Notices

New, anxiety

Old 09-26-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I have considered it, but it's not gonna happen. The most i have done is simple walks around the block. The anexity is too intense. I have been to the doctors before for this and was offered medication to treat it. I do not want to put anymore mind altering substances into my body. I have read it takes some time for the gabba recetors in the brain to heal. The terrible thing is I know how to make it all stop, the solution is only a couple swigs away. Errrrrr!!!
Old 09-26-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JayG123 View Post
I have considered it, but it's not gonna happen. The most i have done is simple walks around the block. The anexity is too intense. I have been to the doctors before for this and was offered medication to treat it. I do not want to put anymore mind altering substances into my body. I have read it takes some time for the gabba recetors in the brain to heal. The terrible thing is I know how to make it all stop, the solution is only a couple swigs away. Errrrrr!!!
Maybe you don't mean when you say the solution is taking a few swigs...I sure hope not. Drinking now will only make things worse for your brain healing. Keep on healing. Continue to tell yourself that your brain is healing. It does take time and patience. Hang in there...
Old 09-27-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

No, I will not drink again!! What I mean is, alochol does work for my anxiety. I could have a drink and I would have the courage to go into the world that have shut out. I know that doing so is a band-aid on a bullet wound. The rebound anxiety would be horrible!! It's not a feasible option. So I will continue to wait it out, push myself slowly but surely in the proper direction. I will keep reaching out to cyberspace with hopes that someone reads this, that is in or has been in a similar place. May strengh find you all !!
Old 09-27-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Originally Posted by JayG123 View Post
No, I will not drink again!! What I mean is, alochol does work for my anxiety. I could have a drink and I would have the courage to go into the world that have shut out. I know that doing so is a band-aid on a bullet wound. The rebound anxiety would be horrible!! It's not a feasible option. So I will continue to wait it out, push myself slowly but surely in the proper direction. I will keep reaching out to cyberspace with hopes that someone reads this, that is in or has been in a similar place. May strengh find you all !!
But this is incorrect, drinking actually makes your anxiety worse. Yes it is a temporary band aid for a couple of hours but then it wears off and is that much worse than it was before.

Look at what I posted before, I have anxiety issues as well. 3 months still it was there intense at times, 6 months still but less often and now at 9 I am so much better I rarely get it. It was such a gradual come down from the anxiety that it is not instantly noticeable but my wife can tell. I was expecting to go from one day having anxiety to one day all gone but it did not work that way. Give it time and remember it was much worse 3 months ago.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I agree. Keeping my eyes on the prize!! Appreciate the advice. We're u ever housebound?
Old 09-27-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

My experience was similar to sva777. Time takes time. Remember this feeling, write it out on here so you can look back at it - this horrible anxiety is the price that is paid for drinking alcohol.

I agree that adding a drug to make it better isn't really dealing with the issue, I think the raw discomfort is a good thing in the end. I nevernevernevernever ever want to do that again.

Hang on, my friend.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

JayG123 -

I avoid doctors most of the time myself.

When I stopped drinking I had lingering symptoms - foggy brain, anxiety, etc. I tried for a long time to self treat before finally reaching out to a doctor. She was able to treat me drug free and I started feeling better within a week.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't have waited so long. YMMV.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

What I mean is, alochol does work for my anxiety.
Like others have said, it really doesn't Jay.

It doesn't cure anything - it just kinda smooshes it to one side for a while. We both know it comes back.

The more dependent I became on alcohol the worse my anxiety got - I not only had the original anxiety but then also the anxiety of wanting my 'alcohol fix'

I've been housebound through anxiety before but only when drinking. If you're effectively housebound now, I think you really need to see your Doc.

Being a prisoner in your own home is a pretty crappy way to live.

Even if you're against meds, it must be worthwhile hearing what they have to say, Jay?
Old 09-27-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Yes dee, being a prisoner in my own home is a very crappy way to live!! Belive me I am working on it !! I know it sounds pathetic but some days I pat myself on the back for just going into the yard to mow the grass. Baby steps I suppose. Like blue was saying, it was worse than this in the first month of recovery so its logical to assume it will be better than this in a few months.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emme99 View Post
Welcome JayG123 I have about the same number of sober days as you and have occasional panic attacks. Most of the time mine occur at night when I am trying to get to sleep. I don't recommend drinking. I usually close my eyes and focus on my breathing which seems to help me relax and get through them.
I've had 2 actual panic attacks and they've happened the same way.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

The book I read which really helped me was Healing Anxiety Naturally by Harold H. Bloomfield. I pulled it out again after a panic attack Friday night and realized I hadn't finished it--still have about a third to read and just sitting there reading it was incredibly helpful. I felt like I had the anxiety stuff down after reading that much but obviously need to finish. This is one I'm going to keep around. It has a big section on what supplements help too. One of the reasons for my recent attack probably had much to do with the fact I've been without yoga the last 3 weeks--there was a break between summer and fall.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

So I wanted to take a second to to clarify something that I was not honest about when I started this thread. 10 years ago I was prescribed xanax for panic attacks. For the first few years I would only take a .25 mg maybe once or twice a month during periods of high stress. Fast foward about five years... My drinking had increased and so did my anxiety. My xanax use gradually increased to .25 mg daily, then to .5 mg daily and then most recently 1mg dailybefore I quit everything cold turkey 7 months ago. I realize now that I had been going through dose tolerance for years and would supliment with alcohol. I would mitigate my xanax withdrawls with alochol, at the same time mitigating my alochol withdrawals with Xanax. A truly vicious and debilitating cycle!! I was given this medication by my doctor and never abused it, well other than drinking while it was in my system. I was very naive to how dependent a person becomes on this toxic combonation. Initally I was embarassed to admit my need for this medication, hense i withheld this information in my early posts. I have now come to a much better understanding of what is going on in my mind and body during this recovery process. Things are still pretty tough as to be expected with this type of addiction. I just wanted anyone that may come accross this thread to know that things do slowly get better. Im not out of the woods yet, but I know the edge is there.
Having support during this time is crucial ! I would love to hear from anyone out there who has had a similar experience to mine. Any advice you have, any advice you need. Together we can overcome!
Old 01-09-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Question Jay, is 1 mg of Xanax a lot? I have been prescribed 5 mg of Valium for muscle spasms and I break them in half. But I have not taken them in a long time. I did not seem to experience any type of withdrawal.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

1 mg of xanax is a moderate dose. It is the equivalent of 5 mg of Valium. The biggest difference between the two is Valium has a much longer half life, meaning it stays in your system longer. Xanax goes to work faster buts wears off quickly, and for me it would put me into interdose withdrawl. Many people I have talked to were switched from xanax to Valium during the taper process because of its longer lasting effects. I unfortunatley cold turkeyed, which made things considerably worse. I didn't give my body any chance to adjust to not having the medicine. Coupled with alochol withdrawls sent me into a seizure, and a nightmare of an acute phase. A smart taper is the way to go! How long have you been taking the Valium thomas?
Old 01-09-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I can definitely relate to the anxiety. I have been a worrier since I was a kid, but as I got older my anxiety increased. I have worked on remaining in the present, doing yoga, and breathing, all of these help. However, I also have a prescription from the doctor for times when o feel very anxious, it may be worth talking to your doctor.

Hope you start to feel better soon.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:48 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I took Xanax while I was drinking for anxiety on and off for ten years. Anywhere from,. 25 to 1mg at a time. Most of the time I would not mix he two but the last time I did and my wife took me to the hospital. After I quit both last January my anxiety was awful for months. It did calm down at month nine or so to a comfortable spot. I still have the Xanax for flying but I have my wife keep it at work far away from me.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Thanks for the feedback, i too have a "rescue dose" stash of a few pills. Believe me I have sat and starred those little buggers more than a few times over the past months My biggest concern is all the reading I've done on kindling. Anything that could possibly send me back into the acute phase scares the hell out of me!!