quitting yet lacked the courage of those on this board to make an absolute decision. So, he continued to moderate until he nearly died.

A significant health issue allowed him greater clarity on the type of life this guy wanted to live and the legacy he wanted to leave. Ironically the health scare had nothing to do with alcohol but provided the push he needed to quit.

This guy approached the journey pretty untraditionally. No labels, no meetings, no counting. His keys?

1. Creating Intense Accountability and Accepting Forever Immediately by including his 10 year old in this decision to be healthier.

2. Recognizing and communicating that his decision is a choice, not punishment. Powerful.

3. Spending time on this website daily where being alcohol free is the norm rather than the exception. The thoughtfulness and generosity of spirit of those on the board is tremendous.

Fast forward a year or so. Saw the guy in the mirror today while shaving. He's happier, healthier, and more prosperous. Every aspect of his life has improved. He's contentedly working in tandem rather than against the Universe and his place in it. He's training for a marathon and an ultra marathon in October.

I'm proud of the courage and resolve that everyone on the board possesses (members or not) and genuinely beleive that everyone has the power within them to accomplish this epic goal.

FeenixxRising 07-20-2015 04:55 PM

Great story Ultra; thank you for sharing.

PurpleKnight 07-20-2015 05:06 PM

Fantastic inspirational post!! :You_Rock_

least 07-20-2015 05:11 PM

I used to know someone like that too, only now she's got her life together and is a lot happier sober. :)

Nonsensical 07-20-2015 05:13 PM

Fantastic post! :scoregood

Soberpotamus 07-20-2015 05:16 PM

Great post, and congrats :)

Marcher13 07-20-2015 05:20 PM

Ultramarathoner I really like the guy the guy you knew became.

Tooshabby 07-20-2015 05:23 PM

Thanks so much. Inspiring.

Fly N Buy 07-20-2015 05:32 PM

Well Struck Sir!!!!

Inspirational - keep up the good work!:c011:

Hope2014 07-20-2015 05:36 PM

Well done Marathonman!!! Very inspiring.:You_Rock_

Dee74 07-20-2015 05:37 PM

Congrats Ultramarathoner - Great post & a great journey :)

D

DaSilverSurfer 07-20-2015 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner (Post 5474568)
Nearly one year ago I knew this guy who was a daily drinker. Good guy, good family, good job. Just drank to much too often.

He recognized there was an issue when he found himself thinking about alcohol too much- sometimes it would be he first thing that popped into his head in the morning. Sometimes he drank in the morning to manage a hangover.

So, he tried to reduce his alcohol. Drinking only with others, drinking only beer, drinking only a certain number per week, etc. He describes this exercise as mentally taxing and unsuccessful.

He flirted with quitting yet lacked the courage of those on this board to make an absolute decision. So, he continued to moderate until he nearly died.

A significant health issue allowed him greater clarity on the type of life this guy wanted to live and the legacy he wanted to leave. Ironically the health scare had nothing to do with alcohol but provided the push he needed to quit.

This guy approached the journey pretty untraditionally. No labels, no meetings, no counting. His keys?

1. Creating Intense Accountability and Accepting Forever Immediately by including his 10 year old in this decision to be healthier.

2. Recognizing and communicating that his decision is a choice, not punishment. Powerful.

3. Spending time on this website daily where being alcohol free is the norm rather than the exception. The thoughtfulness and generosity of spirit of those on the board is tremendous.

Fast forward a year or so. Saw the guy in the mirror today while shaving. He's happier, healthier, and more prosperous. Every aspect of his life has improved. He's contentedly working in tandem rather than against the Universe and his place in it. He's training for a marathon and an ultra marathon in October.

I'm proud of the courage and resolve that everyone on the board possesses (members or not) and genuinely beleive that everyone has the power within them to accomplish this epic goal.

Phenomenal post Ultra, very inspirational, and its great to meet that guy :You_Rock_:c011:

gettingsmarter 07-20-2015 05:42 PM

Love it Ultramarathoner

Venecia 07-20-2015 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner (Post 5474568)

And I'm proud of you, Ultramarathoner.

What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your experiences -- they are a motivation and inspiration to everyone.

You rock!

toadie54 07-20-2015 06:21 PM

Well crafted story, and the ending is phenomenal...or is it only the beginning???

wehav2day 07-20-2015 06:31 PM

Well done ultra, great post!

Ruby2 07-20-2015 07:56 PM

Congratulations and thank you. That was inspired!

Cauliflower 07-20-2015 08:22 PM

Thank you for sharing.....great post!

CaseyW 07-20-2015 09:14 PM

Congratulations on your recovery, UM. Keep on keeping on!

JJ9 07-20-2015 09:35 PM

Super inspirational post! Just awesome!