Notices

Is it genetic?

Old 07-20-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it genetic?

Quite concerned about this and never have found much on it. My dad is a full blown alcoholic
We don't have contact. My mother would be someone very fond of a drink and mostly gets drunk when she drinks. Never has just one or two and it would be very acceptable in her eyes to get drunk and stupid. Basically drink was a pretty big issue in my life growing up. Is it because I was exposed to all the drinking that it seemed normal and that's why I am how I am. Or is it in my genes. I am do worried for my kids who are all under 4 now so long way off yet. My husband and his entire family have no alcohol issues at all so I have hope that they will have all his genes in this regard!
Old 07-20-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I have no idea if it is genetic, but either way you have no control over your genes so why worry about it? Focus on the things you can control--like not taking that first drink today.

Be a shining example to your children today and in the coming weeks/months/years of how sobriety is a great way of life.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not a geneticist, so can't really say, and I don't believe they currently know either, even though they have mapped out DNA completely.

Personally, I don't think alcoholism in and of itself is genetic. However, the addictive personality very well could be. For example, I don't do anything half a$$ed -- love, work, healthy living, learning, etc. Then there's also the negatives -- I drink like an all star, and can become as useless as a homeless bum.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe it's possible to become a full blown alcoholic unless you have that addictive personality trait to you. Even if you have it though, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll become an alcoholic. Loads of people are like that, and they're not all drunks. Some of the most successful people in the world have that trait, hence how they became successful.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Willow3 View Post
Is it because I was exposed to all the drinking that it seemed normal and that's why I am how I am. Or is it in my genes. I am do worried for my kids who are all under 4 now so long way off yet.
You have no control over the genes your children have. But you do have control over their exposure to your drinking. Four years old isn't too young to suffer the effects of a drinking parent. I hope you are striving to get and remain sober.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You have no control over the genes your children have. But you do have control over their exposure to your drinking. Four years old isn't too young to suffer the effects of a drinking parent. I hope you are striving to get and remain sober.
They haven't actually seen me drinking. It is always after bed at weekends. But yes if I am not 100 percent the next day then they can probably see that. That is what is spurring me on right now at this point as I think it is just a matter of time until I progress.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Currently on day 10 of no drinking.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on double digits, Willow! You're making a wise life change for yourself and your children.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willow3 View Post
Is it because I was exposed to all the drinking that it seemed normal and that's why I am how I am.
Hey Willow. If that's how you feel you have the power to ensure the same mistakes aren't made again. That's the important part as Carl said.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Casey. For once I feel proud of myself. I'm usually harsh on myself.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not sure if its genetic but from my experience the behaviors can be taught. Heard stories of my dads fraternity parties my whole life. When i was a very young (maybe 10 years old) I used to say that I couldn't wait to turn 21.

Congrats on 10.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Does it really matter if it's genetic? As far as I know, nobody in my family or my family's family had a problem with drinking. This seemed to always puzzle people at the treatment centers like I was hiding something, but what difference does it make? Maybe two genes bumped into each other and there you have it. I am a drunk and I know it. I love history and trying to understand why things are the way they are, but the only important thing is what's going on today. Today, I know I'm an alcoholic, so I don't drink. Genetics and understand the why of things is cool stuff, but it doesn't change what's going on with me today. Today, I just don't drink. Me and my families history or the history I will live has nothing to do with today.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on 10 days! Keep up the good work! From my experience, it starts out with good intentions of not letting your children see you drink and then fast forward, you wind up apologizing and explaining your problem to a 17 year old if you don't stop. That was my case anyways. I wish I could have realized my problem earlier, so that I might have spared my son any pain or embarrassment that my drinking has caused. I grew up watching my father's trainwreck of a life and I haven't seen him in 19 years due to his alcoholism. I vowed to never be like him. I agree that it is possible for an addictive personality trait to be passed on. As for my son, I can't take back anything that I have done in the past but I can make him proud of me now and in the future. You have that power now. Don't wait until it is too late!
Old 07-20-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Don't assume that kids won't pick up on certain things in a household without actually seeing it.

I knew alcohol was tearing my parent's marriage a part at the age of 4 without ever seeing my dad drink first hand, the conversations that were going on, the comments, the atmosphere in the home, in hindsight I was pretty spot on when they finally got divorced.

Anyways this is the only thing that is within our control, our own drinking and the example we can set for others.

Onwards and upwards Willow, Day 10 is fantastic!!
Old 07-20-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Pit Blls are the most ferocious and meanest dogs ever. They attack without provocation and will seriously injure or kill.

Pit Bulls are the most gentle, sweetest and most loyal dogs who wouldn't hurt a flea.

It all depends on their environment and how they were trained and treated.

Take two dogs from the same litter and this can be proven.

What does this have to do with alcoholism? Just something to think about.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 10 Willow
Old 07-20-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Willow3, You touched on two areas that I am quite familiar with. I grew up around alcohol, it was normal. But some things that occurred were certainly not normal. I only realized this when I became an adult, as a kid, I did not know any different. Regarding genetics, its a great question, but ultimately; does it really matter. Whether the answer is yes or no, probably makes no differenc. Particularly if you have or think you have a problem. Do you see or feel benefits on your 10 days of sobriety (which is awesome BTW)? Wishing you the best.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't know if it's genetics or environment. A doctor once told me it was environment.

I have a severely alcoholic maternal uncle and one paternal uncle. My mother is a sever alcoholic (only since she turned about 40yrs old) who gets the shakes if she doesn't get a drink (one of the main reasons I want to give up is that I don't want to look like her when she has the shakes, it's very sad), my younger brother is a heavy drinker and my older brother is a slightly less heavy drinker. But my dad only has a couple of drinks when he's being social.

My brothers and I grew up in the country where it was normal to get smashed every weekend.

In my humble opinion it's more environment than genes.