Notices

New, anxiety

Old 07-22-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober time! My anxiety settled down a lot a few months after I got sober. It will get better.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder - please do share your experience - but don't recommend medications etc. for others. That runs counter to our no medical advice rule.

thanks

Dee
SR
Old 07-22-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by Sadie1 View Post
Valerian root is not addicting, over the counter, safe. Smells foul, but it helps the take the edge off anxiety.

Lots on You Tube regarding guided imagery or meditation for anxiety, and deep breathing for anxiety, I have found those helpful too. Best to you!!
i found the extract of valerian root to work ok i needed strong doeses in my case and it only worked for an hour or two and sometimes it back fired and went the other way.

GABA worked for a little bit then it didnt. 5htp worked well but you have to avoid that if your on any kind of an SSRI already.

meditation diet and exercise also help. There is nomagical cure it takes time for things to even out and till then all we can do is work with it.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 44 days, a huge accomplishment! In my personal experience (heavy drinking for years like you), the withdrawal symptoms were similar. It gets better with time, and in my case, meds, but it's definitely uncomfortable. The unrelenting anxiety, sleeplessness and dizziness were awful, but they did get so much better. I'm 9 months sober now and only have anxiety attacks occasionally. Alcohol was my medicine too and it took my brain a long time to get past that crutch and deal with it.

Hang in there as it will get better!
Old 07-23-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JayG123 View Post
Thank you for the insight John. Is magnesium over the counter? How much of that would you take? Anything to take down the panic down a notch would be greatly welcomed !!!
Caveat: Magnesium simply helped reduce my anxiety, I recommend asking your doctor if that or any other supplement may be right for you.

That said, it's simply a vitamin (mineral to be exact, but it's 100% over the counter). I just took 1 vitamin pill as per the directions. Another thing that seemed to help was a vitamin called L-Theanine, which is also over-the-counter and can be found at whole foods or one of those vitamin shops. It's an extract from green tea that helps promote calmness. Again, it worked for me and it may not work for you. These are just over-the-counter vitamins and are not intended or approved to treat any disease.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

So it has now been 9 weeks without a drink!!! The anxiety has lessened ever so slightly. It still very much has contol over me. I am keeping my eyes on the three month mark and hoping there will be a breakthrough by then!!! Something new that has been developing is very strong headaches that radiate up the neck to the temples. I have been drinking lots of water and talking multi vitamins, I wonder if this is a symptom of PAWS? Trying to stay positive and keep my thoughts on the life that is ahead of me! Anyone with anxiety and or migranes after quitting please chime in, I would love to hear from you!!!
Old 08-14-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It could be a number of things. first and foremost, drinking won't "help". I find a trip to the chiropractor or message therapist helpful as it releases chemicals in the body that cause the tension you are referring to. Wish you the best.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you thought about seeing a Dr for your headaches Jay - they sound pretty debilitating?

D
Old 08-14-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Jay, you are on a similar path as me. Congrats on your progress.

Your body is scaring you into trying drinking. Mine did too, but I fought it off.

My progress started with feeling good sitting still, then feeling better moving in familiar place, then sitting still in unfamilar places, etc.

Bottom line..it got progressively better. SR said it was my brain rewiring.

I never had anxiety attacks as a kid, but I drank as a kid. It was fun at the time.

When I quit anxiety was everywhere. At 44 days, it was still pretty bad.

Now, after 96 days, it is moderate to minor periodically except when I drive on the highway.

It also gets better or worse if i am tired while driving. So, based on the fact that it has gotten better so far, I expect it to continually get better.

I have read to face it head on. To put myself in uncomfortable situations and deal with it. Seems to work.

Drinking again will nullify it for 1 day and then it is back again, and I am on day 1.

No thanks.

I don't know what others feels, so if a person needs meds, I dare not judge.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

9 Weeks is fantastic Jay!!
Old 08-14-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I got headaches when I slept a lot. Felt like I was hungover.

For me they passed.

What helped me, i believe, was I worked out pretty hard with my new energy.

I started with some basic exercises off of YouTube. Got that heart rate up, sweated.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I started getting panic attacks in my mid 30's. Leaving my house was torture. Couldn't drive highways or shop for food. Couldn't do anything. The panic attacks would actually cause severe pain in my stomach, doubling me over. I don't know how I did it, but I was eventually able to see a doctor. I'll never forget the relief I felt when he told me he could help me. He put me on meds. Once the meds kicked in, I went to group therapy that dealt specifically with anxiety and panic attacks. I still have minor panic attacks today, but I've found ways to deal with them. Hopefully, you'll find a way to see a doctor. I really feel for you. Take care. John
Old 08-14-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your supportive words. A few more days gone by and still sober !! I have to tell you a big concern of mine is, going to the doctor will result in a prescription for xanax that I know can be very addicting!! I have already demonstrated my weakness in regards to addiction and don't want to start a new viscous cycle. Has anyone had any experience with anything like this?
I am on meds that are non-narcotic. You could ask for them. John
Old 08-14-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm at 30 days sober and agree with the magnesium supplement for stress and anxiety. I use Natural Vitality Calm. It's a powder I got at the health food store. It has great reviews on Amazon. But always check with your Dr.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I used to get migraines. I don't know if you are getting migraines or something else. Migraines are debilitating and have several causes - all of which need a doctor's intervention. A migraine may or may not come with a visual aura and will include severe light and sound sensitivity, nausea, and vomiting. They are most commonly on one side of the head. They can be really serious, see a doctor.

If your headaches start in your neck (and if you don't think they are migraines) or if your neck and/or shoulders are painful/tight, then maybe try sleeping with a very flat pillow on a firm surface and sleep on your side or your back for two or three days and see if that helps. It works for me.

Dehydration is also a common cause for headaches. Try drinking two liters of water every day.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:49 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I read a book on anxiety that helped--it was just an old one I found at goodwill, but it was great and they recommended some herbal stuff in there I think helped me. I've been taking yoga-- that helps a Lot. I've been listening to a book on cd by Claire Weekes that I think would help you a lot. I've always had some anxiety issues-- shy, I'd get embarrassed and blush easy (red) different issues like that but when I quit drinking my anxiety went Sky High. You have to get it under control or it will only get worse.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Ugh, 3 1/2 months out and still struggling with headaches, dizziness and anexity. Always feel on edge, could this be a hardcore case of paws???? Anyone else still been bad off after this amount of time? Just looking for support ����
Old 09-26-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Adventurer

How is your anxiety? I have gone through a similar path as you and just keep at it. I am at 9 months and the anxiety is so much less now then it was at 6 or 3 months. It has been a slow but steady progression towards happiness.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

When I feel anxious or uptight I like to go for long walks outdoors-there is something about it that is very soothing. If I cannot go for a walk outdoors then I go to the gym and have a good workout.

When we quit drinking, there is a type of void in our lives: booze. We need to replace that with something healthy. Hope this helps.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ugh, 3 1/2 months out and still struggling with headaches, dizziness and anexity. Always feel on edge, could this be a hardcore case of paws???? Anyone else still been bad off after this amount of time? Just looking for support ����
Have you considered seeing a Dr, Jay?

D