Notices

Trying hard to start a new chapter

Old 07-21-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks Casey. Got that tip on the Dr. from you all! The nurse commended me and said she has been in the practice for 15 years and "right hand to God" I was the first person to come into the dr. Office and say "I have a problem with drinking". The whole experience was actually very comforting.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Btw... What is WSS?
Old 07-21-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Re-Member

WSS = WhySoSirius
Old 07-21-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Hi and Welcome. I was a 5oclock(actually 7pm) drinker pretty much daily for the 2 years Before I quit. It took 6 weeks for the depression to wear off so I don't remember too much anxiety right away. Anxiety is not a reason to drink anyway.
Something about your intro post struck me as something I felt. I didn't know how I was going to do it or if I could, I just knew it HAD to work. I felt as I was being given one chance to pull myself out of it and failure was not an option. I spent hours a day for several months hunkered down here and I have been successful. If you have to then you will find a way.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do you think you can 'lower the volume' on this trip WSS?
No offence to your Dr but thats something with no practical experience of alcoholism might say.

any chance of getting a second opinion?
D
Old 07-21-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to meet you WhySoSirius.

My husband and I were drinking buddies too. Unfortunately, neither of us had the sense to see the danger back then. I'd give anything to go back and stop while we still could. You're among friends here - we all understand & want to help.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi WhySoSirius, My comment on your business trip would probably not have been supported much on this site, I would have recommended teh same thing your Dr. did. Go on the trip, minimize your drinking, and tackle it head on when you get home. Great to hear your wife is in a safe place and getting better. I too have a small business and getting away is nearly impossible. I had to do it earlier this summer and by the grace of god was able to hold things together from a hospital bed. Wishing you the very best, and hope your trip is successful.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Casey: Now I feel really stupid!
Old 07-21-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Hi and Welcome. I was a 5oclock(actually 7pm) drinker pretty much daily for the 2 years Before I quit. It took 6 weeks for the depression to wear off so I don't remember too much anxiety right away. Anxiety is not a reason to drink anyway.
Something about your intro post struck me as something I felt. I didn't know how I was going to do it or if I could, I just knew it HAD to work. I felt as I was being given one chance to pull myself out of it and failure was not an option. I spent hours a day for several months hunkered down here and I have been successful. If you have to then you will find a way.
Thank you Silent. The wierd thing about this, which is surely part of the addiction, is that I've known this day was coming for probably over 10-12 years! It's time. I'm tired. I'm not myself. I'm done.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

D - well it's 9pm and I have a pretty comparable buzz to the average day. He didn't make me promise!

I think, based on the conversation, is that he didn't want to take the chance of any kind of medically serious withdrawal issues. I don't have any issues with how he handled the appointment - it was encouraging and that's probably most important of all. Cheers!
Old 07-21-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

WSS,

glad you got that name-initials thing figured out

and really good to hear you're done.
you're done and this is doable.
lots of different supports around f2f (face to face) and online.
welcome.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

You're going to be seeing my name a lot this weekend gang. I'm going to need you!